Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Style: 50-Miles - GMR5098-2CKVP|Change

on September 11, 2015
I use these for my Kayak Expeditions in Lake Superior, through Pictured Rocks National Park and the Apostle Islands National Park. They are reliable and repeatedly tested as waterproof.
Their listed Ranges a not accurrate though, here is what I have personal found.

National Weather Range - Execellent
I camp some seriously remote areas around Lake Superior in the Great Lakes Region and have always been able to get the weather report on these units.

Walkie Talkie Range
Range in woodland areas is about 1mile or less, depending on foliage density and how hilly the terrain is. Find an open area and high ground.

Range on open water is about 3 miles or less.

Range on shorline waters (cliff edge not beach) 1-2 miles.

Range in car to another car on same freeway, 2 miles.

At 2 miles there is a bit of static which increase as the distance increases.

For me these units work great would paddle without them.
on March 20, 2014
50 mile Unit does float very nicely. Don't know why Amazon groups all units together. Used with kayaking with a group and many opted for the marine radios and these had twice the range of the ~160 each units they were using. Tried using it for communications for my motorcycle but the VOX picked up to much wind noise that would hold channel open so you couldn't answer. (used full faced helmets).It worked better when using the PTT. It claims that its a 50 mile but thats not real world but ideal... Did a real world test and could hear transmission around 6.5 miles but was mostly static. At 4.5 miles it came in crystal clear.. There are two drawbacks. First is that the battery gauge is not very accurate. It will go from full to dead very quickly. It will last awhile on a full charge just doesn't give much warning when it's dieing. Secondly it comes with a two unit charger so if you separate them you can't charge other unit till its returned. One person asked about using it as a safety radio. For a light radio it does have some range but like I mentioned earlier it's only 4.5 miles which is higher than RINOs(Garmin GPS/2 way radio Product) that I've used before for that purpose which had about a mile range. The only suggestion I would have is purchase a few extra batteries and to tape the terminals so that they one don't short out and so that you can see which one is still good if you've changed them out once already. We would use them to scout ahead on longer hikes to see if the next lean to was occupied or nicer while one stayed at the first available. For the price I'm very pleased.
on October 24, 2016
At this point I am extremely pleased with this product. I am very hard on the gear I use for hiking & rappelling in Hawaii. After using these this past weekend I couldn't be happier after an all day adventure. The battery power was superb. The belt clip came in handy. I had no issues with the device and was able to easily hear the other person.
on January 20, 2017
These worked great for the purpose we bought them for. We were traveling cross-country, but there is no way it's a 50 mile radius. We lost connection if we got out of sight of each other at approximately 1-2 mile . They work great for the property we live on. If he's out and back on the tractor and I am in the house we can communicate. But they are not for any long distance purposes .
on June 18, 2015
Now it is time to update after intensive use of unit during mountaineering trips. First of all - crisp sound and easy to hear, no background noise observed. Long battery life, fast recharge. We used it in mountains with no tree cover but with deep valleys and hills in front. Unit was good in distance of max 5,4 km. Maybe it would do also more than that but it was very maximum we separated from each other. Second trip to mountains were in environment covered with dense bushes and some trees. Separation between units in gorge was around 3,5 km. Sound was crystal clear. Yes and unit is really water/weather resistant and of good built quality. I am really very satisfied customer. Great product!
on April 7, 2015
I got for my job and these are very durable and the sound from earpieces are clear. I don't think the range on these is actually 50 miles but the range is very good. The strobe light has can be used as a flesh light in and emergency. I have not tried the su erasable part of these but it seams like they would be water prof. These are the best radios I have every bought.
on December 28, 2016
We used it on a cruise. Worked well.
on March 26, 2015
Great range, no battery life!
Got one use of about three hours out of these, and the batteries won't hold another charge. Save your money!
on March 2, 2017
great product. exactly what i wanted...
on February 11, 2017
They work but not good enough for the crane business , not clear n loud enough in my opinion