Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 11, 2015
I use these for my Kayak Expeditions in Lake Superior, through Pictured Rocks National Park and the Apostle Islands National Park. They are reliable and repeatedly tested as waterproof.
Their listed Ranges a not accurrate though, here is what I have personal found.

National Weather Range - Execellent
I camp some seriously remote areas around Lake Superior in the Great Lakes Region and have always been able to get the weather report on these units.

Walkie Talkie Range
Range in woodland areas is about 1mile or less, depending on foliage density and how hilly the terrain is. Find an open area and high ground.

Range on open water is about 3 miles or less.

Range on shorline waters (cliff edge not beach) 1-2 miles.

Range in car to another car on same freeway, 2 miles.

At 2 miles there is a bit of static which increase as the distance increases.

For me these units work great would paddle without them.
101 helpful votes
102 helpful votes
on November 12, 2017
I live in michigan and I hunt up in northern michigan where there are a lot of hills, and these will not even make it 3 miles (bird's eye view). My dad hunts about 1 miles away over a ridge a he is on the next ride top that over looks a swamp and we can even talk to each other.
on November 15, 2017
These radios are good for very close communication. They don't work out in the street a mile away between my crews.
on November 15, 2017
No range at all on this thing - returned... Far from 50 miles, only about 1 mile.
on January 4, 2014
Haven't used yet just received easy to set up and now charging. Looking forward to use them camping, kayaking, and for parking travel trailer. Nice workmanship, looks very smart.
2 helpful votes
on November 9, 2015
Hard to understand, even well within range. We upgraded our radios to the Motorola DTR550s and couldn't be happier.
on November 9, 2015
bueno
2 helpful votes
on September 22, 2016
Seems to work ok. Only used at home so far.
on January 23, 2017
All was as advertised.
on May 26, 2014
This was a good choice for our needs. Our business is 300 feet from our home, and these allow us to communicate regarding phone calls or other information without dropping what we are doing to personally go see one another.