Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,375 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,566 reviews
on March 20, 2013
This album is just brilliant! I have not played anything else but this album for the last month because im so addicted to it & love it that much!

Bruno Mars is one of the few generally talented artists of the modern era in my opinion. (music nowadays is autotuned and just someone singing over a dance beat most of the time). With Bruno, comes a whole other story. He has so many different styles and genres on this album, which is one of the things i love about the album. Theres a bit of pop, 50s style, 60s, 80s, reggae...very broad...AND HE CAN ACTUALLY SING, write, produce, play the instruments..VERY TALENTED! :)

I also love that he has used the "old" way of recording which is recoding his tracks with live instruments etc and not with computers. this just makes the album sound fresh and that more real.

The only bad thing i would say of this album is it is only 35 minutes long. I need more Bruno! Enter "Unorthodox Jukebox Target Deluxe Edition" This edition (exclusive to Target) has 5 bonus tracks:
1 new song, 2 demos (of Gorilla & Young Girls. basically acousticy as this is Bruno and a guitar. Alot of things are stripped away in the demo versions), 2 remixes. These bonus tracks really give you an insight to the process Bruno went through making this album and just makes it that much better!

Most modern music is what i say "for the moment" meaning that they are good for that first couple years they are out and then they just fade away. However unlike most modern music and like the classics that are from the early 90s/ 80s and before, this album is timeless. I know ill be listening to this album is years to come. Bruno really has got me "Locked out of Heaven" with this!

All i can say is GO GET THE ALBUM!! You will NOT be disappointed!!
on August 12, 2013
This past Friday (8-9-13) I went to the Moonshine tour stop in KC and I was AMAZED!!! I have always liked Bruno but not to buy any albums and I only went to the concert to hear "When I was your man" live.. I left wanting to hear every song this man has ever sung :) I had to buy both albums because now I'm in love.. He can sing his a$$ off and I was overly impressed. His band is awsome as well and hella funny!! Most artist come to KC and only give us half a show and half sing but not Bruno I felt like I was in NY or Vegas ..I mean if you have the chance to see him and his band live DONT MISS IT!! He can never step foot in KC again without me having a front row seat!!! I am still pumped and its been 3 days that should tell u something..Never been to a concert with an encore let alone 2 of them!!!! Yes Bruno you got me I'm a fan fa life **muah**
on April 8, 2017
I love this album! I had to return two turntables. One skipped when playing albums and the other had no sound. The third works well and I love listening to this album from an artist that I've recently begun to really enjoy.
on April 12, 2017
Love every song on this CD. It's Bruno Mars - that's really all I want to say about that. Excellent!!! I highly recommend this. Has some of his big hits.
on May 14, 2013
Great music by such an excellent artist! It's very rare nowadays when you can get a complete album with hits, but Bruno Mars and the Hooligans have done it again! My favorite song by far on this is #7 Natalie, even though I love all the songs. I find myself replaying it all the time! I listen to this at home and especially when I'm out running errands.

Awesome awesome album and I can't wait for his 3rd one to see how he can top yet another smash from Doo Wops and Hooligans to Unorthodox Jukebox to the next.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ALBUM TO THOSE WHO LOVE GREAT MUSIC AND ARE MISSING IT!!!!
on May 8, 2017
Can anyone beat Bruno Mars? This was a good cd but I like the 24 carat gold better. I have purchased 4 of those and sent them to friends and nieces. Go Bruno!
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2013
I was really hard on Bruno Mars when he released his debut album `Doo-Wops & Hooligans'. Ok, I wasn't harsh as much as realistic. It was catchy yet lazy and really showed a lack of depth in a rising star I wanted to see a more complete thought from. It was redundant and uninspired and too nonchalant for its own good. I still gave it a C, and I still love a few of the tracks on the album (who can deny `Just the Way You Are', and obviously `Marry Me' is still catchy and lovely as all get out) but there is no hiding my disappointment with the effort overall.

`Unorthodox Jukebox' is a different animal.

This is NOT a perfect album, and yet I really think that this better identifies who Bruno Mars is and presents a more complete approach to his breed of nostalgic pseudo-pop. Some claim that Mars genre hops all over this album and yet I don't see that. Mars is very focused on the type of music he is producing here, and it shows in a very consistent and overall very impactful album. From the first single sampling The Police, Bruno Mars salivates all over 80's rock-pop in a way that feels fresh, funky and completely reflective. Mars still suffers from some lazy lyric development, but his silky smooth vocals and his direct approach make this a very enjoyable album from start to finish.

Outside of the ill-advised `Show Me' (why to all `island' songs carry the same repetitive and uninspired musicality?), this album showcases nostalgic pop done with a modern twist very well. `Locked Out Of Heaven' is so juicy and delicious to the ears, and `Treasure' explores the highlights of Motown with pitch perfect charisma. `Natalie' pulls darker strings until that chorus line bursts in and just explodes all over the place. `Moonshine' feels very `Phil Collins' to me, which is something I really like. `Money Make Her Smile' and `Young Girls' seem a little uninspired lyrically, but the musical prowess of the tracks make them pop in all the right places. `Young Girls' sooths on the eardrums and `Money Make Her Smile' uses vocal distortion in the right way. `Gorilla' is exactly how you do an edgy love song (or `make love' song), complete with rock ballad influence igniting the chorus, and the closing track, `If I Knew' is fluid and just plain beautiful to listen to (his voice is perfectly suited for ballads). The throwback vibe here (I mean, Frankie Valli would have drooled all over this song) is such a classic way to end this album. It is far better than `When I Was Your Man', which feels somewhat generic in tone despite having some beautiful vocals.

So, this is a major step up from his debut. I don't like `Show Me' at all, but that is really the only sour note (even `When I Was Your Man' is a good song despite being unoriginal). The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to give Bruno Mars top honors for this collection of inspired and impressive tracks.
on January 29, 2014
I am giving this 4 stars because I like the catchy tunes, but some of the lyrics leave me feeling a bit guarded. I never paid much attention to Bruno Mars before. Of course I heard "Just the Way You Are" a gazillion times on commercials, radio, etc., but I was not a fan of his. Then I heard "Treasure"; I really liked the 70ish disco vibe to it, and it was a blast to dance to. So, I listened to "Locked Out of Heaven" and decided I would buy it. I bought the explicit version, because I have a tendency to believe the explicit versions are more true to who that person really is, and I found this album to be hyper-sexualized. I attribute that to his age-- he's still in his twenties, and I give him the benefit of the doubt.
I like it mostly because it is fun to dance too, and also, his range of styles, everything from rock to do-wop is on this album, and I appreciate the scope of it. Considering this is his second album, I presume each album will be a little more introspective and more meaningful, but for now, Unorthodox Jukebox is fun to dance to.
on March 14, 2013
This Album is awesome!!! When I listen to it I hear a soulful voice influenced by the sounds of Michael Jackson, Earth, Wind, & Fire...Journey, Sting etc.. If you LOVE music of the past, you will fall in love with Bruno and this album. Although some of the lyrics are a little explicit,(very few by the way... the song"Gorilla" to be exact) you can always skip it if you have little ears listening in on your tunes. My grand daughter loves his music too and I just do my voice over to muffle out the lyrics. No big deal. There's more profanity on prime time television!!! The flavor of his song writing is unique, fun and nostalgic and I became an instant fan after hearing his first album...well, actually I remember him doing his Michael Jackson routine as a kid and it blew me away even then...I can listen to Bruno all day!!!. His talent and artistic traits has made him a true entertainer!( Loved him on SNL too) Bruddah can act!!! ;-)..... many of us here in Hawaii are hardcore fans and very proud of him, his success and well deserved rise to stardom!!!!...You won't regret buying this!!! Enjoy!!! :-)
on November 23, 2013
It is clear by now that Bruno Mars is here to stay as the go-to guy for catchy top 50 Billboard smash hits. But on this album, he flexes his songwriting muscle as he puts together a solid album that shows off his diversity as an artist. Songs like "Locked Out Of Heaven" and "Treasure" are the usual Bruno Mars easily digestible pop music (There's a reason these were the first two singles), and while these songs are fine, this album truly shines when Bruno takes a whimsical departure and makes a song that is legitimately funny. Songs like "Nathalie" and "Money Make Her Smile" are going to put a quick smile on your face. "Gorilla" is probably the albums most interesting track, although it has a very sexy tone, the lyrics make it very funny as well. If you enjoy the songs I've mentioned here then you owe it to yourself to take a journey through Bruno Mars latest album.