Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Using Old Testament Hebrew in Preaching: A Guide for Students and Pastors
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon November 19, 2009
One of the most bewildering aspects of biblical studies is the study of ancient languages like biblical Hebrew and Greek. In some circles using Hebrew or Greek is frowned on. In many it is a necessary evil. The aspiring pastor must prove he can pass a few semesters of the languages. After this, he will likely use Greek sparingly and Hebrew not at all. In our day and age, however, there is a proliferation of bible study tools available to bring the wealth of language learning to the fingertips of even interested lay students. There is no excuse for a pastor to not grapple with the original text to some degree.

Paul Wegner has provided a tool to help out busy pastors and once-upon-a-time Hebrew students. His new book <em>Using Old Testament Hebrew in Preaching: A Guide for Students and Pastors</em> explains just how to put even a beginning level of Hebrew to use in preaching and studying the Bible.

The book is laid out very simply, and is designed to be a tool in itself. It starts with an explanation of why Hebrew study matters, and why pastors should take pains to try and use it. Wegner goes on to discuss the tools that are available to help use Hebrew. He compares software programs, Hebrew grammars and other study aids. The book proceeds to discuss how to study a passage using exegesis, literary analysis, theological analysis, and application. Wegner then goes on to explain how to put it all together and prepare an OT sermon. He illustrates just how to do this. The book closes with a discussion on various ways of keeping Hebrew language study fresh, and includes several appendices as aids in their own right.

The book is written in a simple and straightforward style, which makes it accessible to students of all levels of proficiency in Hebrew. Even those with no knowledge of Hebrew would benefit from this book as they plan on pursuing some kind of training in the language.

I learned several helpful things to benefit my own study of Hebrew. Structural analysis of Bible passages is apparently easier with Hebrew than Greek. (This gives some hope!) I also learned to be wary of older Hebrew study tools which prize etymology too much, specifically Brown, Driver and Brigg's lexicon. Modern study has shown the history of words does not always impact their meaning at a given time. On that note, the study of Hebrew nouns is going to be most beneficial and rewarding. This is different than Greek, where verbs are key. The book also includes an excellent list of recommended scholarly and lay commentaries for each OT book.

I can't recommend this little book enough. If you have studied Biblical Hebrew or if you think you will (or you should), you would be blessed in having this book.

My thanks go out to Leslie Paladino of Kregel Publishers for furnishing me with a review copy of this book, at my request.
on July 9, 2014
Not the most exciting read ever, but it is Hebrew, so that might be expected. But, this was a good book. Its sort of a dry topic, but Wegner managed to make it interesting without removing too much to make it too light. He found a good balance that worked well, with practical advice.
VINE VOICEon January 29, 2010
Ok to be perfectly clear on this and up front... I do not enjoy Hebrew, but I enjoyed reading this book. Using Old Tesament Hebrew in Preaching did challenge me to be dilligent in continuing my Hebrew studies as well as give me hope that I might use my Hebrew skills for years to come. It is a very down to earth, practical and motivating book. I applaud author Paul D. Wegner for bringing such a relavent and timely book to my aid when I was doubting the relavance of Hebrew in my future ministry.

The book is made up of five brief chapters that are full of encouragement and motivation for Hebrew students to press on in learning the language. All along the way Wegner is sure to provide tools, references, and recomendations to support and encourage the student in his or her pursuits. Above all else, he challenges the reader to press forward in studying and using a language that can be very confusing and tricky (at least to this student). He does a great job of taking a very large challenge and stripping it to bite sized chunks.
on August 26, 2013
written for teachers that have a grasp upon the Hebrew language and will be teaching through Old Testament passages for small or large groups.
One particular strength of this book is the practical guidelines the writer offers in applying the Hebrew language and Old Testament scriptures into the delivery of a sermon or Bible message.
on January 1, 2013
This is an absolutely great resource. The sermon outline is both structural and strategic; practical and challenging. It was an excellent guide for writing my first sermon. I shared it in my first hebrew course and highly recommended it to other seminarians. I would suggest that the author write another book for new testament greek.
on March 20, 2010
Only 166 pages, but lots of good information and resource recommendations. As a struggling student, the part I liked most was the section that tells what one needs to do to reach the level one wants to achieve in the Hebrew language. Plus it tells what to do to maintain that level after completing classes. There's also a lot of other good information especially for teachers and preachers. This is a book that would be useful for many years.
on May 1, 2016
Got this book for class and we have just started using it. I did read ahead and it appears to be a very good write. I am sure it will be very helpful.
on October 13, 2014
I like what I see so far, I haven't had the opportunity to go through it very well yet.
on February 14, 2015
Did not want to read another book, but this one was cool!
on May 16, 2016
I am completely satisfied and fast delivery a plus!