Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 1, 2015
What made this style of amplifier one of the best choices in mini amplifiers? It was the Tripath Amplifier chip TA2020-020, an amplifier IC that has unparalleled clarity and performance. The Lepy in this listing IS NOT a TRIPATH based TA2020-020 amplifier! In fact, it is a cheap class D amplifier IC that has been overstamped so that you can't even identify the amplifier chip that was used! This Lepy amplifier has the cosmetic look of the original Lepai LP-2020A+ .. but that's where it stops, because once you open it up it's a different story! It's only been made to resemble the Lepai LP-2020A+ You can tell by the pictures the HUGE difference in the internal electronics and design. Don't be snookered, if you want the clarity and performance of the original TripaLepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supplyth-based amplifier, buy the LEPAI LP-2020A+ original, not this cheap imitation.
review image
77 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 10, 2017
This amplifier runs my new Dayton's 652, and the clear crisp sound at half volume is great, but I did change my power ac / DC adapter, I changed to a 5 amp. The 20watt rms is more than adequate. I bought a new digital lepy/radio, with a remote to add a center channel to my system. I just need to know how to use either a left or right or both on the new lepy 15watt rms for my acoustic 4" done that I found for $25.00 will complement my audio system using dual amps to run the two bookshelf's, along with a highly rated cheap center channel to complete my audio/ HiFi system for my Sony 65" tv. Just the Dayton's alone, sound better than the edifers1280bt, that I bought for the audio/HiFi on my bedrm 65" lg. It has twice the volume while the whole spectrum of sound for $50 vs. $100 for the edifers. The edifers sound good, always at top volume, but no room for adjustment. Going with the lepy's along with $29 buck Dayton pair beats most $200 systems.
on April 10, 2017
This item is worth buying when wanting to add some extra bass, treble, and/or volume to your sound system. It gets the job done!
Remember that this item does require cables and an outlet so make sure you have one close by and it also does require cables.
on November 14, 2017
Seriously great amp for the price. I bought some 40 watt, 6 inch woofer, bookshelf speakers to use with this amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=psdc_3236451011_t5_B00O17LP48 This is all hooked up to my computer as I do some serious audio editing and can't stand the headphone approach. Once you have your EQ settings in Windows set properly this can output near audiophile quality sound! This wont blow your windows out but is extremely good at mid volume levels.
on November 13, 2015
After two months, I am still pleasantly surprised with this amplifier - it is cheap at less than $18, small, and very light - and it sounds great. It's not powerful, providing 20 watts rms, but I have a pair of 40" floor standing three way Sony speakers rated at 200 watts max each, and the amplifier drives them both with no problem. Make sure you don't turn the volume to a distortion level, because that is a sure way to destroy audio equipment. I use it connected to computers and the two inputs are useful. The back panel has a 3.5mm stereo and two channel rca connectors. When the rca jacks are used, they block the 3.5mm input. The sound produced is clear and clean, with little distortion at a reasonable listening volume. It is all metal construction with plastic knobs and switch and I was surprised at what appears to be excellent build quality. Everything fit nicely and the text was printed clearly. It does have non-recessed screw heads protruding from the chassis, but that doesn't bother me. The only thing I don't like is the bright blue light around the volume knob. It makes it difficult to see the volume position. A light indicating volume position would have been much more practical. If you need a very cheap, functional audio amplifier this seems the best value for the money.
on October 29, 2014
As of this writing, the unit I ordered from Amazon has not arrived yet, but I already have a couple of these so I can safely give my review of it. If you're considering one of these, this is the one you want. It's worth the extra three bucks for the improved start up circuitry. The older unit will give a loud pop through your speakers when you turn it on. With good speakers, these things are amazing. Keep in mind that we're talking about a $20 amp here. It's pretty well documented that the power supply that comes with these is inadequate at best. Out of two that I purchased elsewhere, not at Amazon, one had a bad power supply. If you get a power supply that works, the amperage is too low to get the most out of this amp anyway. I am running two of them off of a old computer PSU, which is rated at 12v 24 amps. There are many suitable power supplies on Amazon that sell for about six bucks. The Lepai amp itself is very light weight, does not feel like a quality piece of hardware in your hand. The sound is great, depending on your speakers. I use one with a pair of old Bose 501's (purchased in '78) and another one is paired to some Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers. Both sound pretty darn good with these amps. This third amp will see service in the garage, and in the driveway when I open the garage door. These amps are capable of much greater volume than you will ever need. They will sound better if you do not crank it all the way up. At half volume, these things are very loud. They run very cool, even after several hours of constant use. I started using these amps when my Yamaha receiver (15 years old) started to have a problem with arcing. I'm not in a position to shell out a couple grand for a new one at the moment. I am pretty happy with these cheap amps for the time being.
on May 26, 2017
This review is for the older, Lepai-branded 2020A amplifier, I have no experience with the Lepy model that has taken it's place.
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply

While I've since replaced this amplifier with a much more powerful dedicated receiver, this little amplifier works quite well for the price. While I wouldn't suggest actually turning it all the way up to the maximum volume, you'll get quite clear audio out of this up through what would be roughly 6/10 on the volume knob.
on March 20, 2014
Can't say this amp is awesome, but for what it is (and the price it is), it is pretty darned good.

Get the negatives out of the way first. It is very small and light and tends to move around when you touch it, so you probably will need to secure it with screws or double sided tape. It only has two inputs...one set of RCA jacks and one microphone input...so you aren't going to operate a full home theater with this. The power cord is awfully short and it is a bit annoying that the transformer is part of the cord and they didn't just make the device a bit larger and integrate the transformer in it.

But that said, I had about a 15 year old Onkyo receiver die recently that was being used as a backup stereo receiver. It had gotten to the point where it was only being used as an amp for the CD changer I got in 1987 that still gets used occasionally. So I got the Lepai based on generally positive reviews at cnet and its very low price to simply serve as an amp for my old CD changer.

I've only had it connected for a few days, but so far am generally impressed. Sounds just fine to my admittedly untrained ear when playing CD's and driving a pair of Bose 301's.
on October 14, 2013
How can you go wrong for 25 bucks, the sound is very good the volume is good as well. You wont rock the block but for powering speakers on your patio this is the ticket (You can get a neighbor to complain though). Build quality is what you would expect for the price. The blue led is tacky, and the speaker bindings are cheap, but it is 25 bucks. this will not compare to any good sound system but it is very surprising what you get for the money. Any place you wanted sound but the budget was the issue this will work quite nicely, I have given this to people as First Apartment gifts, and and every one who see this in action ends up finding some place to implement the 25 dollar solution. I tried changing the power supply to get better sound as recommend in many posts but the power supply I picked actually degraded the sound quality. I am a Audiophile hobbyist, and have two very nice systems and this is not as good as those as that I am using speakers that are left over from previous pre-audiophile attempts at home theater, but I do not want to use this to power $750+ speakers. I have used this with the First Generation Andrew Jones Pioneer book shelves (6ohm) and it was really nice. I have listened to systems from Big Box retailes that sound a lot worse. I highly recommend this little amp just mount it out of sight, and let people guess if you want them to think you have spent more. Last tip this will not do classical music with a lot of transitions well but for back ground music for dinning alfresco or a little bit of Zeppelin for the post yard-work refreshments this amp will make you realize that for 25 dollars you should have done it sooner.
on July 28, 2014
While I was a little skeptical about this item, I needed it for an RV, so I thought 'for $20., it doesn't matter'. But it has amazed me now for almost a month.

At this time I'm using it in a house running a set of Klipsch Heresy II's that I've had for over 30 years and are very familiar with. I'm almost embarrassed by how well the amp sounds; it compares very well with receivers I've used costing a *lot* more. Amazing, and an astonishing deal.

Here's a few notes -

1. It weighs almost nothing.
2. It's tiny - approx 4 X 3 inches.
3. Don't be concerned about not having enough sound volume. If you're using 8 ohm speakers, it will be fine. LOUD if you want that.
4. I've only used the 3.5 MM input jack. It has a set of RCA inputs too.
5. Running MP3s from a Windows 8 notebook as the source.
6. The power supply is pretty small, and rated at 2 amps. I put a power cable in the RV between a 12 volt light fixture and a standard power connector for 12 V to supply it. Runs off the 'house' battery, not the starting battery, but frankly I wouldn't worry if it was. Low power consumption, likely less than a car radio.
7. The tone controls do not have a powerful effect, but they do work. I like that they can be defeated with a push button switch.
8. Heat. There isn't any. I've run it hard (loud) for 18 hours straight and it was still at room temp.

Anyway, almost an unbelievable device, and still would be at 5 times the price. Recommend it highly. Once I take it on the road, it'll get some fairly severe abuse from vibration, moisture, and such. I will follow up in the future if I have any issues with it.