BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Kidz Bop PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 1, 2015
What made this style of amplifier one of the best choices in mini amplifiers? It was the Tripath Amplifier chip TA2020-020, an amplifier IC that has unparalleled clarity and performance. The Lepy in this listing IS NOT a TRIPATH based TA2020-020 amplifier! In fact, it is a cheap class D amplifier IC that has been overstamped so that you can't even identify the amplifier chip that was used! This Lepy amplifier has the cosmetic look of the original Lepai LP-2020A+ .. but that's where it stops, because once you open it up it's a different story! It's only been made to resemble the Lepai LP-2020A+ You can tell by the pictures the HUGE difference in the internal electronics and design. Don't be snookered, if you want the clarity and performance of the original TripaLepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supplyth-based amplifier, buy the LEPAI LP-2020A+ original, not this cheap imitation.
review image
77 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2017
This amp powers 2 speakers 8 hours a day, everyday. I think they sound excellent but I'm no audiophile. I thought the amp died one day after a year+ of use so I purchased a second cause I liked it so much. Well next day the amp started working again and has been for weeks since, no idea what happened. If it does go out I now have a backup.
on October 17, 2017
Gave 3 star only because the multi-room mode doesn't work so well. The first song or two on multi-room worked fine, and both zones were in sync, but that behavior is short-lived, and eventually, one of the two AudioCasts will skip and jump a lot. I observed this behavior both with streaming across the internet and even from my local NAS. I emailed support and their response wasn't very helpful, nor did they seem particularly interested in solving my problem.

The app also isn't all that intuitive, but it is feature packed. I've been running the AudioCast side-by-side with the ChromeCast, and both work just as well, except the ChromeCast works with multi-room seamlessly.

The key difference between the two is how to stream content. On the iPhone, the AudioCast can work through a streaming icon in most apps, or the AudioCast app itself is capable of switching between various content providers. The ChromeCast app (which is actually the "Google Home" app) is very limited and is mostly just used to create multi-room pairs. Instead of managing content providers through the ChromeCast, you must have a content provider's app on your phone to manage your content, whether it be online based content or local content (i.e. NAS).

If the AudioCast can get the multi-room audio working in a future release, it will be a strong competitor to the ChromeCast. My additional concerns with the AudioCast is their quality of support, and longevity of the company that created it.
on July 28, 2017
I have this attached to my TV and 2x behringer truth passive monitors. It works great, I did turn up the gain/volume to near max on the speakers, however this provides more than enough volume and I have yet to max out the overall volume controlled through the TV. I do appreciate the mountable holes on device. My only complaint is that when the device is on, the blue LED is extremely bright. I would advise some electrical tape over the LED if it bothers you.
on April 10, 2017
This item is worth buying when wanting to add some extra bass, treble, and/or volume to your sound system. It gets the job done!
Remember that this item does require cables and an outlet so make sure you have one close by and it also does require cables.
on August 21, 2017
I purchased this to use with my Amazon Echo Dot. I paired it with some Pioneer bookshelf speakers and it sounds fantastic. I originally had the Echo hooked up to a Pioneer receiver. While the Pioneer receiver definitely had more power, the sound was not nearly as clean and this $25 wonder. I love having a bass and treble knob that today's receivers seem to be missing. Anyway, this was a tremendous bang for the buck and I am purchasing another one for my other Echo Dot setup.
on November 13, 2015
After two months, I am still pleasantly surprised with this amplifier - it is cheap at less than $18, small, and very light - and it sounds great. It's not powerful, providing 20 watts rms, but I have a pair of 40" floor standing three way Sony speakers rated at 200 watts max each, and the amplifier drives them both with no problem. Make sure you don't turn the volume to a distortion level, because that is a sure way to destroy audio equipment. I use it connected to computers and the two inputs are useful. The back panel has a 3.5mm stereo and two channel rca connectors. When the rca jacks are used, they block the 3.5mm input. The sound produced is clear and clean, with little distortion at a reasonable listening volume. It is all metal construction with plastic knobs and switch and I was surprised at what appears to be excellent build quality. Everything fit nicely and the text was printed clearly. It does have non-recessed screw heads protruding from the chassis, but that doesn't bother me. The only thing I don't like is the bright blue light around the volume knob. It makes it difficult to see the volume position. A light indicating volume position would have been much more practical. If you need a very cheap, functional audio amplifier this seems the best value for the money.
on January 6, 2016
I used this in my sun room so I could have music in my back yard. I've already suggested a few other people get one. I hooked up two cheap bookshelf speakers to it and it works great. It only has 4 stars because it's pretty clear by listening to the quality of the music that I'm using a cheap amp and at max volume it's pretty loud, but definitely could be a little better. Honestly though, for the price, I really can't complain. This is a fantastic way to add 2 channel sound somewhere. Also, it's in my sunroom, which floods a little so it's very moist in there, hot during the summer, and freezing cold during the winter. It still works fine after a year. I kept an old 5.1 receiver back there at first and that thing died from the moisture after just a few months. This little guy is still trucking along. Eh, actually, I'm giving it 5 stars instead of 4. For the price, you get decent sound and it's really durable. Super easy to set up. However, the power cord is kinda short. Just use an extension cord like me. I'd say the power cord is only about 3 feet.
on January 2, 2015
I'm using this with the Dayton B652s, a widely publicized and deservedly lauded combination.

It powers my speakers, and its set up and operation is very easy to understand. The volume knob is easy to operate. The build quality is pretty decent for this price range; nothing askew, good solid switch and buttons.

The tone controls impinge on the sound, the cord is short, and the light up ring around the volume knob is like the baleful eye of a frost giant. The volume knob should really have some kind of raised ridge to indicate its position in a tactile way. It doesn't even have much of a visual indicator (not that that's too useful, given that I need to set it out of my line of sight, lest it blind me). I have to turn it all the way down and then back up to make sure a movie, game, or music is going to be the right volume before I start it.

The tone controls do in fact negatively affect the sound, even with the controls at their labeled neutral position, and I could not find a combination of positions that made it sound natural, or, you know, good. Just to make sure I wasn't influenced by reviews on the matter, I did a short set of trials where I paid my niece in bubble gum to flip a coin and either press or not press the tone button, after which I'd play a song with which I was familiar. I didn't do many trials but that's because I guessed right five out of five times by assuming that worse meant she'd turned on tone control.

I honestly didn't feel that the original power supply was that weedy, though admittedly I rarely need ridiculous volume. However, its cord was stupidly short, which limited placement options, so I'm glad I ordered the other power supply at the same time. I can confirm this works quite well: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6ZR5O

Now, the worst problem is definitely the light around the volume knob. It is by far the brightest light on or around my computer save the monitor, and the monitor only wins by a little. I can honestly almost read by this thing. The brightness of the light means I have to set it somewhere out of sight. Sharpie ink doesn't seem to stick, and the unevenness irritated me.

If it had all these problems and they tried to charge thirty dollars for it I'd pass it up for a better deal. But they don't so for extreme budget computer or general use audio, I don't think this and the 40$ Dayton or Monoprice speakers can be beat. The combo absolutely humiliates every plastic-y piece of junk 2.0 or 2.1 "computer multimedia speaker system set" I've ever had, even ones comparable in price.
on November 21, 2013
the lepai made me buy a topping tp22 because i saw the potential in the tripath chip. not much to be said that others havent already said..... scratchy volume pot, a little hiss, 5 watts into 8 ohms, this one came with a 3 amp ps, doesnt sound bad for what it is, just dont crank it up too loud. for $20 it has its purpose. deserves 4 stars for the price/performance...

for 5 times the cost the topping is very nice, better sound all way around, better bass, highs, warmer sound, etc built very well..... 4 stars for the topping too because of the price, but does sound very sweet

on a side note i have the Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers, they are the best small speakers period... work well with the tripath chip altho they arent all that sensitive (84db) so you wont blow the roof off with the lapai or topping but sound very good together...