BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 6, 2015
I bought this book several years ago (I bought also the two more recent version of Upgrading and repairing PC) I repaired my old Lenovo notebook with windows vista, nevertheless, I learned a lot from the Scott Mueller books, other publication help me more, to replace the HDD, install Windows 7 and upgrade the Memory in my Lenovo. (The small book " The Healthy PC" has in few pages everything I needed to Know.) The reason for what I decided to write this review is to advise the readers about the "Manufacturer User Manual", in my case The Manual provided by the site Lenovo USA is useless (A complete chapter of "Repair Tools" is missing) they want you sent your Laptop to them.) The site Levovo Global had a Manual with a Chapter of tools to replace the HDD and upgrade the Memory.
on January 7, 2008
I bought this book hoping it would help with laptop diagnosis and disassembly. I was very disappointed. There is almost nothing laptop-specific in this book, and it does not cover some very common laptop problems. A lot of laptops I work on have video problems that are usually caused by a bad LCD screen, bad inverter, or bad motherboard. There is absolutely nothing in this book that helps diagnose which it could be, nor is there any info for disassembly of those parts. There is also very little info for major laptop disassembly.

Overall, I would not recommend this book unless you are looking for an in-depth description of how various hardware components work. There is very little in this book that applies only to laptops, and there is very little diagnostic help with laptop-specific problems.
on December 27, 2015
Good reference and interesting as all of Scott's writing, but woefully short on upgrading. I had hoped for more on ugrading possibilities for CPU and memory, but have actually found more information online and on blogs than was in the book. Not as useful as his desktop upgrade series which I really used.
on March 10, 2015
Despite some of the reviews, this is a great reference book.

As the book points out, the nature of laptops requires a manual from the manufacturer for details on any specific model.
on June 21, 2017
Better then expected.
on July 23, 2016
I know it's used & was advertised that way, but it's just okay.
on September 15, 2014
Big book. A great book. A little dated and technical but still very good. DVD is a little condescending and not thorough but still okay. Book is expensive unless used Amazon.
on June 7, 2013
If you are looking for a book that will help you work on your laptop, this is the book to purchase. Saves you to money you would spend if you sent your laptop out to have it repaired by a repair place. Easy to follow reading. Great DVD to show you how to.
on December 21, 2014
It was a good reference book at the time but still useful now if you are a novice cpu builder
on December 29, 2015