Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Using FileMaker Bento
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on August 22, 2010
Using Bento has been a great resource for me. The book is well written & is supported by videos and audio segments that are accessed online. When it comes to software learning, I like to read and see, so the videos were extremely valuable.

A word about support from those involved with the book. Like a previous reviewer, I initially had trouble getting the online content It appeared at first glance that I needed to pay an additional fee! I e-mailed the representative (Loretta Yates) who offered to help the previous disgruntled reviewer with similar problems. I sent my help request around midnight on a Friday, and Loretta responded around 5:30 AM the next morning! She constantly followed up and soon I had complete access to the content. Turns out a previous "free trial" i Had enacted was creating the problem. So, mega-kudos to Loretta and the Safari on-line help and theauthor! When you buy this book, you are buying a team of dedicated professionals, Thanks!!
on August 22, 2010
As the previous reviewer mentioned, I had some difficulties accessing the online materials, but both the author and
Loretta from Que responded very quickly and cleared things up (wait for the email from Que to provide the
necessary information to log in for access, and although this is a little unclear from the instructions I should
have known this).

I've used the web edition exclusively, the first time I've tried it, and it works remarkably well. The added
video and audio clips by the author add a lot, sometimes just useful comments mentioned in passing.
So the hardcopy is just sitting on the shelf, at least for now!

The presentation is clear, careful, and informative. Bento has some limitations in contrast to an industrial
strength database like Filemaker Pro 11 (from my point of view the most important is that there is no way
to create a common key field to create relations, although there are ways to create relations by hand). This
book explains what Bento can do and what it is good for. It also describes how to use the iPad and iPhone
apps as very portable extensions of your database, which I am finding incredibly handy as well.
on July 23, 2010
Don't buy this book if you want a real reference to using Bento. The book is hard to read, hard to follow, and the illustrations are all so small that you need a magnifying glass to see what they refer to. But this isn't the real reason it is a ripoff. Inside the front cover they tell you it is more than just a book. That you also get free access to the Web version at Safari Books Online. I bought the book. I followed the instructions for registering it. They show that I have registered it. They even confirm that I have the book in my own hot hands by asking me for a specific word in a chapter and paragraph. All goes well. Then I click the link for safari books and there is the book. But guess what? It is only a preview. If I want to see the whole book, I must buy a subscription, which costs $42 a month! So this free online book with videos and updates and all sorts of good stuff is really just a tickler to get you to buy this subscription that costs four times what the book costs and you have to pay it every month. How do these people stay in business? First scam I have ever come across on Amazon.
on July 2, 2012
I tried using the tutorials that come with Bento, and looking on line, for a YEAR before buying this book. It has been just what I needed to get past the hump and actually UNDERSTAND the paradigm of Bento and how to use it. I have only READ the text, and it is everything I need. This book is great at providing not only the underlying structure of Bento, but also at providing real examples that you can try yourself.
on May 19, 2013
Switching to a Mac Mini from a G5 PPC Mac obsoleted my invaluable Palm Desktop data base. Luckily I found Bento to replace it. The switch over was not elegant because I could not import my Palm data. I wound up keying in the one hundred and thirty eight entries using the Cut and Paste method.
on September 18, 2010
USING FILEMAKER BENTO by Jesse Feiler provides a fine survey covering the latest version of FileMaker Bento. From step-by-step video tutorials and audio sidebars delivered through the Free Web Edition to black and white screen shots that clearly cover steps outlined in the text, this is a recommendation for any collection seeking Filemaker Bento-specific instruction.
on January 5, 2014
Links no longer available so rather useless. I found this a waste and would not recommend it.
Save your money - old!
on November 6, 2013
Very helpful in giving me some new ideas for use. Answered a couple of questions I had about how to do some things.
on July 18, 2014
Very good!
on May 15, 2015
Well written and easily understood.