Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Top Contributor: Bakingon March 18, 2013
I LOVE this play.

It first came out right about at the time when I was choosing a college. I saw it as an affirmation of choosing the only women's college that was available to me... which was nonetheless EXCELLENT in chemistry, my chosen field of study.

More to the point, though- we WERE "uncommon women", and attending a college that did not sideline us in favor of the boys was so important! I regret that my own daughter has not had that experience.

As far as the play goes- I knew instances of ALL these women. At one point a local theater group put it on, and a whole bunch of us bought tickets and attended.

I wish popular culture had moved enough past it in these past 25-30 years to make many of the dilemmas irrelevant. But I love it, and for younger women- well, this is a snapshot. I'm going to make my daughter watch it next time she visits.
on December 6, 2016
I was "uncommonly" happy to find that this fabulous piece of theater was as good and as timely as it was in 1977.m and (after a sneak preview watching ) I gave the disc to a friend -- the absolute most uncommon woman I know ) and she called me to say how much she enjoyed it. And as expected it was cause for more conversation. Yeah Wendy -- your words ring true roday!!
on April 18, 2016
This is a forgotten gem of a film. Alma Cuervo's performance was masterful. Streep and Kurtz were also great, as expected.
on December 25, 2016
And to think the script was written as a master's thesis! The cast is an amazing collection of female talent. However, the picture of Meryl Streep on the cover is a bit deceiving, as she had a rather small part. But who knew that she would become the most famous/successful of the group?
on July 5, 2015
i love this movie, saw it years ago on the 11th hour, have it saved on vhs but needed it on dvd player we dont have a vhs player anymore,
on December 29, 2013
I saw this play when it originally aired on PBS and have always appreciated it. I do not find it a "distorted" view of that age and time, but very resonant. I recently bought the DVD. It's as I remember, except that in the original, the play disclosed that Leilah was having an affair with one of the fathers of the group, which explained her aloofness. Does anyone else remember this? Was it edited out?
on March 16, 2006
A play that takes you into the distorted world of a women's college, circa 1970, but still relevant to today in its main themes...Although the language has been somewhat cleaned up - the F word edited out, among others - it's a wonderfully fast excursion into the wit and mind of the beloved Wendy Wasserstein, and one not to be missed...Think of it as what Seinfeld would have looked like without men, and then add large doses of richly observed and well-acted scenes from a young and brilliant Meryl Streep, and a fresh Jill Eikenberry, and a fabulously lithe Swoosie Kurtz, nicely shot to give you its sense of being a play for the stage...H
10 people found this helpful
on March 7, 2009
I saw this when it first was broadcast on PBS channel 13 in NY back in 1978.I loved the story line & the great cast of characters,wonderful acting,all the cast members shone through this masterpiece of writing.I was surprised that it was actually on DVD,had it on VHS from a tape that I had made from a rebroadcast on PBS but had lost it.Thank you Wendy Wasserstein.
on December 15, 2014
Any work of Meryl Streep is amazing. Seeing her older work shows just how amazing she was, is and continues to be.
on February 23, 2015