Top positive review
14 people found this helpful
More Freedom of Choice Long Overdue
on May 16, 2015
The many past reviews of this book cover most of the main points. I, too, have found the book very convincingly written and argued, well worth serious consideration for those seeking optimal health and wellness. However, there are some points that lead me to hesitate in my own case. First, the book describes "total dental revision" (TDR), which is a fairly major, drastic intervention going far beyond merely replacing amalgam fillings with composite ones. What is the success rate of TDR? The book doesn't provide any statistics that I could find, but court information from Dr. Huggins' license revocation indicates a success rate of 85%. Is that fully disclosed to TDR patients? And what happens in the other 15% of cases? The book doesn't say, except to emphasize that the "dental revision" needs to be "total" in order to have any chance (though still not necessarily 100%) of producing significant positive long-term health benefits. For those who are already seriously ill, 85% may be a very attractive opportunity, and I completely concur that such treatment decisions ultimately should remain with the patients, with access to all the essential information they need to be fully informed ("informed consent"). I also agree that the current licensing system goes too far in penalizing innovators in medicine and dentistry, and that individual patients *can* make their own decisions about their own level of treatment as long as they have the necessary information -- especially if mainstream doctors are permitted to discuss alternative treatment possibilities freely with their patients without fear of losing their licenses to practice.
The book also fails to mention (as far as I noticed) what should be done to fill the gap between teeth when a tooth is extracted, other than making sure the extraction site is thoroughly cleaned out to prevent "cavitations" where anaerobic bacteria can hide and produce extremely harmful toxins. I noticed another Amazon review by a dentist explaining that implants are the only way to prevent bone loss and eventual loss of additional teeth. Yet Dr. Huggins strongly opposes implants and advocates removing them as part of a TDR. Furthermore, a mainstream oral surgeon told me once that implants don't have very good life expectancy; he said five years is considered a "good outcome" for implants. He also said there is no problem in not having an implant in place of the farthest back molar after the molar is extracted. A mainstream dentist also told me that 5 years is the best minimum life expectancy for crowns, too, although my own crowns have lasted far longer. Fortunately, I've always insisted on gold for my crowns (for durability), which apparently is far less toxic than nickel-ceramic crowns, according to Dr. Huggins (because of the nickel content, even in "stainless steel" form).
For additional perspective on Dr. Huggins, there is a very informative article about him on Wikipedia, titled "Hal Huggins." The article seems to present a balanced and objective picture of his views, criticisms, successes and failures, with many references, including links to the court documents relating to Dr. Huggins' 1996 license revocation in Colorado.
I came to this book myself primarily out of curiosity about the professional association between Dr. Huggins and Dr. Thomas E. Levy, since I have long been highly interested in Dr. Levy's views regarding high-dose vitamin C and its use (in IV form) in Dr. Huggins' TDR procedures. The book provides excellent additional background on how Dr. Levy met Dr. Huggins and how Dr. Levy's own health improved greatly after a TDR by Dr. Huggins.