Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Understanding the Stars Paperback – January 1, 2017
Attention Science Fiction Fans
Man vs. machine, humans vs. aliens, paranormal activities – discover the best of science fiction with these collectible books. Learn More.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I didn't start hating the book because of what Alex did. It is just that I slowly came back to Earth. I understood the need for something to happen. I just wished well…shall I repeat myself? I just wished that Alex wouldn't have had that stupid idea. *Shakes head*
That said I believe this is a great book for all ages, from MG to Adults and everything in between. Quick, fun, and easy read.
I love the writing in this book. It is riveting. The sci-fi elements mesh magnificently with the real world setting. The plot is quick paced and draws you along. The author really has a way with words, and some phrases got stuck in my head so that I was thinking about them long after putting the book down. Though it's a sci-fi book, it's firmly based in real earth life, and addresses a lot of issues that are dealt with in life which caused me to pause and reflect on my own. I also love the development of the main relationship in this book, as it comes across so naturally. I love me some romance!
Overall, a great book and a lot of fun to read. Great cliffhanger - can't wait for the next one!
Her seemingly mundane life suddenly becomes extraordinary when she delivers a pizza to the home of a handsome stranger. The mysterious man is harboring an astounding, earth-shattering secret, and soon Alexandra is swept up in romance, intrigue, and terrifying other-wordly threats.
Here are some things I like and dislike about the novel:
- I love the book cover. It is stunning.
- The writing is generally good and fast-paced. I usually don’t read much Young Adult fiction, so some stretches seemed a little rushed and under-developed, but I think most teenagers will enjoy what Ms. Culetto has done here.
- I don’t like the name “Ronan” for one of the main characters. I know I’m being petty, but somehow the name strikes me as overused and tedious.
- SPOILERS AHEAD…STOP READING TO AVOID SPOILERS
- I think the author needed to more fully develop the scene in which Ronan reveals his secrets to Alexandra. During this scene, he doesn’t reveal one stunning secret; he reveals FOUR life-shattering, unbelievable, inconceivable things, and the protagonist seems nonchalant and barely moved.
- I thought the best part of the book was when Alex was in captivity and the Kema’dor explained things from their perspective. They were being deceitful, but I liked that element of unexpected twists.
- I was a little disappointed the adventure never left the confines of earth; I was expecting more of an intergalactic type of sci-fi.
Bottom line, this is a very promising debut and this tale of adventure, romance, science-fiction and love of family will hold solid appeal for its target audience (teenage girls). Well done!
I can hardly wait for the next book!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
As I read the book, at times I had the feeling that the action is much faster than would be expected.Read more
First words after finishing this book....WOW!!!!Read more