BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Under the Egg
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 18, 2014
The other reviewer gave so much info about the book so I'll be brief and just say that this is one of my newest favorite books and I cannot wait to recommend it to the students that I work with! I can see this one becoming a ' classic' along with 'From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. basil E. frankwiler'. If you know any 8-12 year olds this would be perfect for them...especially if they like mysteries :)
on April 15, 2014
I was considering getting this book for friends' children and wanted to read it first. Loved it! I had to re-read the first few pages a couple of times to make sure I understood, but after that, I was sucked into the book. Lovely book, lovely characters. Very different from what I remember reading when I was the age of the intended audience. The kids in this book are mature and street smart, not just book smart, and are the type of good people you would hope your own kids would be friends with. I had read a couple of reviews that suggested that there was too much dependence on adults to get to the end, but I didn't find that to be the case unless you live in a world like Peanuts where no adults ever seem to be present. More of a sign that the girls did as much as they possibly could on their own, knew who and where to go to for help, and did seek out help, just like any person, child or adult, would and should do. They also did their share of helping adults along the way. Fitzgerald's book is straight talk to her audience but also age appropriate. I think that kids will appreciate the way that several "grown up" topics are presented and not babied but addressed straightforward for what they are and were. Fitzgerald is saying to her audience, you are old enough to thoughtfully consider these issues and form your own judgments. Meanwhile, I managed to learn a lot about art history that I knew nothing about, and it was certainly worth the time I spent reading it to walk away with a great storyline, memorable and strong characters, and beautifully worded descriptions. A pleasure to read and I highly recommend. I am back to buy additional copies now for friends.
on February 20, 2015
3-1/2 STARS. Under the Egg is an enjoyable read. As a museum mystery, you could call it a stepchild of From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which technically is better written, better plotted and better paced. However, Under the Egg's heroine Theodora, due to her unprivileged life circumstances, is self-reliant, mature and more likeable than Mixed Up File’s heroine Claudia, who I felt was a bit of a priss. Theodora’s pluck and determination drive the story (for me) in spite of the aforementioned weaknesses. Kids will be entertained by the story and adults won’t feel the time spent reading it was wasted.
on June 11, 2015
So glad to have been recommended this book by my young cousin. I plan on ordering a class set to read with y 7th grade classes next school year. It's a good story with interesting characters, great connections to other areas (art, history, family relationships), and a satisfying ending. Especially good for reluctant readers, as it gets right into the action of the story and doesn't stall out at any point.
on May 1, 2014
Purchased this for 12 year old niece who will be taking an art history class this summer. I read it in one sitting and loved it. Extra benefit was the "back story" on WWII. Her great-grandfather was involved in the Liberation of France so the story became personal. Only down-side is the ease and safety that the girls have being alone in the city. I think this book may inspire talks regarding mental health among parents and kids. I am considering adding museum tickets to the gift.
on September 6, 2014
Excellent mystery for middle age students. The story moved along very quickly and yet a young person can keep track of the story. Wonderful history of WWII prisoners and the concentration camps and life that prisoners dealt with. Book cover says that this book is the author's middle school debut. Excellent writing, easy for the tween to understand and relate to. Looking for more from Laura Marx Fitzgerald (my guess from German heritage herself)
on August 10, 2014
As an adult, enjoyed this tame art history mystery-Appropriate for a middle grader(as opposed to the very adult The Goldfinch)-only issue that a friend had for her son was the discussion of Raphael's sex life/affair which honestly in my opinion had to be there as it was essential to the story.
on April 17, 2014
I thought this was a very good book, maybe better than "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler" and I've been waiting to say that for over 40 years! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because one of the mysteries was solved WAY too easily & unbelievably, which made it say "WHAT?!?! NO WAY!" but otherwise, it's a very good book. Great details, good mystery, I highly recommend it!
on June 8, 2015
I bought this book for my great granddaughter and I bought myself the book so I could see what it was like. I loved it! I appreciated the art connection, the look at big city life, and the story of an independent, quirky, and creative girl, making her way through a difficult situation.
on July 23, 2014
I LOVED Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald. The characters were interesting and smart. They enjoyed and shared NYC and it's diverse people. I highly recommend this book!