Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 819 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,117 reviews
on September 7, 2017
I get a new version every year and honestly, I don't really need the guide. We go a couple of times a year and know the parks inside and out. BUT I love the content, updates and opinions. It gets us excited for our trip each year. We use the crowd calendar during our planning stage as you have to decide months in advance which parks you are going to visit so you can book Fast Passes and Dining. Knowing which parks are going to be the least crowded each day is what is our determining factor. We them use the Lines app in the park and of course the touring plans.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
You must get this book if you are planning a visit to Disney World. I have used The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World for each visit over many years, and I have never waited in line for any attraction longer than a half hour even during peak weeks. Follow their touring plans and your vacation will be made of memories of your favorite rides and shows, not how many hours you waited in line. The book is funny and informative and worth the time to read it cover to cover. They didn't pay me to write this, but I did write a review of Mission Space that they published (I'm the Woman from Lisbon, CT). Bob Sehlinger, I'm ready to be your senior on the ground at Disney if you need me!
on February 9, 2015
excellent source of info for anyone venturing to Orlando and its parks; had a previous issue but this is updated; has real reviews and comments from both the authors and mom & pop people that have been there, stayed in the hotels, gone to the parks and also used info from the book; living in FL and going to Orlando a few times a year, we wouldn't use any other source of information; they rate hotels (including Disney's) on things like quietness, suitability for families/singles/couples, restaurant food/quality, times for transportation to get to the parks vs. the visitor driving themselves, etc. cannot recommend enough.
on December 11, 2013
This was my 5th trip to Disney & using this book as a resource. We love this book. I have shared these guides & recommended it to many people as a great starting point to planning a Disney vacation. The vast amount of information can seem overwhelming, I recommend reading just the chapters you need, as you need them to plan your vacation. There are so many, facets to planning a fun, busy Disney vacation & this book really addresses them all.

The reviews & information about the attractions are very helpful & informative. Although Walt Disney World is for children, there are attractions & rides that are not for the very young even if they meet the height requirements. This book helps explain the scare factor & appeal to a broad range of ages. Through the years I have used this guide to steer my children on the right attractions at the right ages so now they will ride everything & anything with little or no fear/apprehension. It always saddens me to hear & see kids at Disney who were put on a ride because it was "Disney" only to be freaked out & scream & cry the whole time. For attraction information, I highly recommend this book

The recommended touring plans are invaluable! We have truly spent very little time in line & have enjoyed so many attractions at Disney because we had a TOURING plan. I always enjoy reading the book because it is written in a humorous manner.

I used the website & downloaded the corresponding app. With this guide you can access "member-only"aspects to the website & app. They are was worth the price of the book! The app was fabulous! It really helped us adjust our touring plan on the fly.

I will be using this book as a beginning point to plan our Universal Studios vacation for Fall 2014 & updating my subscription to the app too.
on November 25, 2016
Cuts your wait times by 45 minutes to an hour. Fun to plan your trip and read the hilarious descriptions of rides and the crazy people who do crazy things to ride them.
on December 1, 2013
Excellent reference guide. I have not gone to Disney yet (bought the book to plan the trip well in advance), but I've already changed many things and adjusted expectations based on the guide's content.

While not meant to be read from cover to cover, it is indeed very readable. The readers' comments provide complementary and honest point of views, and I think the authors do a good job balancing different voices when choosing readers' comments to include.

Another bright point, in my opinion, is effectively catering to a wide audience in terms of the financial and cultural spectrum. I am more of a cheapskate, and see Disney as a place where you can easily burn money but which nonetheless seems like an interesting experience to our family, focusing on what has made Disney famous. In this respect, I feel I'll get plenty of value from the guide, with effective money-savings plans and good touring plans to cover the basics. But there's also a lot of content there that seems to fit people both higher and lower than me on the financial scale and the breadth of interests and activities they'd may want to cram on their Disney trip.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to make it more uniform throughout in terms of details and readability. I am clear that his behemoth has evolved over many years of updates, but all the same some sections are too long and detailed on stuff that's ancillary at best; this guide has the best primer in popping feet blisters I've ever seen anywhere, period! Conversely, some attractions are described in slightly less detail than I'd prefer.

In short, you could do much worse than plunge ten bucks into a guide that will SURELY help you make the most of your multi-thousand-dollar, triathlon-energy-demanding Disney trip!
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
I used UNOFFICIAL books before and did not maximize the potential of the information. This time I'm spending $3000 on a WDW vacation, so I thought a $20 book would be a cheap investment.

wow! the book is PACKED with so much information that you might get bogged down in it, but keep pushing through and focus n the parts that only apply to your plan, (ie; I did not read the chapter on cruise lines as we are not vacationing on them).

If you haven't been to a theme park lately, you'll see how Disney tries to prevent you from spending your money elsewhere in FL, (ie; outside the world as they describe it). This book will show you how to get the best value for your money in terms of reservations, dining and time spent at the park(s). The authors do explain how many of their evaluations are conducted AND the type of consultants they hire, (statiticians, child psychologists, etc).

why purchase a year in advance?? you'll see that WDW character dining and restaurant reservations fill up 6 months ahead of time. If you are not a saavy copmuter user, (my 70 year old parents) you'll still have fun at WDW, but you'll be denied access to these things because you did not make a plan, this book will help you.
on May 24, 2015
I think this book is a must have. Just one or two tips will make it worth the price. Its in-depth review of the Disney hotels enabled me to get the best room location at the Caribbean Beach Resort (for me, away from the food court, near a shuttle stop, and facing a courtyard.). The advice on where to watch the Fireworks at MK enabled us to get a great view and 'escape' quickly, beating the mass of people leaving afterwards and enabled us to be on the first shuttle back to the hotel--that alone was priceless! Countless other tips and info let us plan which attractions we wanted to see, where to eat, when to go, etc.. Try to get this book well before your vacation since it is worth reading thoroughly. BTW, it has a lot of humor in it that makes it easy and enjoyable to read.
I'd also recommend purchasing getting the Touring Plans App and creating your own custom plan for each park visit. It updates your plan while you're at the park based on the crowds/lines. Not sure how it works, but we never waited more than 10 mins. in line, and we saw some big lines. It will seem like quite a headache pouring over all the info., but it will make your vacation a lot smoother and less stressful.
on December 16, 2014
I am a newbie when it comes to Disney. I am taking my son and his family (two granddaughters) for the first time. I found this book very helpful in giving me an overview of what I need to know to be well prepared. Just today I went online at 6:00 AM to make restaurant reservations. You can begin to make reservations 180 days before the first day of your trip. Sehlinger gives tips on how to get reservations at some of the more popular restaurants that tend to fill up immediately. Following his suggestions, I got reservations at every restaurant I wanted at the times I wanted. I know from others this isn't always the case! The book chapters make it easy to find what you need, and while I am sure even those who have been to Disney World before will find helpful information, it was invaluable to me as a "first timer."
There are chapters on each of the four major parks at Disney World, plus information on Disney cruises and the water parks.
I also think the final chapters, which contain suggested touring plans for each of the park (what to do if you have only one or two days per park) will be very helpful when we start looking at what attractions, parades, and events to attend. I also recommend the purchase of the inexpensive touringplans.com which Sehlinger recommends... a great online resource if you want more detailed touring suggestions for each park.
By the way, I have the Kindle edition of this book. While Kindle editions are great for reading novels, I think there is an advantage to having a print copy of a book like this, which is more a "reference work" than a cover to cover read.
on June 26, 2015
My wife is poring over this thing every spare minute she can get in preps for our big, first-time Orlando trip 3 mo from now. The guide's being "unofficial" makes it highly VALUABLE becuase it is unscathed from Disney or Universal corporate marketing and censorship--so you get the low-down truth. The scenario-specific, algorithmically determined itineraries at the back alone are worth the price of this book. For all the money to be spent at Orlando theme parks, it makes sense to invest the time and effort into preparing to get the most for your money so you can relax and not worry about finding the best deals or whether you're wasting money while you're there. The info in this book streamlines that process.