Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,015 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,049 reviews
on July 25, 2012
I bought this Uspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E card from Amazon in order to have the latest and much faster USB on my existing computers. This is a very cost effective and fairly simple way to increase your USB speeds by a factor of 10 over USB 2.0(if you have USB 3.0 capable devices). If you're transferring large files or cloning disks via USB docks this is the way to go.

PROS: It's less expensive than most similar items and works perfectly when installed correctly. Physical installation is simple and obvious - be sure to insert the card fully into the appropriate slot and then attach one of the Molex 4-pin connectors from your power supply.

CONS: I bought three of these for various household computers (different brands and specs) and none of the driver installation disks worked with any of the computers. The Uspeed website (USPEED.CO) is a frustrating mish-mash of broken links, confusing navigation, and missing drivers.

HELPFUL HINTS: Try installing the driver disk and it may work. If not, you can try navigating into the Device Manager in Windows and tell Windows to try and find the driver (apparently works for some, but didn't work for me). Or you can save yourself some grief and go straight to VIA for the driver. What you want is VIA's xhci (extensible host controller interface) USB 3.0 driver. Currently the driver is named VL810 Superspeed USB Hub Controller Firmware 0.89 - Released July 22, 2011. Don't bother trying the Intel xhci driver, it's easier to find but won't work.

UPDATE: The latest update to the driver is now version 0.95. VIA says that this update "Resolved issue with Intel USB 3.0 Host where devices were occasionally not properly re-enumerated after resuming from S3/S4, warm-boot, or cold boot." (I did not have that issue with version 0.89)

UPDATE II: Please read the comments section attached to this review as another helpful user has turned up some interesting information.

CURRENT VIA URL: (Deleted by Amazon)

WARNING: If you do a Google search for the driver most of your hits are going to be from outfits trying to con you into downloading their proprietary driver-update software. Don't do it, your computer will end up slow and cluttered with spam. Get the driver directly from VIA.

UPDATE III: Again, please read the comments section. Many users have been very helpful with reporting their experiences, tips, & tricks.
3838 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2016
I recently upgraded my computer and had a bunch of leftover older parts. Since they are still perfectly useable, I decided to build a computer for my girlfriend by reusing them and adding a few more parts. Since the motherboard is older, it does not have USB 3.0. I wanted an inexpensive way to add USB 3.0 to the system, particularly an internal header for the two USB 3.0 ports on the front of the new case. After some searching, I settled on the Anker® Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2 Port Express Card, with 1 USB 3.0 20-pin Connector and 5V 4 Pin Male Power Connector.

Right off the bat, I should note that most USB 3.0 expansion cards in this price range (including the Anker) are PCI-E x1 cards. Assuming your motherboard has PCI-E 2.0, which older motherboards without USB 3.0 are likely to have, a x1 slot offers a maximum bandwidth of 500 MB/s. The USB 3.0 spec has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 640 MB/s, so you will never reach the theoretical maximum speed of USB 3.0 with this card. It likely doesn't matter though, as there are probably other bottlenecks that will limit the speed. You can get a PCI-E x4 card to get the full bandwidth of USB 3.0, but those tend to run in the $100 range. This card use the VIA VL800 USB 3.0 controller chip, which is fairly common among cards in this class.

I noticed a lack of before and after comparison in the reviews, so I wanted to include that. I also wanted to benchmark the Anker card vs native on-board USB 3.0. Here is the test setup:

Computer 1

------------------------
Operating System
------------------------
Windows 10 Pro

Please see the attached image for benchmark results. We can make a few observations here:

1. Despite USB 2.0 being an older and very mature technology, Intel's implementation is still much faster than AMD's (older chipset).
2. USB 3.0 is much faster than USB 2.0 in all cases.
3. The Anker card offers nearly the same performance as native USB 3.0, at least with the SSD I'm using.
4. I suspect with a newer and faster SSD (i.e. 500+ MB/s read/write), the difference between the Anker card and native USB 3.0 will be more apparently. However, I did not have one on hand for testing.

I should also note something else interesting - If you are running Windows 10, it will automatically install drivers for the Anker card. However, you may choose to install VIA's drivers downloaded from Anker's website (version 4.90 at the time of writing). There are some performance implications:

- The VIA driver defaults the data transfer mode to BOT mode, which is slower than UASP mode (if your USB storage device supports it). By my measurement, it's up to 30% slower. For a primer on BOT mode vs UASP mode, search for "USB Attached SCSI" on Wikipedia.
- The VIA driver installs a "VIA UASP Config Tool" app in your Start Menu, which you can use turn on UASP mode. But you must use it for ***EACH DEVICE*** the first time you plug it in. Your computer will remember the mode going forward. Why not always default to UASP mode for devices that support it? This tool is also not documented in Anker's manual.
- If you decide to just stick with Microsoft's driver that Windows 10 automatically installs, it will always use UASP mode whenever possible, without needing to mess with any tools or configurations.
- However, Microsoft's driver is about 2-3% slower than VIA's driver in UASP mode. Basically, you trade a little bit of performance for a little bit of convenience.

=========
Conclusion
=========
While the Anker PCI-E USB 3.0 Card is not the fastest (there are PCI-E x4 cards), nor is it the most intuitive (UASP config not documented), its low price and excellent performance offers a lot of bang for not a lot of buck. I would highly recommend this card for anyone looking for an inexpensive solution to add USB 3.0 to their system!
review image
on October 12, 2012
So, I don't usually leave reviews but thought this might be useful to others. I ordered the card this past week, receiving it on Wed 10/10. I could not get the card functioning in Windows 7 64 bit. Device manger saw the card but did not know what it was. The included CD did not appear to have any files on it. (or at least my computer could not read it)

Per another review I tried all the drivers from the VIA website. Whenever I tried to install any of the VIA drivers it could not find any relevant hardware in my machine. I also downloaded the driver from the uSpeed website but that was just the VIA driver as well and had the same issue.

I decided to swap over to my test install of Windows 8. It turns out Windows 8 includes a driver for this card and it worked right away. From the Win8 device manager I was able to see the card identified as "Fresco Logic xHCI FL1100 series".

There is a Fresco website but they sell OEM only and don't provide drivers that I could find. I did a search and found two driver files for the Fresco Logic chip. One, from HP support, did not work for me. The other from softpedia did work. If I do a Google search for "fresco logic usb 3.0 driver" the softpedia link is the 4th result for me. The driver version is 3.5.36. The file is about 6 Megabytes. After loading that driver everything is working great on Win 7 64 bit.

I'm seeing 90MB/s reads and 25MB/s writes to a USB3 stick plugged into this.

Hope this helps a bit!
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2015
Received the card quickly from Amazon and plugged it into an unused PCI-e card slot and was having a problem getting my Dell Optiplex with Windows 7, 64 bit to recognize anything I plugged into the new 3.0 ports. Yes, there was power going to the new card but at best it was very slow to recognize any of my thumb drivers or external multi-card readers I tried to use.

I checked Anker's support site for this device and found that they have upgraded the VIA XHCI driver from V4.20 that was on the small included disc to V4.90 that I downloaded from their site. Once I completed the firmware update to V4.90 everything started working fast and no problems recognizing the new card or anything attached to it.

I am using an external Kingston 3.0 multi-card reader and once it started working correctly it would "fall asleep" about every half hour requiring the device to be plugged in again. Going to Device Manager>Universal Bus Controller>USB Root Hub>Power Management and un-checking "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" solved that issue.

I will attach the Anker sites new driver link in the comments section if you need it.

For a couple of hours I was frustrated with this 3.0 port card and believe that Anker could do a better job in letting new purchasers know that an updated driver is available if your having issues. That is why I gave it a 4 star rating, other than that it's a fast reliable 3.0 USB card.
on March 11, 2016
For those without USB3.0 built into your motherboard's chipset, you have three (3) choices for 3rd party USB3.0 chips: Renesas/NEC, Asmedia, and VIA. I've had poor experiences with Renesas and Asmedia, which is the reason I chose this card (VIA VL805) in the hopes it would be better. Unfortunately its compatibility, performance, and driver quality turned out to be roughly the same as the other two chipmakers, which is to say, not good.

Pros:
- Works with 80-90% of USB3.0 devices
- Auxiliary power is nice, and internal header connected and functioned without issue
- Somewhat inexpensive (compared to gambling at the boat)
- It didn't cause my PC to burst into flames

Cons:
- Rear plate has two tangs which protrude downward and need to be physically straightened (either with a vice or a pair of pliers) in order for the card to sit flush and allow full insertion in the vast majority of systems
- Doesn't work with about 10-20% of USB3.0 devices (Disclosure: small sample size)
- When it does work, speeds are inconsistent and poor (generally falling below 50MB/s with large sustained transfers)
- Driver quality (latest v4.90a, Win7-64) is exceptionally bad -- During card use, my system experienced 100% CPU usage on 1 core (i5 2500k), and an overall slowdown of the storage subsystem

Performance: D- (technically faster than actual USB2.0 speeds, but not by much)
Device Compatibility: D-
Product Design: F (requiring physical modification is unacceptable)
Driver Quality: F
OVERALL VALUE: F

My general impression is that the drivers are likely to blame for the performance problems (note their general negative impact on the whole system), and possibly some of the device incompatibilities as well. In the end, the overall negative impression was such that I decided I didn't fully trust the integrity of any data transferred via this card, and at that point it was of no use to me.

Note: The fact that this card is so highly reviewed makes me want to question every rating on Amazon. Are people really setting the bar that low? Do they not know what it's performance should be, or notice its negative impact on their system? Maybe I should've tried some of the older driver revisions.
on April 16, 2017
Probably not worth the money. This card will run great on newer systems running Windows 10 that already have USB 3.0. If that's you and you just want more ports then it might be a good choice.

Most people who buy this card probably have older systems and want to get the most out of newer USB 3.0 devices. Unfortunately this card probably won't do that for most people. The drivers are difficult to find, badly labeled and poorly optimized. If you have a system that was made before USB 3.0 then your motherboard probably isn't up to the task of handling the data transfer rates promised by USB 3.0. In most cases you'll get the same speeds at USB 2.0. Transferring 5GB or 10GB of files will take about 20 to 30 minutes.

I've tried several drivers from Anker as well as VIA and all give poor results. All provide consistently slow transfers (the highest was 50MBs but 20MBs is average) and some drivers cause system to hang, reboot sporadically or simply fail completely.

Anker usually provides quality products with good support but this is a definite failure. Complete lack of support on a product that really doesn't add anything of value.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2013
Pos: Perfect look, good quality of soldering, works OK. 20-pin cable connector allows me to use my front panel USB3 sockets, not only back ones.
Cons: will not work without manually downloaded 66 Mb driver (why a simple device requires a driver of such size?), the latest driver has to be downloaded from VIA website.
Will not work with Linux - no driver available. Linux support is not advertised though.
I didn't notice any difference in Turbo and regular modes. Next time I will just replace the motherboard.

Update: changed the rating to 4 stars, here is why:

1. Using of USB 3 backup drive with this controller increases the transfer rate by about 110% comparing to USB 2 connection without it, while the birst rate is increaed by about 500%!

2. Compared this controller's operation with operation of the original USB 3 controller, implemented into MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard - Anker's one is a winner, while the transfer rate of USB 3 backup HDD is the same, burst rate is 98.5MB/sec with the original controller and 128.5 MB/sec with Anker's product. Almost 30% difference!
on December 24, 2012
Recently updated my CPU and motherboard. The mobo I installed only came with 4 USB 3.0 ports (2 external & 2 internal). I purchased this card to expand my USB 3.0's. I like that it's powered via molex rather than SATA because I seem to have a lot more spare molex than sata plugs floating around inside the case.

I am somewhat experienced with working inside my computer case - this is my 4th build from scratch. But installing this card was very easy - just plug it in, secure the outside plate with the screw, and plug in molex power connector. The mini-CD that came with the card wasn't readable by my drive, but I went to Anker website and downloaded the newest driver in about 20 seconds.

I'm currently uploading ~1000 RAW images from a Lexar 1000x CF card (taken with D700) and it is significantly faster than it was via USB 2.0.

For the price, this was a good deal for me to double my USB 3.0 ports in my new build.
on April 13, 2017
Got this to add front USB 3.0 to my aging but totally functional desktop. I hated constantly crawling under my desk to get to USB 3.0 ports on the back of my computer every time I had to use it. What's great about this card is that it has on board connector to use with front USB ports on my case. With Windows 10, this thing is just simple plug and play and I didn't have to do any driver installation. Write speed with WD Passport external hard drive connected to front USB 3.0 was about 80~90 mb/sec. Which is about 9~10x faster than USB 2.0 in my experience. Great bang for the buck, didn't have to upgrade my motherboard just for onboard USB 3.0, and simple plug and play. I would highly recommend this product for those wanting to use front USB 3.0 ports.
on April 4, 2017
New life for an aging computer

This gives new life to my 8 year old desktop computer. It works perfectly with the Anker 2-port USB 3.0 3.5" Front Panel Hub. It was easy to install. The two items together added four USB 3.0 ports to my aging desktop and allowed me to get rid of an older USB 2.0 hub that was dangling out of the back of my computer.

Once again Anker comes through with an excellent product. I downloaded the driver from the Anker web site, but I'm not sure I even needed to do that. It seems like Windows 10 found the new device and installed the correct driver on its own.