Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Uptown Saturday Night” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 9% off the $14.97 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Uptown Saturday Night
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Featurette:Dynamite Duo: A Retrospective
- Commentary by Dr. Todd Boyd, USC professor of cinema and television and author if "Am I Black Enough for You: Popular Culture from the 'Hood and Beyond"
- The Lowdown on Uptown: a retrospective featuring James Earl Jones, Denise Nicholas, Jimmie Walker, Julius Harris, filmmaker Oscar Williams, screenwriter Richard Wesley, New York Press critic Armond White, fashion designer Ron Finley, and Dr. Todd Boyd, USC professor of cinema and television
Top Customer Reviews
Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby are Steve Jackson and Wardell Franklin, respectively, a pair of working class stiffs (Steve works in a mill, while Wardell drives a cab), looking to get a piece of the action...er, wait, that's the title of their third film...anyway, one night, the two men decide to visit an `after hours' club, essentially an exclusive nightclub featuring illegal gambling, called Zenobia's. The place is jumping, full of fly guys, foxy mamas, and hot, funky music...and gambling. Just as the pair hits it big on the dice table, a gang of masked gunmen raid the joint, robbing the place blind. The next day Steve discovers he's won $50,000 dollars in the lottery, but guess what?Read more ›
And from there, the action begins. The boys go a little "undercover," by scouting out every local gangster, to see which one has got possession of the ticket, and some of the gags they encounter in the process make it all-the-more fun; it's *absolutely* hilarious! Features Harry Belafonte, Flip Wilson, Rosalind Cash, and a cameo appearance by Richard Pryor. Highly recommended if you want a non-stop laugh fest.
I was also disappointed in the "documentary" included as a "Special Feature" entitled "The Lowdown on Uptown: A Retrospective". This "lowdown" is a little too brief and even suffers from false advertisement. On the back of the DVD package, the consumer is led to believe that this retrospective would include comments by Denise Nicholas and Jimmie Walker. I saw or heard nothing from either of them. Again where was Poitier, where was Cosby?
Enough complaints however because this is one of my favorite films of all time. I particularly like the character roles of Roscoe Lee Browne, Richard Pryor, and Flip Wilson. The film also includes great displays of the lives and concerns of Black folk in the mid 1970s. All I have to say as with all DVDs ... bring on more "special features" and "extras".
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love the movie. But, because of the shipping the dvd was damaged. I couldn't watch & had to send it back.Published 17 days ago by Amazon Customer
Fun film from the comedy duo of Sidney Portier and Bill Cosby. Two best friends go to an after hours club that gets robbed. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Quentin E. Bullard
Watched this with my dad and my niece. We thought it was funny and reminisced about the fashion, the slang, the cars,... A nice stroll down memory land. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Laura A
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > African American Cinema
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Cash, Johnny
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy