Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Until Now
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 17, 2000
I have Geddes' "Garden" book and never imagined that I would want another of hers -- not because it disappointed me but rather because it is so wonderful. After reading other reviews on "Until Now" I decided to splurge. I could hardly wait to get it out of its delivery wrapping. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I love this woman's work. The babies are wonders. The poses are wonders. The art of her photography shows me the wonderfulness of life itself. I can't help but be in a more relaxed smiling place after going through this book. Buy it! Do yourself a favor. Buy it! (Give it as a gift to someone you love!)
on December 20, 1999
I recieved this book as a gift. I love children, I believe they are our greatest asset, so does Anne Geddes. The natural poses, the ability to catch innocence at its best is amazing. My teenagers loved the book and so did their older grandparents. The pictures will stir a number of emotions from tears to smiles. It brought back many memories of my children as infants. This book is an outstanding investment for someone you love or anyone one who loves children.
The hardcover version of this book deserves more than five stars. It is the most enjoyable and rewarding book of baby photographs that it has been my pleasure to view and hug. I vastly prefer it to the paperback version.
The book has lots of modestly done baby nudity, and a little partial adult female nudity that is totally tame and artistic.
One of the pleasures of this book is that the images are HUGE! In some cases (such as with preemies), the babies are almost life size. The reproduction quality and paper are outstanding, so you can almost feel like you are present with these sleeping, mewling, cuddling, delightful little creatures!
I recently reviewed Ms. Geddes's Black-and-White: Photofolio. Until Now overcomes the limitations that I found in that wonderful work. There are many more images here (113), the size and reproduction are better here, and Ms. Geddes has provided interesting notes about the origins of each photograph.
The book begins with a nice quotation from Pablo Casals about the potential that is represented by each new life. The images connect the babies to nature (appearing as part of fruits and vegetables, masquerading as insects and animals, and overwhelmed with flowers) and to other babies and people. Many of the images also play with the thought that babies are angelic. Beyond that, there is a strong message of the connection that all humans have with one another.
If you are like me, you won't fall in love with all of these photographs. Sometimes sleeping babies aren't exactly the right models for the compositions Ms. Geddes has designed. On the other hand, sleeping babies are perfect in many images here, such as the baby lying upside down on a woman's abdomen.
But almost all of the images of babies and children who are awake are amazingly good. How does she do it?
A few of the images where the babies are extremely small seemed a bit contrived to me, but they are technically very well done.
My only complaint about the book is that a few of the images on two pages are marred by the center crease, and should have been reproduced differently.
Here are some of my many favorites in this volume:
Zac & Georgina 1991; Woodland Fairy 1995; Phillip & Arin 1993; Eddie with Scott & Sean 1993; Cabbage Kids 1991; Caleb (head version) 1997; India 1992; C.J. 1996; Ruby 1994; Zac 1992; Rebecca 1991; Christopher 1995; Four Angels 1996; Peony Angel 1995; Trent & Joel 1992; Aleesha & Jessie 1992; Crocodile Tears 1990; Linda & Ben 1994; Aunty Biddy's Face 1996; Boys & Doves 1993; Kieran & Abigail as Angels; and Jim, Flora & Pearl.
I also suggest that you think about how you could create your own imaginative versions of these images with your own children and grandchildren. Imagine what a great gift of enhanced self-image that could be for the child in the future. Rather than wanting to hide her or his baby picture (like those nude shots on the rug), the child can draw upon the photograph as a source of self-image and strength.
Evoke the potential of all those around you!
on January 16, 2000
I was first introduced to Anne's work by a co-worker who has one of her calendars. I was truly delighted to find her book "Until Now". It awakens wonderful emotions in me that I sometimes 'forget' in the hustle and bustle of my every day life. The color photos are usually the source for my giddiness (the 'large' baby with the sharpei puppy is priceless)...the black and white photos (especially the infants sleeping in adult hands) truly move me to tears. Thank you, Anne.
on November 18, 1999
Dear husband, Buy this book for me for Christmas! It's absolutely stunning, and it reawakens every maternal bone in my body! Geddes is so creative, and the babies are so sweet and perfect. The book is one of the those things that is so beautiful that I want to own and savor it.
on May 31, 2000
This is a collection of, in my opinion, all of Anne's best works--a celebration of the beauty of human life. The pictures are amazing, enjoyable, & will leave you hungering for more. This is an expensive book, but worth every dime--I'm so glad to have this as a part of my library: I know I will want to go back & just appreciate & enjoy looking at these stunning photographs of human life over & over again!
on May 12, 2000
The Master of infant and children photography has captured the essence and miracle of new life! Anne Geddes new book is an extension of the thousands of photos that have graced her works and have enthralled us for years. This book gives us a fundamental perspective of the innocence, the miracle and the greatness of infants and children. Truly a collector book and one to pass on to our children!
on January 11, 2000
Anne Geddes continues to amaze with these wonderful photographs of babies. What is it about her that she is able to capture the beauty and innocence of children. It truly makes me understand that as a parent we have an awesome responsibility to nuture our children. I loved the range of photos including the black & white, and it was wonderful to see the mix of ethnic races. I did not find the nudity at all a problem - it was at all times tasteful and only served to reflect the wonders of the human body and our ability to create another precious life. Anne keep on inspiring us.
on October 29, 1999
Ms Geddes capturing of babies in unusual settings really causes the mind to wonder. How does she get those wonderful shots? While the color photographs are wonderful, I particularly enjoyed the black and white shots.
on January 12, 2000
I was very pleased with the pictures, but the part of the book I enjoyed most were the last pages of the book where Anne has duplicated all the pictures in the book in miniture and under each picture she writes about how the picture came about. It was facinating, and wonderful to learn "How'd they do that" from the person who did.