Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 83 reviews
on March 30, 2013
My daughter and I wanted to see what this "wine thing" is all about, and I have to say this book was very helpful. The format is very conversational, meaning that topics just show up like you're talking to someone rather than being laid out like a text book. It covers a lot of information in the beginning that I didn't understand as helpful until I actually started tasting.

I'd recommend this for anyone who wants to understand the "hobby" of wine drinking.
on August 30, 2014
As a novice, I began my research with a goal of broadening my basic knowledge of wine. The title caught my attention. The book is divided into two parts. The first part the author set out to educate the reader on the complexity and origins, along with the different choices of wine. The second part, which to me was the most interesting and useful of the two parts, was the guidance offered, as a benefit for using on a social level. Mr. Kreider offers, " A simple French lesson " in his Introduction, which could be beneficial to many. I awarded Uncorked a three star rating for the reason that I feel the first part of the book could have been condensed. I feel that the knowledge I acquired was not as much as I expected for the price of this book. Much of what I read, I already had knowledge, even with considering myself to be on a novice level.
on June 21, 2014
this book was an easy read. it holds a lot of good information, its well written and a bit humorous. its also the first wine book i've read (granted that's only been a few so far) willing to say grocery store wine is mostly lousy. i'm 38 and thought i hated wine because i'd only had grocery store wine until a few months ago i wandered into a specialty wine shop and the owner convinced me to try it his way. he was right. now i'm really getting into it. i was glad to see a writer being honest about that.
on November 19, 2015
Modestly useful, would have preferred a slightly deeper discussion of select, important topics. The author has tried to cover a vast list of topics - thus everything rather high level.
on January 23, 2014
The chapters were short but chock full of useful information. Kreider's style was friendly, easy to read and humorous at times. Answers a lot of common questions and then some for those who wants to dig deeper into the world of wine. My wife and I went to Napa Valley a few years ago, we plan to go back after educating ourselves more and "Uncorked...." is the perfect book to start off with. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about wine but doesn't necessarily have a lot of time to spare.
on February 24, 2015
I began to take an interest in wine after seeing a documentary about Sommeliers, and the depth of wine making and tasting. It intrigued me. Since then, I've been tasting and appreciating wine in a whole new way. I started to realize what I didn't know about wine, which was just about everything. I figured I'd start with this book. It's a fantastic introduction. It has the right balance of informative technical info, as well as basic, every day info that any new wine taster needs to know. Now on to the next level!
on November 12, 2015
It was an interesting book with some insightful anecdotes. Some of it seems to repeat general knowledge about wine but the stories add some flavor. I did finish feeling like something was missing and that it didn't fulfill its promise to make me comfortable ordering wine in a nice restaurant and being confident it will turn out well. I will remember not to smell the cork if the waiter does so when delivering the bottle.
on November 22, 2016
Informative and simple. At some points almost a little too simple when portions of knowledge seem like snippets or 2 page chapters while their is inevitably more details that are spared. Perfect for any newcomer to wine and would fill the gaps in knowledge for a very reasonable price.
on November 16, 2015
Currently reading this book and I'm loving the ease of understanding Paul Kreider conveys. So much knowledge is gained in a matter of 60 pages with an easy drop and pick up whenever you want. Short chapters make it fun to read and by the end of the next chapter I'm craving a glass of wine. I highly suggest this book for novices and newbies to the wine game.
on June 7, 2016
Great for true beginners. However, don't stop there... keep on reading...some other books present different points of view and it is great to form your own opinion based on the difference sources you can put your hand on.