Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2010 12:41:39 PM PST
Leon Evelake says:
I bought this set and watched the 6 movies and at times thought things were missing. then during the Undiscovered Country i noticed a missing Scene where the attempted assassin is revealed to not be Klingon. dose any one know what was up with that? it is in my vhs version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 8:30:59 PM PST
Gerriet Bolt says:
The Blu-Ray edition is the original theatrical version, which has never been released on home video before. The "Scooby Doo" ending where the mask is pulled off to reveal Colonel West was not in the theatrical version presumably because that character's earlier scene was also cut. I'm referring to a scene where Colonel West (Rene Auberjonois) presents a foolhardy plan to rescue Kirk & McCoy to the Federation President. I think I prefer the original theatrical version because the latest DVD version also added visual cues when Valeris names the conspirators (i.e. when she says "Admiral Cartwright," an image of him flashes on the screen, as if the audience was too dumb to remember who that was). Plus the "Scooby Doo" ending is unnecessary because it was just as likely that a Klingon would be the assassin.

There are also minor changes in "Wrath of Khan," mostly slight dialogue changes at certain moments. If you've ever seen the TV version, I believe it features all of the extended bits. The last-released Special Edition DVD from 2002 also includes all extra sequences. Also, a new Director's Cut of "The Motion Picture" came out on DVD back in 2001 which included newly rendered CGI effects and extra scenes. This version is not in the Blu-Ray set allegedly because the CGI was not rendered in HD. Presumably Paramount is waiting to release these versions at a later date to make a few more bucks.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 9:28:51 AM PST
Leon Evelake says:
Ah thank you i was wondering about weather it was a directors cut difference but the vhs case didn't say anything thanks for explaining.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 9:45:10 PM PST
I prefer the dramatic pacing of the theatrical version of The Wrath of Khan. A good example is the scene where the scientists at Regula One are discussing what to do, after the wormed Chekov has contacted them with "Admiral Kirk's order" to transfer Project Genesis to Reliant is a good example.

In the theatrical version, that scene ends with one of the young scientists saying "But what about Reliant? She's on her way." In the director's cut the dramatic tension of that as a scene-closing line is totally dissipated by several additional seconds of blather about playing hide-and-seek with Reliant's crew: "That's for us to know and them to figure out."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 12:43:46 PM PST
Leon Evelake says:
Either way it would of been nice to get both, or at least have a deleted scene feature.

Posted on May 23, 2010 10:44:06 PM PDT
You'll notice in the Bluray edition of Undiscovered Country that there is a piece of glass in the assassin's neck and his blood is RED where "real" Klingons have Pepto Bismol.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2010
Latest post:  May 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions