Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy (Unofficial Cookbook) Hardcover – December 1, 2011
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Featured Recipe: Katniss's Favorite Lamb Stew with Dried Plums
"Katniss's favorite food from the Capitol is the delicious lamb stew with dried plums. It's no coincidence that this is her favorite dish. Soups and stews are common foods in the Seam, and this healthy and filling dish likely reminded her of the home and family she desperately missed." (The Hunger Games, Chapter 9)
Yield 8-10 servings
- 5 pounds lamb fillet, shoulder or leg, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1½ cups diced celery
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 5 cups dried plums
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup ginger ale
- Place lamb, salt, pepper, and flour in a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat meat evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and brown the meat, working in batches if you have to.
- Remove lamb to a side plate. Pour off fat, leaving ¼ cup in the pan. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onion becomes golden. Deglaze frying pan with the ½ cup water, taking care to scrape the bottom of the pan to stir up all of the tasty bits of meat and onion. Cook to reduce liquid slightly, then remove from heat.
- Place the lamb and garlic-onion mixture in a large stockpot. Add beef stock and sugar, stirring until sugars are dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add the vegetables, dried plums, herbs, and ginger ale to the pot. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until meat and vegetables pierce easily with a fork.
"Hungry for the dishes served up in Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy? The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" -- More Than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy is ready to rock fans' kitchens." --USA Today
"The Hunger Games movie is just a few months away, and really, who isn't secretly super-excited for the teen post-apocalyptic book trilogy to make it to the big screen? Watching the trailer on repeat is pretty fun. . . but now comes an even better way to sate your appetite--literally--until the film comes out. The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook!" --Village Voice
"In the postapocalyptic fantasy series The Hunger Games, starving characters eat whatever they can kill or forage: wild dog, horse, tree bark, mouse meat....fans have become obsessed with the food in the books, trying home preparation of dishes such as fire-roasted rabbit and seaweed bread. This month, The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook was published, with 150 recipes for rustic, gamy fare including fried squirrel and raccoon in bacon drippings, though none for dog. Food, and the lack of it, is a recurring theme in the dystopian trilogy." --The Wall Street Journal
"Most of the recipes are definitely ones that my whole family will enjoy and the kids will love knowing about the connection to The Hunger Games. If you or your children are fans of The Hunger Games, you definitely need to pick up a copy of The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook." --Confessions of an Overworked Mom Blog
"I give it a 'buy.' If you are into cooking game, and like a diverse cookbook that allowed you to easily substitute ingredients, then this is for you." --Bossy Italian Wife Blog
"Forget Katniss' hunting bow--you won't go hungry like the folks at District 12 if you've got this cookbook handy! Consider it a gastronomic tour of the futuristic dystopian saga, taking you from the humble tables of Katniss' forlorn home district to the lavish banquets of the Capitol." - E! Online
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
the recipes are pretty straight forward, simplified a lil here and there, making ingredients more easily attainable. its def a fun, kind of cheeky twist on a movie tie in
also a nice little touch is the commentary from the "sponsor" about several of the recipes :)
I recommend this purchase for a future Hunger Games themed dinner party/movie nite!