Truck Reviews Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 30, 2016
Yoish!
I have been exploring movement practices in the wild Olympic Mountains for years, seeking a practice that is primal, practical and passionate. It has always been so hard to find a author that explains things well enough, that i can use the information to guide my training. Ratey is the one that has done that for me, connecting the brain to our evolutionary heritage. "Those times are these times but they are not the same time".
I have carried this book with me on six vision quest. It is a good barefoot manual.
mickdodge.com
Nat Geo
Legend Of Mick Dodge
5 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2017
If you are interested in learning about the brain, this is the one book you can read to learn it all. This book is loaded with information and includes the results of famous researchers. If you are looking for a read that "skims" over the brain, this is not it. It is a step by step revelation of the brain's sections, uses, powers, and unknowns. It will take you some time to get through it. This is not a novel. Some of the terms take repeating a few times just to get them right.If anyone has had any sort of issue with a trauma, concussion, tumor, etc., this would be a wonderful read. I wish this had been available when I was in my doctoral program in psychology.
on April 14, 2005
Since I first read this book a few years ago, I have recommended it to many others and given it away as gifts. It was great for my elderly father, who enjoyed learning more about memory and aging, as well as for a young student neice who enjoyed learning about how we learn and retain information and tips and tricks to studying. Want to know aout Alzheimers or preventing it? About Autism? Learning disabilities? Photographic memory? Schizophrenia? Or even why we like spicy foods? This book provides truly interesting real life stories and examples. Its the best book I ever read that takes the science of the brain and makes it understandable and fascinating to the average person. Even years later, I often take it out a read a section here and a section there. Ratey did a fantastic job with this book!!!
10 people found this helpful
on July 18, 2017
This is a great book. I had it years ago and then let it go and was desperate to find it again but could not remember the exact name. Lamenting this story to my brother, he said, "Oh, I think you lent that to me..." and then went to his bookshelf and handed me the book. I flipped through it and when I came to the chapter on perception I immediately recognized the story and was overjoyed! I bought it on Kindle immediately after that.
VINE VOICEon April 1, 2008
This is an excellent guide to the brain and how it works. The focus on movement and its role in the brain, as well as neuro-chemistry provides fascinating insights into how the brain works and even how such disorders as ADHD are caused by neurological deficits. The book is written in easy to understand language, but also with an appreciation of the potential reader. I definitely recommend it as a good introduction to neuro-science and the mysteries of the human body.
on June 25, 2014
I have read this book with immense pleasure and interest. It is a must for young parents as well as teachers and medical professionals. It describes in a very comprehensive way, the modern thinking about the functioning of the brain, both in normal persons as well as in different pathologies. It also challenges the way of current treatments of mental disease, which will change the way psychologists and psychiatrists approach the psychiatric patient.
on September 4, 2016
This text fits well with the pictures under the title "The Brain."
on January 13, 2015
Fantastic introductory book to fundamental concepts of neuroscience, filled with anecdotes and offers a concise understanding of the topic. Organization is excellent, as well.
on February 12, 2012
I have been an amateur student of the brain for quite a while, and I enjoyed this recap of the neurological viewpoint of the brain. The author does a great job putting in lay terms how to think about the different functions of the brain, from sensory, to motor, attention and consciousness. In my opinion he used just the right amount of scientific terms and lay terms. My only desire would be to refresh the book since it was written in 2001-2002. I'm sure there have been many advancements in Neurological Science in the last decade that could be woven back into this book pretty easily.
on May 30, 2010
If you are a complete novice to brain and perception, this is the book for you - that is, if you can stay awake long enough to get through it. If you took a course in perception or physiological psychology or physiology - or if you did self-study in these areas, skip this book and go on to something less broad. Though the author promises lots of illustrations (case histories), there are not many - and most of which are old and have already been written up in your college textbook.
3 people found this helpful