Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,371 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,728 reviews
on December 25, 2016
This is a review of the Blu-ray quality of Unforgiven, not of the movie itself as there are plenty of movie review sources out there. This was a fantastic transfer of video and sound quality to the Blu-ray format. I had the DVD version, and this is so much better. Makes the movie look "new". Recommend upgrading if you have not done so already. (Some of the older movies don't have a great aspect ratio, which is why I point it out.)
on November 29, 2015
A dark tale of repentance, redemption, and ultimately damnation. Eastwood guides us into seemingly contradictory feelings, a sort of cognitive dissonance between sympathy and unease with the actions of the main character. On the one hand, we sympathize with Munny, the once great gunslinger who was now a dirt poor pig farmer who just wanted one more big job to secure a future for his two children. But at the same time, we realize that his motives cannot be so pure. He is knowingly betraying his wife's guidance to be a good man, and walking back on his own redemption and forgiveness. Forgiven by society, by his wife, even by himself (to a point), and ultimately by God, he tosses it away and becomes the vicious killer he once was, all the while trying to rationalize and deny it. As the story progresses, it becomes clear that Munny is not driven so much by noble motives; as Ned and the kid fall away after understanding they are not cold blooded killers and want nothing of this life, for Will it brings back his former glory... the old man wakes and the new is cast aside as he rejects redemption and accepts damnation in its stead. Outstanding movie, in every way.
on May 30, 2015
"Unforgiven" (which is not the only film with this title) is the culmination of almost every western film Clint Eastwood has ever done. The film is a sort of stopping point for Eastwood within the western genre. And, because of these factors, it is a masterpiece. Eastwood's character, William Money , is reformed of all his wickedness as a once notorious gunslinger. But, within his character, as with many of us, lies dormant the potential for our old nature to resurface. He actually plays two characters, and how they unfold is what makes for classic cinema entertainment.

Eastwood, who also directed, puts a good amount of subtleties in the film that address questions about how people behaved and spoke in the old west. In some cases it's done with an ever so light bit of humour, enough to make you think about life in the 1800s long after the movie is over. Easily capable of subsequent viewings. I could spend hours writing about the film, but my words couldn't fully encapsulate the sheer brilliance of the film. Watch it in all is glory whenever you can. "Don't worry kid, I ain't gonna kill you, your the only friend I got."
on December 1, 2014
Clint Eastwood made his fame a fortune through the highly entertaining "spagetti westerns" directed by the visionary Italian director, Sergio Leone. During those films Eastwood's western persona was created - that is the skilled gunfighter/killer, bent on revenge, guns down those ruthless killers, who are far worst than himself, and who committed a great injustice towards Eastwood's character, justifying his brutality. Those films were created in the early to mid 60's. The "Unforgiven" is the final bookend of that character created so many years earlier. Here, Eastwood, an aging killer in his early 60's, a pig farmer no less with two small children, has hung up his guns and given up his "wicked" ways for the love of his wife who had died from smallpox three years earlier. Enter a smart ass kid, full of himself, calling himself kid something or another and a real killer, illiciting Eastwood's help to kill two cowboys who had brutally cut up a whore because she laughed at the size of his male member. Needing money and not being able to shoot very well or even ride a horse, Eastwood secures the help of his old partner, Morgan Freeman, and the two join the kid for the killing. Standing In their way is a sadistic sheriff played brillaintly by Gene Hackman in one of his best roles. What transpires is both blood soaked and tender in a curious blend of conflicting emotions that explores the question, do we ever get beyond our past?
on October 4, 2015
I love this movie and have ever since I saw it on its original theatrical run. I was never a fan of the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns. I preferred westerns like <i>High Plains Drifter</i> (which is my all-time favorite, just ahead of <i>Unforgiven</i>) that do something more with the genre.

Much has been said about <i>Unforgiven</i> as a deconstruction of the western, but I think it's also an exploration of personal narratives and identity. Are we the stories we tell about ourselves? Are we the sum of our actions? Are we the expectations of others? Are we a little bit of all of the above, or something else entirely?

Watching this movie as a 44-year-old reveals questions and insights about myself and life that the 21-year-old who first fell in love with this movie could never have seen. That's my favorite kind of movie, the movie that changes as I change, that gets more profound as I grow more curious.
on October 23, 2015
I like the mish-mash of good guys and bad guys. The Morgan Freeman character is a real good bad guy. The Eastwood character is a sometimes good sometimes bad bad guy. Little Bill, great name, the Hackman character is an almost entirely, but not completely, bad good guy. And the nasty little myopic killer turns out to be a human being after all and vows to never kill anyone again. The cowboys were cowboys, what can you say? And the whores are the chorus and entirely good. All the women are good. Eastwood's late wife, clearly a saint, and the native american wife of Ned, the Freeman character, clearly long-suffering, patient and stalwart. And the children are all above average. Big Whiskey could be Lake Woebegone, but way rougher. I just realized that I forgot English Bob, a totally bad bad guy. So there goes my premise. Anyway, this movie is lots of fun.
on October 27, 2015
Only for the people who can put themselves into that time period and all the lawlessness of the times. But even in the hardest of times Love will find a way to change a man or bring out whatever it can. The emotions and alcohol are always a bad mix whatever the time period though so it is not hard to imagine how challenging it was to live back then in that part of the world. Standing up for friends regardless of the risks can be a daunting business but Mr Eastwood seems to know how to pull it off. I am an older person so I can relate to the times better than most but still it isn't easy to imagine that there were many who could do those kind of things and live to tell about it. So, in the belief that we are seeing the film from a viewer's position as opposed to actually living in the time period, I believe something of that nature could have actually happened.
on October 7, 2015
Gene Hackman is not the same villain as he was as Lex Luthor. In this film he's vicious as demonstrated by his beating of both Richard Harris and Clint Eastwood. The story takes William Munny( Clint Eastwood), a converted by his wife drunken gunslinger, from his pig farm somewhere south of Big Whiskey, Wyoming on a quest to kill two cowboys who cut a whore who is offering a large reward to have the men who did it killed. Munny is conflicted about returning to his killing days, but as he says he needs the money. Morgan Freeman goes along because of loyalty to Munny. The very dark and mostly dreary story continues until the final shootout at the end. One of the taglines that has become memorable is "Deserves got nothin' to do with it." If you like a savagely violent film with a once bad and again bad guy triumphant then this is the film for you.
on November 5, 2015
Not your typical Clint Eastwood western. You will find the usual cowboys, shooting, muddy streets and even a lively brothel just outside of town. In addition though what you will find is a sincere struggle with their sense identity in all the major characters. It is this struggle that drives the film. Even the desolate landscape speaks to the struggle. Directed by Clint Eastwood, it is in my opinion one of his best efforts. I think you will enjoy it.
on February 4, 2016
This is one of my all-time favorite films - well-deserving of the Oscars it won. The entire cast is exceptional and the dialogue is first rate. Even though this is a gritty story with a fair amount of violence, the character development and the back-stories add depth to the story line. And the camera work is exceptional. Clint Eastwood at his best.