|Print List Price:||$16.00|
Save $5.01 (31%)
Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
Under the Net Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The one non-ancillary character is "Mrs. Tinck", the news store proprietor, who, benevolent soul that she is, comes across as an interesting person in her own right. The book effectively begins and ends in her shop. She is also the one who, gently, helps Jake to take himself less seriously. She accomplished this, in a scene at the end of the story, in a fashion that left me smiling as I closed the book.
While some of the plotting seems unnecessarily complicated, some of the dialogue far too (intentionally?) stilted, and there are too many coincidences, the overall effect of this book is dazzling. The best scenes: Jake and Finn stealing Mars; Jake following Anna into the Tuileries Gardens; and all the scenes with Mrs. Tinck more than offset the comparative clunkers with Lefty Todd and Hugo.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
i'm a fan of Murdoch as a novelist. her dark humor, her witty remarks and rich, elegant yet simple story-telling appeals to me. Read morePublished 3 months ago by NGT
This book is the worst book I have ever read. I wished I hadn't spent my money on it. Yuck.Published 3 months ago by Courtney
A marvelous first novel. Iris did know how to tell a story from the first shot.Published 3 months ago by J. Gillette
Iris Murdoch is such a wonderful writer but even the best ( and she is) can not knock it out of the ball park every time. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
Exquisite writing, though perhaps a somewhat dated play on philosophy. Some very good humor, however.Published 4 months ago by Antoinette S Peters
It is veryl literate and also very entertaining. At times the action has a stream of consciousness quality, going from one topic to another and completely forgetting the original... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Linda Witzel
A total bore. I expected so much, but received so little. What the heck was the point of this book? I suppose it was a farce, but an uninteresting one at that. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Theodore S. Sotinsky
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Psychological Thrillers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British & Irish
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > British & Irish
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Psychological
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Psychological