YED Best kids' books of February Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Oscar Central in Movies & TV Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on August 10, 2013
What happens to children that for whatever reason, cannot be raised by either of their parents? They go into a maze of halfway homes, orphanages, and foster homes. This film details the life of a girl whose mother deserted the family and whose father loses custody of her. She ends up in a house full of other castaway children. And in doing so is exposed to drugs, sex, and lots of unsavory characters. Molly Windsor carries this film. She plays a quiet bright "good girl" who just wants to be with parents but who just keeps falling back into the system because neither of her parents can really love her. I think Molly was picked for the part because she is so lovable and it is hard for us to understand how her parents could not put her life ahead of their own desires. The pain in her face is unbearable to look at and sometimes you just cry. This is not a happy film but it is one that needed to be made. This happens to a LOT of kids. And in all cases, it is heartbreaking.
on September 9, 2014
I love this movie! I'm not going to lie it is one of the slowest movies you'll ever see but unlike most people I not only look for action, suspense, thriller or gore I look for a story as well and as boring as a movie can be if there's a great story it'll keep me watching and this is one of the saddest heart wrenching true stories ever.
on November 18, 2015
I've loved this film for a long time. Watched again last night with my daughter. I wanted to her to see it not to make her feel bad, but to make her aware that sometimes that classmate in school who keeps to themselves, has no friends, maybe even purposely gets into trouble is probably navigating difficult circumstances at home. I want my kids to stop and think that perhaps there is a very good reason for their behavior and\or isolation. Before we watched it I warned her it was going to be very sad, but made a point to explain that the film was about the woman who made it and she is now a successful director. In many ways it's may be too heavy for kids and I was conflicted about her watching it. We did fast forward through the beating and the rape. It was worth it though. She really liked it and I do think it affected her in a way that she may now stop and think and talk to that "strange" or "quiet" kid. To extend a branch of friendship even if most of her classmates do not.

One thing I find a little funny. There are reviews that declare this movie is slow and boring. Well, my 9 year old happily sat through it and enjoyed it very much. I wasn't sure she would and would not have made her continue watching if she didn't want to. On the other hand if a 9 year old can sit through a slower paced art film that says a lot about adults who can't. If you watch every film with the expectation you are going to be "entertained" and get frustrated when you're not, there are going to be a lot of incredibly good films you'll miss out on.
on May 20, 2015
Molly Windsor is superb. Don't know her real age at the time this film was made but if she was 11 years old as she states I hope to see more of her work. Her actions through out the film were out of the norm for normal every day children and shows just how I would think children in that type of setting might act.
on March 30, 2014
I am a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) in Indiana that help children in the court systems. This movie gives a good perspective on what can and does happen to our children when put into the foster care system.
on August 21, 2014
Very good movie and very sad about how young girl is left to stay in house for orphans, because her mom doesn't want to deal with rising a child.
on August 9, 2016
I didn't like the context for obvious reasons but it was a very realistic portrayal of how difficult child abuse is to deal with.
on June 1, 2015
Good movie, but the ending is kind of weird. Strong Irish accents makes it difficult to understand sometimes.
on February 11, 2017
Beautiful picture quality but the plot is lacking.
on June 28, 2016
Good movie but plot was very sad and made me cry