Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,033 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,070 reviews
on July 25, 2012
I bought this Uspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E card from Amazon in order to have the latest and much faster USB on my existing computers. This is a very cost effective and fairly simple way to increase your USB speeds by a factor of 10 over USB 2.0(if you have USB 3.0 capable devices). If you're transferring large files or cloning disks via USB docks this is the way to go.

PROS: It's less expensive than most similar items and works perfectly when installed correctly. Physical installation is simple and obvious - be sure to insert the card fully into the appropriate slot and then attach one of the Molex 4-pin connectors from your power supply.

CONS: I bought three of these for various household computers (different brands and specs) and none of the driver installation disks worked with any of the computers. The Uspeed website (USPEED.CO) is a frustrating mish-mash of broken links, confusing navigation, and missing drivers.

HELPFUL HINTS: Try installing the driver disk and it may work. If not, you can try navigating into the Device Manager in Windows and tell Windows to try and find the driver (apparently works for some, but didn't work for me). Or you can save yourself some grief and go straight to VIA for the driver. What you want is VIA's xhci (extensible host controller interface) USB 3.0 driver. Currently the driver is named VL810 Superspeed USB Hub Controller Firmware 0.89 - Released July 22, 2011. Don't bother trying the Intel xhci driver, it's easier to find but won't work.

UPDATE: The latest update to the driver is now version 0.95. VIA says that this update "Resolved issue with Intel USB 3.0 Host where devices were occasionally not properly re-enumerated after resuming from S3/S4, warm-boot, or cold boot." (I did not have that issue with version 0.89)

UPDATE II: Please read the comments section attached to this review as another helpful user has turned up some interesting information.

CURRENT VIA URL: (Deleted by Amazon)

WARNING: If you do a Google search for the driver most of your hits are going to be from outfits trying to con you into downloading their proprietary driver-update software. Don't do it, your computer will end up slow and cluttered with spam. Get the driver directly from VIA.

UPDATE III: Again, please read the comments section. Many users have been very helpful with reporting their experiences, tips, & tricks.
3838 comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2015
Received the card quickly from Amazon and plugged it into an unused PCI-e card slot and was having a problem getting my Dell Optiplex with Windows 7, 64 bit to recognize anything I plugged into the new 3.0 ports. Yes, there was power going to the new card but at best it was very slow to recognize any of my thumb drivers or external multi-card readers I tried to use.

I checked Anker's support site for this device and found that they have upgraded the VIA XHCI driver from V4.20 that was on the small included disc to V4.90 that I downloaded from their site. Once I completed the firmware update to V4.90 everything started working fast and no problems recognizing the new card or anything attached to it.

I am using an external Kingston 3.0 multi-card reader and once it started working correctly it would "fall asleep" about every half hour requiring the device to be plugged in again. Going to Device Manager>Universal Bus Controller>USB Root Hub>Power Management and un-checking "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" solved that issue.

I will attach the Anker sites new driver link in the comments section if you need it.

For a couple of hours I was frustrated with this 3.0 port card and believe that Anker could do a better job in letting new purchasers know that an updated driver is available if your having issues. That is why I gave it a 4 star rating, other than that it's a fast reliable 3.0 USB card.
on August 12, 2017
Update 2: after about an hour and a half of testing, I traced the problem to the usb 3.0 ports on my case. The internal header does in fact work! As for the boot problem, I think my pc was lagging during boot because I kept reseating the card. It hasn't happened for several boots now, but I'll update my review again if it persists.

I will note that, at least in my pcs, the bracket isn't a perfect fit. The pc that I'm using the card is an asus p8h61-m, installed in a modified micro-atx case from a 2003 hp pavillion (I'm reusing it to build myself a custom mid/low end pc for day to day browsing and such; It's replacing a 2012 hp pavilion, which I'll be using in another room). Anyway, in the 2003 micro-atx case, the bracket is a bit too long, so I made a spacer using some hard plastic that I had lying around. My other pc is an asus maximus ix hero in a corsair carbide case, which I used to test the card. In my carbide/hero, the bracket would not slide in past the heat spreader on the board, due to the raised lips on the sides of the bracket (I broke of a portion of the lips using a pair of pliers in order to test the card with my hero). I don't know if the bracket issue would be a common issue or something that will only cause problems for a few people, but it's worth mentioning.

The homegroup thing is most likely an unrelated windows bug.

Anker did contact me via email to see if I was having any problems, and they responded to my reply within a reasonable time frame. I initially sent them the details about my issue, and they replied asking for more information about my specs. I discovered the issue before sending them the information, but I appreciate that they're available for customers who have problems with their products.

Original review and update below:

The 19 pin internal header (the reason that I bought this) doesn't work. The rear ports do work, but now I've got two dead usb ports on my front panel, meaning that I either have to replace those ports with usb 2.0 ports, or buy another pcie usb 3.0 card, and "hope" the next one works properly. This product has wasted both my money and my time.

update: Had to remove because it caused my pc to fail to boot, and may have also somehow permenantly broken homegroup settings.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2017
Probably not worth the money. This card will run great on newer systems running Windows 10 that already have USB 3.0. If that's you and you just want more ports then it might be a good choice.

Most people who buy this card probably have older systems and want to get the most out of newer USB 3.0 devices. Unfortunately this card probably won't do that for most people. The drivers are difficult to find, badly labeled and poorly optimized. If you have a system that was made before USB 3.0 then your motherboard probably isn't up to the task of handling the data transfer rates promised by USB 3.0. In most cases you'll get the same speeds at USB 2.0. Transferring 5GB or 10GB of files will take about 20 to 30 minutes.

I've tried several drivers from Anker as well as VIA and all give poor results. All provide consistently slow transfers (the highest was 50MBs but 20MBs is average) and some drivers cause system to hang, reboot sporadically or simply fail completely.

Anker usually provides quality products with good support but this is a definite failure. Complete lack of support on a product that really doesn't add anything of value.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
So far so good!
I needed to add USB 3.0 ports to a work PC that didn't have any and a motherboard that was old enough it didn't support them or have any headers etc. for them. I needed something reliable, affordable and easy to install. So far it looks like I picked a winner!

PROS:
+ Easy to install
+ Affordable
+ 18 Month Warranty and Free Tech Support for Life
+ The 2 port version has a 20 pin connector which will allow you to add a front panel 2 port USB 3.0 hub to add USB 3.o ports to the front of your computer case.
+ Backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices
+ A great affordable way to add USB 3.0 ports to an old PC
+ The black bracket looks cool!

CONS:
- This card can only support full USB 3.0 speeds if you're only using 1 of the ports. These cheaper cards basically split the USB 3.0 speed up between the 2 or 4 ports. If you've got two USB 3.0 devices hooked up they'll be slower than one by itself. Also if you hook one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 device up to the card at the same time, the entire card and all devices plugged into its ports will slow down to USB 2.0 speeds.

- The way this card installs in my case means the USB 3.0 labels above the port are upside down on my PC. A minor annoyance at best.

TIP: Skimming through the reviews and questions there seems to be some confusion on this. This device adds USB 3.0 ports and functionality to a computer that doesn't have them or (possibly that needs more 3.0 ports). This will add them to the rear of the PC. If you want USB 3.0 ports on the front panel of your computer you'll need to buy a USB 3.0 front panel that connects with a wire/cable TO this part. I believe this card will support another 2 USB 3.0 ports so THIS front panel hub is a great affordable choice if you want to add some USB 3.0 ports to the front of your PC. If you plan on adding USB ports to the front of your PC via a USB 3.0 front panel hub now or later. . . make sure you get the 2 port Anker from this listing which has the 20 pin connector you'll need to do so.

Overall I'm really enjoying this device and the USB 3.0 speeds it provides for my USB 3.0 External hard drives!

Installation:
Installation of this USB 3.0 2 Port card was incredibly easy for me on Windows 8.1 Pro. If you've ever installed a graphics card or any PCI Express device this is no different. While powered off, you simply open your computer case. It's always a good idea to touch the metal case of your computer or something else metal that's touching the ground to discharge any static electricity in your body. Next locate an available slot and remove any screws, covers or trimp plates that may be covering the opening at the rear of computer where this card will install. Next simply plug in this USB 3.0 2 port card secure it with a mounting screw and then connect an available molex 4 pin power plug from your computer's power supply You can then close up your case and power up your computer. Next you'll want to install drivers. A disc with driver files was provided with this item but I typically skip the files on the disc which are often out of date and head straight to the manufacturers website to download the most up to date drivers. Install the drivers (you may need to reboot your PC afterwards) and enjoy your new card!
on August 19, 2017
Very happy with this little board. Selected Anker for good experience with several other Anker products. Doubled the speed of data transfers to external USB hard drive to over 100MB/s. But it needs an old style 4-pin internal power connection which is no longer common with advent of SATA connectors. Luckily I had an old connector and spliced it onto a nearby SATA power connector. A lot of people won't be able to do this so check first. I haven't looked to see if there is an SATA version of this product. But another issue will be length of cable needed. Check this power requirement before you buy.
on April 7, 2017
UPDATED (07/13/2017)
It worked well on my old Asus P5NSLI Windows XP PC...
and it works well on my new ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 & AMD FX 9590 4.7GHz 8 core CPU
since I moved it from the old machine...

I get excellent transfer rates with my 1TB USB 3.0 WD Passport Ultra! :D
BUT with my smaller Sandisk Ultra Fit 32Gb USB 3.0 flash-drive even though it says up to 130MB/sec
I will often while connected to this VIA based USB 3.0 adapter, crappy transfer rates between
500KB/sec up to 30MB/sec its seems to intermittently fluctuate.. XD

and I have the VIA's Turbo transfer rate functionality enabled!.... :/
on December 28, 2013
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding the driver(s) for this card.

I am using an Asus P6T7ws mobo with an i7 950 3.07Ghz CPU and 16GB of RAM. This board definitely has PCIe 2.0 (2nd gen) slots. I have two Highpoint cards installed (RAID 4320SAS and multiport 640L). I also have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 video card. Those are the only PCIe cards installed.

The most current driver on the Anker site is in a self-extracting packet called VIA_XHCI_Driver_V4.30A_AP.exe. It was created 11-11-13. I'm not thrilled about it being an .exe and not just a folder with the driver in it. The driver version is v4.30A.

UPDATE: Card works but I am running into major issues with shutdown hanging. When I remove the card there is no issue; the machine shuts down fine. This driver (4.30A) is NOT a stable driver, at least not for Win 7 64-bit. Hoping I can find an older driver that will allow the card/system to function properly or I will be returning the card.

UPDATE: Downloading a newer driver (4.00b) from the VIA site --experiencing the CRAZY SLOW download times people have mentioned: nearly 2 hours for a 66MB file over a connection that currently shows a down speed of 60Mbps.

One of the more frustrating things I'm running into is constantly seeing this message in VIA literature: "Please update your VIA XHCI host controller PCIe Card with latest version of firmware which can support UASP before install this driver" [sic] but being unable to find ANY information on updating the card's firmware! The processor on this card reads VIA800-Q8. The VIA site shows firmware updates only for 811 and 810 (not 800/801, 806, 807). Should I assume this means the 800/801 does not need to be updated?

FWIW, I have tried several times to update the drivers using the included disk. "Updating?" from the 4.30a driver I previously downloaded always causes the computer to hang (necessitating a forced reboot). I assume whatever is packed inside the files on the CD ROM (I can't determine a driver version from the disk contents) is newer than 4.03a, or windows wouldn't want to install it as "newer."

I have now removed the VIA install software via Windows 7 control panel, and am waiting for the 4.00B driver download to complete from the VIA site (holy cow it's slow!!!).

UPDATE: I thought the new 4.00B driver install was going to be the fix, but I am running into the same "hang on shut down" problem as I saw with 4.03a. The card functions fine, but I cannot shut down my machine (system hangs on shut down with card plugged in). I will likely be returning this card, as I can't shut down my computer with the card installed.

Note: the install includes a little program that allows you to run "normal" or "turbo." Using HD Tach and a 16GB USB3.0 Transcend thumb drive, I saw speeds of 76MB/s in normal mode and just under 77MB/s in "turbo" mode. Obviously, there is not enough increase in speed to justify this annoying little piece of bloatware. [UPDATE (1-3-15)] Plenty of other reviews I've read here on Amazon and also just blog reviews confirm that the software is not worth installing (at all --in fact, it often just causes problems).

UPDATE (1-3-15): After nearly a year, I contacted Anker and they STILL honored their offer to replace my card and even pay shipping both ways (they actually sent the replacement before I sent the return). Kudos to Anker for their stellar customer service. They let me know the two port card was out of stock and sent me the four port card instead (so I didn't have to wait for the two port to be back in stock). I am updating my star review to reflect the outstanding customer service, though the card itself (as a piece of hardware that does not work with my computer) still receives only two stars.

The unfortunate news is that even though I am using the latest drivers (VIA_XHCI_Driver_V4.70C_AP), etc., this card will STILL not work with my machine. The same problem persists as with the original card: the usb ports work fine and exhibit USB3.0 speeds, but upon shutting down my windows machine, the computer hangs, and now often Blue Screens with a driver error. I'm wondering if this card is simply incompatible with my MOBO (Gigabyte P6T7 WS SC), as I have tried removing everything other piece of hardware to try and find conflicts. At this point, I've spent waaaaaay too much time diagnosing the problem (removing hard ware, finding drivers, using multiple versions of drivers, etc.), so I guess I'll just have to find a different card. I know it's also time to upgrade the MOBO, but the whole point of purchasing a USB 3.0 card is to be able to get 3.0 USB ports (via PCI-e) on a board with only USB 2.0 ports.

p.s. My original two port card did NOT come with a SATA power to 4-pin MOLEX adapter, and it made getting power to the card a serious PitA (most newer power supplies don't even bother providing 4-pin molex any more, and if they do, there are minimal connections). The four port Anker card came with a simple SATA power to 4-pin MOLEX adapter, which was nice.
on September 21, 2013
Pos: Perfect look, good quality of soldering, works OK. 20-pin cable connector allows me to use my front panel USB3 sockets, not only back ones.
Cons: will not work without manually downloaded 66 Mb driver (why a simple device requires a driver of such size?), the latest driver has to be downloaded from VIA website.
Will not work with Linux - no driver available. Linux support is not advertised though.
I didn't notice any difference in Turbo and regular modes. Next time I will just replace the motherboard.

Update: changed the rating to 4 stars, here is why:

1. Using of USB 3 backup drive with this controller increases the transfer rate by about 110% comparing to USB 2 connection without it, while the birst rate is increaed by about 500%!

2. Compared this controller's operation with operation of the original USB 3 controller, implemented into MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard - Anker's one is a winner, while the transfer rate of USB 3 backup HDD is the same, burst rate is 98.5MB/sec with the original controller and 128.5 MB/sec with Anker's product. Almost 30% difference!
on April 13, 2017
Got this to add front USB 3.0 to my aging but totally functional desktop. I hated constantly crawling under my desk to get to USB 3.0 ports on the back of my computer every time I had to use it. What's great about this card is that it has on board connector to use with front USB ports on my case. With Windows 10, this thing is just simple plug and play and I didn't have to do any driver installation. Write speed with WD Passport external hard drive connected to front USB 3.0 was about 80~90 mb/sec. Which is about 9~10x faster than USB 2.0 in my experience. Great bang for the buck, didn't have to upgrade my motherboard just for onboard USB 3.0, and simple plug and play. I would highly recommend this product for those wanting to use front USB 3.0 ports.