Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 7, 2016
Policy isn't always a class that graduate students look forward to, but it is the underpinning of all social work practice. It's best to understand how policies are developed and why - especially if you intend to advocate for policy reform. I'm a bit biased because I love policy and macro-level social work with all my bleeding heart, but this is a good book. Easy to understand without needing to constantly refer to a glossary.
on July 5, 2007
This is probably the best single text I have read on healthcare policy issues in the USA. The books addresses every relevant aspect of our system. Unlike other excellent books, such as Dr. Arnold Relman's book, A Second Opinion, which analyzes the system, then makes recommendations on how to reform it, the authors here mainly explicate. The format of the book includes brief, usually fictitious, vignettes about physicians, patients or administrators that illustrate the points the authors present. That format - combined with the simply-presented, clear narrative and analysis - works very well. I also find the references to be excellent. Aside from Dr. Relman's book, I recommend any of the books by Prof. Victor Fuchs, in particular Who Shall Live?, books by Prof. Theodore Marmor and the classic by Prof. Paul Starr, The Social Transformation of American Medicine. There are many other excellent books and articles by a wide range of insightful analysts. These kinds of books are invaluable for understanding the issues in healthcare. So much of the information that filters through to the average person via news reports, propaganda issued by parties with vested interests to protect and superficial proposals from polticians is inaccurate and misleading, usually grossly so. Reading a book such as this goes a very long way towards cutting through that clutter regardless of one's personal experiences and prejudices.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on January 17, 2014
I refer to it all of the time. Probably the best introduction to U.S. health policy there is. I have the 5th edition, but you should get the 6th edition as it has updates from the Affordable Care Act.
on January 4, 2012
I m new to the healthcare insurance industry and I was looking for a book which would explain the complexities of the health care system from the basics. I bought many books but this is the only book which was perfect!
It has great examples, visuals to explain every aspect of the healthcare system. Its a very simple read, and the chapters are really much shorter. The information has been organized very well as a result the readers information retention is much easier...:)

I love this book!...
on January 9, 2007
This book is a great basic review of how health care is delivered. The format and information is most useful for people who are going into medicine. There isn't really anything about the politics behind health care policy; instead the book focuses on defining key terms and outlining the structure of relationships between payers, receivers, and providers. The book also covers the differences between different types of insurance policies, as well as different national health plans of countries with more socialized medicine.
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on June 28, 2009
I teach healthcare policy and am currently using this text. It does a great job covering the important issues. It's quite readable, as a new edition very topical and, through the use of vignettes, humanizes the consequences of policy decisions. It also has questions keyed to each chapter for assignment use. It is not an academic text and I am supplementing with articles (many of which can be found in the excellent references section following the chapters) as well as articles from news sources. Recommend highly.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 5, 2013
I loved having the electronic version for class. It was easy to read and much less expensive than buying the print version.
on April 5, 2014
good and interisting, I use them very good.I will contnue to buy many many thing from amazon. For last a couple years, I had bounght a lot of stuff from there, I fill very convinince. Thank you very much.
on April 26, 2016
I like it. It is helpfull for my class.
on December 23, 2014
Had this as a rental for a Health class and this is a good book for my job. The book does not look used to me!