- File Size: 193 KB
- Print Length: 17 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Richard E. McDorman (February 16, 2009)
- Publication Date: February 16, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B001T9O764
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,085,098 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Universal Iconography in Writing Systems: Evidence and Explanation in the Easter Island and Indus Valley Scripts Kindle Edition
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Instead, he proposes a universal icon set which all people tend to draw on when they begin to write. These icons are essentially pictures of things, also including basic geometric shapes. Superficially, then, all early scripts will have certain similarities. However, the meanings assigned to, say, a circle or an apparent asterisk, or three triangles, will differ from one society to another. This difference will be especially large where people are trying to communicate abstract ideas, as opposed to notions such as, say, "sheep," or "eye" or "man."
If I had any complaints, it would have to do with the Kindle's ability to reproduce the hieroglyphs. I think there were some inaccuracies in the table, for example, but these may all have been due to the Kindle being unable to faithfully reproduce little details of Old Seal Chinese, pre-cuneiform Sumerian, and so on. It's kind of hard to tell. Fascinating reading.
To say there is no connection between the Indus Valley and Easter Island means you haven't looked hard enough. If you look into these facts you will find the truth.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > History > Ancient Civilizations
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Books > Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Alphabet
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 30 minutes (12-21 pages) > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Ancient Civilizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Alphabet