Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 72 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on February 14, 2014
I went to Army helicopter flight school with Miles Henderson and considered him a friend. It was emotionally hard for me to read the book but I couldn’t put it down. I found Artis Henderson's style of writing very easy to read, like she is sitting on the couch telling the story. Not simple, just easy. From an Army aviator’s perspective it all made sense to me, technically speaking. I mean she didn’t get any technical issues wrong which is a common pet peeve for military folks. Most importantly I thought the book really honored Miles and the love they shared. For me personally it answered so many questions I have had all these years. A+
on February 22, 2015
This is a story written by a young wife who lost her husband in a war-time helicopter crash in Iraq. The story is tragic and could have been oh- so sad. Only after I finished the book did I realize that this writer didn't dwell on her pain. Rather, she objectively described her lost love and the many questions surrounding his death. I recognized the close-knit relationships that develop among military families. I remembered being one of the wives waiting for a husband to return from Vietnam and the sincere love and devotion all wives felt for one another as they all waited and prayed for their partners' safe return. That's the story here. How a group of strangers become like family and support one another through fear, pain, and loss.
on May 16, 2015
Artis Henderson’s Unremarried Widow was a required reading for one of my courses. At first I thought it was going to be a novel that did not pique my interest but I was so wrong. Henderson’s novel took me through a journey through her dark experience. Losing her husband and then the events that followed changed her as a person and she exposed herself to the world completely; give details to everything that went on. I was reluctant to read a book where I knew a greater part of the novel would be about grief. But that initial reluctance quickly dissipated when I began reading this memoir; one written with unbridled honesty and depth. It isn't a watered down portrayal of the life of a military wife. It was written beautifully from start to finish and the story of the meeting of these two is touching. However it is no fairy tale. She talks about her doubts and her life and the seriousness of choices they both make that alter them both forever. It is one of those books that you do not want to put down once you start reading it. It is a definite tear jerker but at the same time you will feel the other myriad of emotions that Henderson experiences being an army wife.
on May 3, 2015
This book is one of the most powerful I’ve read in a long time. It was required reading for a class and I am so grateful it was assigned- I really enjoyed reading it and couldn’t put it down. Henderson’s writing style is clear and candid, and she tells her story in such a way that makes connecting with her character very easy. Instantly upon opening the book the reader is introduced to a very real person, not because the book is a memoir but because Henderson puts it all out there, shamelessly inviting the reader into herself to understand her. That's a terrifying thing to do on a personal basis, so to do that for an entire audience of readers and invite them to make their own judgments is inspiring. It also ensures that the book hits home for each reader- I know I for one found myself crying every ten pages or so once I got halfway through the book. Henderson so poignantly discusses the grieving process and makes it so that even if one has not experienced exactly what she has they will understand how she feels beyond a shadow of a doubt. I feel as though I have grown as a person after reading, and in my humble opinion that is every book's ultimate goal- to elicit such a response from the reader that they are forced to grow and evolve. I absolutely adore this book and will recommend it the next time somebody asks me "What should I read?"
on June 18, 2016
I'm a little biased maybe. I was in Wolfpack as a soldier during some of the events she describes and a wife of a soldier for others. I can remember when it happened. To hear things from her view is amazing. Artis is a very gifted writer! I can't imagine the courage it took for her to write about this. Someone else who reviewed it mentioned how she 'seemed to be writing about someone else'. I would say that it adds to the feeling you take away while you are reading. You seriously get a taste of how she is feeling. Anyone who has lost someone close should be able to connect to that.. You can say what you did during those times but you feel almost distanced because of how much it hurt. I hope that Artis continues to write!
on March 10, 2014
I gave this book five stars for the reading experience. The story was compelling and took me on an emotional journey with the author. It also made me think about the sacrifices made by military families, something I had never fully understood before reading this. There are one or two places where I would have liked more detail or would have changed the way something was presented but I still rated five stars because these areas didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the book. For example, I understand why the current events of the time were included at the beginning of chapters but some of these felt forced. In another instance the author describes a romantic encounter she had after her husband's death wherein the man confesses that he has long been interested in her but she never tells us what happened with this romance. I found it easy to forgive the author on these items as I was reading because it seems like writing a memoir is a really tricky process of balancing your desire to tell the whole story with your need to preserve the privacy of other parties and keep some details for yourself. Ms. Henderson is so candid throughout this book and courageous in the telling of her story that it's easy to look past these areas. The other thing that balanced out portions that weren't my favorite was the beauty and clarity with which some of her thoughts were presented. There were multiple instances where I had to pause to process something she said that I never would have arrived at on my own. For example, there is one portion where she is describing her experience attending a grief conference for military families. When she picks up her materials that contain a photo of her deceased husband she says that it occurred to her that she would one day be an old woman carrying around a photo of the boy she loves. This statement alone really captured for me what it must be like to be a young widow having to face the prospect of a long life ahead knowing that she will always carry a torch for her husband, who will be eternally preserved in memory as a boy of 24. I would purchase the book again and have recommended it to multiple people.
on July 7, 2014
Frist let me say, I highly recommend this book. I got this book when it first came out and read it cover to cover. So why didn't I post a review until now? I had to gather my thoughts and that took longer than I thought it would.

I needed to read this book because I had met Artis Henderson twice. You see, I'm Teresa Priestner's godmother which puts me closer to the story than the average reader. I had a lot of background from the events on the Priestner side and I wanted to hear Artis's story. It was heartbreaking to read and I admire her courage not only to go on but to write about it.

I wish I'd have purchased a copy instead of reading it on my Kindle. I found the beginning confusing and I know if I could have flipped the pages back and forth, the story would have been less so. However, once I got into the story, I could not put the Kindle down until I finished. Sure I new the ending, but only from one side. This is Artis's story but in some ways it is the story of both women who have sacrificed and lost so much in this war. I related to a lot of the author's feelings about the war and how it effects the families, relatives and friends of those who serve in our military.

Not sure if this review will help anyone, but the story is a heartbreakingly/wonderful read. Again, I highly recommend reading it.
on June 16, 2014
I read this cover to cover on a transatlantic flight. I couldn't put it down. The love story draws you in and is magical. The tragedy of losing her love is equally gripping. The author sheds light on so many life dilemmas many people can relate to: the sacrifices and choices love often demands, the tragedy of losing a loved one, the grief and challenge of moving on, and most importantly, having the courage and strength to follow one's dream.
In the end the lesson is that sometimes we get to where we want to go by way of unexpected detours, and we need to embrace the
whole journey and have no regrets.
Ms. Henderson needs to keep writing - She is very gifted. Herr voice is clear, strong and resonates beautifully without getting lost in too much prose and the indulgence of hearing her own voice [My problem with many authors]. Bravo.
on February 12, 2014
This is such an honest, poignant memoir that really captures the essence of love and grief. It's brave and beautifully written, and without self-pity Henderson explores how the pain of losing her husband transforms into strength and courage. But it's the fact she admits feeling lost and alone, and doesn't always write about herself in a positive light, that makes her story so real and relatable.
on March 23, 2016
I liked the flow of the book, i found myself amused at some point especially the part when she was talking about her eating barbecue chicken, because I completely understand, being young and losing my irreplaceable husband, it's a journey, a walk only you can navigate through. I could imagine what kind of a friend, son and husband Miles was, the kind that deserved only the best, maybe it's the great ones don't stay here long. I hope she found happiness again. Thank you for sharing your story.