Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 2, 2014
In the wake of the supposedly apocalyptic (no relation) events chronicled in AVENGERS VS X-MEN, the Avengers and several mutant camps decided that there needed to be some visible sort of unity squad, composed of Avengers and X-Men-associated mutants. And thus was born the UNCANNY AVENGERS.

Far more interesting to me than the volcanic mix of personalities on the unity squad is the way the writer, Rick Remender, tries to balance out the bad guys so that some are from Avengers lore and some are associated with the X-Men. For instance, in the first compilation, the Red Skull stole the brain of the late Charles "Professor X" Xavier, implanted the telepathic bits in his own brain and then began broadcasting the Nazi hate for which he is so justly reviled. That was a nice job combining the two elements.

This time around it's a bit more. . . odd. See, before penning the UNCANNY AVENGERS, Remender was best known for a long, intricate and very involved X-Force story that introduced the world to the Apocalypse Twins, the spawn of Apocalypse. Well, surprise surprise but they're back. This time, though, they've been aged and put through some difficulties by none other than that Temporal Terror, Kang the Warlord. Thus we have the Apocalypse Twins (sort of) from the X-Men and Kang from the Avengers.

Remender seems to like nothing more than writing a huge, epic struggle in which worlds end, heroes die, and bad guys do those things that make them bad guys. Which is to say that there is a LOT of stuff happening here in this first volume of the Apocalypse Twins. Yes, the first volume. The story does not conclude with the end of this compilation. Now, don't hold me to this, but I think the story still is ongoing in the periodicals with a vastly rising body count that has temporal reset button written all over it.

The story here is, as I said, from Remender and is, in fact, intricate, huge and involved. What it's not is fun. I found that, despite all the blood and (sometimes literal) thunder (hello, Thor), I had to work to keep myself involved with and interested in the story. Maybe it was the lack of subtlety in the characterization. We have characters announcing how they feel, rather than seeing it happen to them and watching them demonstrate their feelings.

Whatever the reason, this story sat on my to-read shelf for much longer than I thought it would. Remender reaches for the stars here, but I think he misses with this compilation. I might change my mind when I finally read the ending of the story. But, for now, three stars is the most I could give it.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 19, 2014
There are several Avengers books out there and this could be one of the better ones. This is less of a group book but features different splinter factions and sub-groups of the X-men and the Avengers, having a go at each other. The good news is: it's pretty engaging. Not always logical, but it holds the attention nonetheless and probably merits re-reading.

Kang has never been my favourite villain, but this is actually one of his better moments. There's a lot at stake and lots of confusion in this Marvel Noir landscape.

Besides the writing, the artwork is solid and overall a nice direction for the book to move in.
on June 22, 2016
it was alright i guess. It didnt really make any sense because it went from red skull to the twins...story was a bit boring as well and at times, hard to follow.
on December 3, 2013
I really enjoyed this story, it was interesting to see how decisions made so far in the past come back into the future. At some points it gets pretty outerspacey with the Celestials and whom the The Apocalypse Twins interact with, but it works into the plot just fine. The Age of Ultron comic within the story shows us how the Apocalypse twins come to be who they are later, also the Age of Ultron Havok looks cooler to me. The more I read through this, the more i realize this is a direct sequel to Rick Remenders Uncanny X-Force run, and i'm loving it.

Also Captain America mentions he was away in Dimension Z for awhile so he feels outta the loop( another Remender story). The little things like that that bind the stories just make it all the more better.

Vol 1 was a good intro, Vol 2 blows it out of the water
on May 9, 2016
Good read, very enjoyable, great story.
on October 27, 2016
ALL GOOD
on February 20, 2015
The only thing I found good about this volume was that it could be placed under my side table to keep it from wobbling. Maybe I don't read enough Marvel to understand it, but are they saying Wolverine is now more than a 1000 years old? Living in 1013 CE? The Wasp not only coming off as an unreasonable distrusting X-men hater, but also a vixen? She has proven herself as a strong smart leader so many times that this Wasp I wasn't even sure who it was when she appeared. I bought this from AMAZON along with Volume 3 which I have not started yet, but can only hope the story/writing turns around. I just started reading HICKMANS Avengers and you can see that his story is something "bigger" that there is a payoff coming....similar to his FF. Wish Uncanny Avengers Volume 2 felt like that.
on August 4, 2015
Satisfied
on November 25, 2016
Good art and story. A bit confusing and hard to fallow.
on January 13, 2015