Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Unsound
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

67%
33%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 12, 2012
Ho hum. I get a certain type of aural pleasure from listening to a new MOB album that I don't get from any of my other albums. They have really perfected post-punk, but at the same time have created this unique sound that nobody could ever copy. What other band has three band members consisting of a drummer, bassist, and guitarist that trades off lead singing duties from song to song with each member owning a unique, perfect voice for the genre? None, in my estimation. Oh yeah, they also together create wonderful vocal harmonies. And the instruments? Do you like idiosyncratic drumming, angular guitar riffs, strange tape manipulations, an overall sonic attack that creates a highly original noise, yet oddly catchy tunes? This is rock music that creates brain cells.

I do like this album more than their last also-great album The Sound, The Speed, The Light but not quite as much as Vs., OnOffOn, or The Obliterati. The biggest gripe I have over this one is that it clocks in at only 35 minutes. 2-3 more songs probably would have made this one just as good as their best ones.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2012
7th release since 1981 from this now iconic Boston experimental rock band. They're an acquired
taste; a manipulated dose of dissonance and turmoil with a riveting undercurrent of power.
Herky-jerky post-punk with a viciously ripping rhythmic angularity that's balanced by a well-
developed sense of how to integrate melody with the politics of noise & anger. M.O.B. has
perfected the art of building controlled tension by placing urgent talk/sing vocals over vacillating
layers of antsy, spazzed-out guitar chords that swirl feedback into a cohesive wave of sound.
Members have played in several other bands, including Birdsongs Of the Mesozoic, Shellac,
Volcano Suns, Kustomized. Sometimes recalls Gang of Four, Pere Ubu, early Mekons,
Scumbag Philosopher. Another strong, challenging album form a talented band with a unique
sound.
on November 30, 2013
These guys will be forever underground, where they belong, and I'm right there with them. Loud, noisy, sometimes mathematical and sometimes avant, always aggressive and surprisingly sensitive, MOB's re-appearance in '04 was a big surprise, and that their records are are so much better (despite the apparent lack of even the radio play they had 80's) is both awesome and logical. Cool sleeve, too.

I wish they would cover "King of the Road".
on October 12, 2012
I've been listening to MoB since the late 80s, when I bought the Rykodisc reissue of "Signals, Calls, and Marches" and "Vs." Since they reunited, I listen to clips of their new songs expecting to be disappointed. I never am. Unsound is no exception. Great wordplay, interesting sounds, bombastic and overpowering instrumental music. It still sounds fresh in 2012. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I am. Love it!
on January 4, 2013
I remember seeing Mission of Burma graffiti all over Cambridge in the early 1980's. This album brings back the raw, DIY, sound of that time. So far, nothing as catchy as the Academy Fight Song, but the phrase "semi psuedo sort-of plan" is definitely stuck in my head. Loud raucous fun.
on October 4, 2012
I guess I date myself by using the word "album", but in this world of downloaded singles, this is really a great album. It sounds modern, but with all the energy and dissonance of Mission of Burma's earlier works. I enjoyed it from first song to last.