Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Style: 3 Button Mic|Color: Black, Grey|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 504 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 581 reviews
on February 21, 2013
These headphones sort of break my heart. On the one hand you have one of the finest built, best sounding on-ear headphones at this price point. On the other hand, though, they might also be some of the most uncomfortable headphones you will ever put on your head. Let me go into a bit more detail.

SOUND:
Let it be said that these are easily some of my favorite sounding on-ear headphones in this price bracket. They sound absolutely great and a lot more neutral than I assumed they would.

Highs are wonderfully detailed, but not overly bright (no Grado shrill, here). Don't get me wrong, cymbals and hi-hats will still ring accurately, but it's never going to sound harsh or over-pronounced. Just nice and clear and perfectly balanced.

Mids are where it's at with these headphones, as far as I'm concerned. It's got the clarity of much more expensive headphones, with a nice, smooth, buttery finish. Coupled with the clear highs, vocals in these headphones sound absolutely stellar.

Lows, in keeping with this sets more "neutral" leanings, are also very balanced, though if I had to find one fault with the sound it would be that at times they can be a smidge unrefined. I wouldn't go so far as to call it muddy, but it's not as tight and focused as the mids or highs. It's also not necessarily for bassheads, though I have to say that it adapts very well to a variety of different musical genres. If the bass is meant to stand out in a song, then it's going to stand out through these headphones. Basically, lows are about as prominent as the given source intends it to be, which for most people is absolutely great, but for bassheads, not so much.

Sound stage and imaging is about on par with other on-ear headphones in this price range. These being sealed, you're obviously not going to get that wide-open feeling you get from open-backs, but it does well enough for what it is.

Sound leakage is very minimal even at considerable volumes and isolation is about the best I have ever heard from on-ear headphones...if you can get a good seal on the ear (but more on that in a second).

BUILD QUALITY/FEATURES:
This is another area in which this set shines. These things were built to last. The headband is made of a highly flexible, durable material that let's you bend the shape to fit your head. It's also ridiculously tough. You can bend it nearly flat with absolutely no harm done. Clothwork and stitching is also top-notch.

The cups themselves are high-quality molded plastic with metal accent plates affixed to the outside. These plates can be removed and replaced for a bit of personalization, but to tell the truth, the brushed-metal black plates that come stock already look pretty great. The pads are covered in a high-quality faux-leather that actually feels surprisingly convincing, and the pads themselves feel great (theoretically, I guess).

The two detachable cords included (a one-touch mic cord for used with android/general purpose devices, and a three-touch cord for use with iOS devices) are covered in a nice kevlar coat that, aside from keeping things very durable, actually does a nice job of preventing tangles as well. The only problem I had with the kevlar is that it can get a bit noisy rubbing up against things while you have the headphones on. Nothing too distracting, and nowhere near as annoying as the "stethoscope" effect you get from lower-end iem's, but still worth mentioning, I think.

COMFORT:
Well, here it is. The one area that really breaks my heart with these things. Full disclosure here, I have a couple of buddies that own these headphones that have minimal to no problem with the fit of them, but as far as my (apparently mishapen) head is concerned, these are some of the most uncomfortable headphones I have felt outside of a stock set of Grado's.

The cups simply don't get a good seal on my head 90% of the time. I can never seem to get the angle just right when I'm beding them, and often times one ear would end up getting a much better seal than the other. What's worse is that, given the material of the headband, they tend to slowly bend back into their original shape over time, meaning not only does the headband start to put pressure on my head, but the cups slowly lose their seal and become increasingly uncomfortable. I get about thirty minutes of use out of them before I have to take a break to let my ears rest and readjust the band.

It's sad too, because the pads themselves feel great, almost like a mushy memory foam, but there's just something about these headphones that makes them completely incompatible with my head.

CONCLUSION:
I don't want this review to scare people. I hope the content is more important to people than the score, because like I said, I have a couple of friends who are head over heels in love with these things. I would be too if it weren't for the comfort issues, because they're truly a great sounding pair of headphones for the price you pay...and it doesn't hurt that they'll probably last a couple of human lifetimes, so maybe your future children/grandchildren will love them too.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2014
Bought these headphones as part of Amazon's Deal of the Day; price:$79.95! I'm a Prime member and received them the next day. Fast shipping is great! Upon opening the box of headphones, I could tell these were high quality. They came inside of an extra sturdy box that contained 1) headphones, 2) carrying case, 3) kevlar coated audio cord with 3.5 mm plugs (standard), and for a clip for attaching the carrying case to your backpack.

The headphones themselves were built like a tank, very sturdy, well made, and high quality, there was nothing flimsy about them at all. I can see why these come with such a great warranty. I immediately took off all the protective film from the ear pieces, plugged in the audio cord into my tablet, and then fired up some songs. Their sound was superb, much better than I had expected. The highs, mid-range, and lows were all there, with distinct separation. I took out my old BOSE OE headphones to compare them. To my surprise, I prefered the V-MODA M-80 headphones over my old BOSE headphones, the new ones just sounded so much better.

Some reviewers mentioned that these were a relatively tight fit, especially for those with large heads. Well there see plenty of settings in which to expand these, you just pull the headphones pieces down and out. Do that on both sides and this will fit very big heads. Where I found them a bit uncomfortable was that they seemed to put too much pressure on my ears. That was because the headphone "arch" was not yet that flexible. I'm certain that over time, the arch will loosen up, and then these will fit perfectly. All in all, these are a great pair of headphones for the price. So what if they're last year's model, they look and (most importantly) sound great. That's what you want, right?
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2012
First, the good news. These are a very appealing design aesthetically, have impeccable build quality, and an excellent warranty. More significantly, this extremely slick and attractive product also sounds very good, and does not take the usual thumpity-thump extreme bass distortion that is so typical to mainstream consumer headphone designs, especially the ones targeted towards the young and hip. VModa has designed a credible product that stands out in crowded field of mediocre headphones that look good and sound ordinary or worse.

That said, there are a few issues buyers need to be aware of. The immensely positive reviews these phones have received on Amazon and places like Inner Fidelity and Head Fi seem to have ignored some key concerns which I will voice to fully inform potential buyers.

First, if your hat size is L, these will barely fit. If your hat size is XL, forget it, these will not fit at all. On headphones like the Sony V6 and Shure 440, my reasonably sized head needs 6 of 10 ratchets. On the M80s, 10 of 10 fits with a bit of struggle. Those with a bigger head than mine need not bother. Yes, you could bend the headband in hopes of getting them to fit your oversized noggin, but why would you want to do this? The Phiaton MS400 and Sennheiser HD 25 are roughly the same size and can accommodate heads of all sizes pretty handily. VModa for some odd reason assumes their users are all well on the average side of cranium size.

Second, the pad that goes on your ear is too small. Again, my ears are not that huge and the HD25 covers up the whole ear nicely, but the M80 needs to be precisely centered to sound good, and then sometimes it moves a bit and needs to be re-centered. Annoying, and unnecessary. If the cups were 10 or 15% bigger, there would be no issue here.

So any other issues for those who have heads and ears that the M80s fit well? Yes, a few. First, in the only truly bad design element seen in the phones, the plug that goes into the left headphone cup needs to be removed before you store the headphones in the hard case. The bottom of the headphone does not have enough clearance for the straight connector on the plug to fit in the case still attached. Otherwise you have to bend the cable at a really sharp angle that looks like it will lead to early cable failure. The cable is high quality and sturdy, but even an excellent stress relief bend is not meant to be kept at close to a 90 degree angle for the long periods of time when the phones are sitting in the case. So this means if you take these on the bus, you first will have to take them out of the case and then connect the cable to the phones before connecting them to your device. Minor, but irritating for a set of phones supposedly designed for mainly mobile use.

All minor issues so far. But now we come to the Big Three Problems.

Problem One: The sound profile - too much accent in the mids! Bass is excellent, well controlled yet resonant when needed, quick response. The equal of the HD25, which is tough to do. Excellent for rock and metal, decent bass extension for other genres. The treble is rolled off a bit, lacks some detail at the higher end, but no real problems as many find truly accurate treble to be fatiguing. The real problem (for some music) is that the mids are boosted too much. Listening to rock where you have a mix of quiet instrumentation and vocals (e.g. The National, Lost in the Trees) the singers sound artificially forward and overwhelm the music. Listening to "Fake Empire" from Boxer on the M80 and then comparing it to the HD25s makes the piece sound like 2 completely different songs, with the M80 version sounding unnatural and unpleasant.

For other types of music where vocals are equally mixed with loud instruments (e.g. Lamb of God) there is no problem and for non-vocal or non-amplified music (jazz and classical) this is also not an issue. Most modern popular music uses studio miking where everything is mixed as coming from the center while jazz and classical recording is more positional (e.g. the drums are on the right, the bass is on the left), so I think that may explain this. This may or may not be a problem for individual users. Metal and electronica sounds really fine (probably rap and pop too though I didn't test those types), classical and jazz are decent, but less energetic vocal oriented rock (alternative) may end up sounding weird. In any case, the boosted mids mean these phones are not very accurate, which may offend audiophiles.

Problem Two: Strong competition at the price point. For roughly half the price of the M80s, the AudioTechnica M50, Sony ZX700s. and Shure 440s will thoroughly trounce the M80s. Bass is as good or better, treble handling is more accurate, and the mids are more natural sounding yet also enjoyable. If you want good sound cheaply, any of those options are superior. They are all somewhat larger phones though, none of them are quite as portable as the VModas (though the M50 does at least fold up, something that the M80s rather surprisingly cannot do), none of them look as nice, and all of them are made mainly of plastic (though very durable and good quality plastic).

If you want something more portable, the Senn HD25s and Phiaton MS400s are in the same price range and size configuration as the M80 and so are more of a direct challenge to it. Both headphones sound as good or better than the M80s, especially the MS400s which have a bit of a mid-bass boost that M80 users will like, though without also having the weird artificial over boosted mids that the Vmodas have. The HD25, though being both accurate and fun in its sound, looks drab and cheap compared to the VModas, but the MS400 is just as sexy as the M80s, sounds better, is more portable because it folds, and fits more ears and heads. It sells for less than 10% more (at time of writing) but the main issue is that the build quality is less impressive (my MS400s are a few years old and still holding up well, but they seem delicate and have a few creaks when they are flexed). Phiaton's warranty is also only half of VModas (one year instead of two), and there is no lifetime 50% off replacement deal.

So big heads and ears need not apply. Getting the M80 unpacked from its travel case and set up takes an extra few seconds. Some music genres don't work out too well with the M80s. There are cheaper or comparably priced competitors that sound better, though none that offer the added aesthetics and build quality of the VModa. Still a contender? Sure, except for...

Problem Three: No Isolation. The M80s have a little port on the back of the driver encasement. This helps them to have a nice airy soundstage, much better than the HD25s or MS400. Well and good. This means others right next to you can hear what you're listening to, though not too much. But this also means you get a lot of sound leakage coming into your music from the environment. If you listen to anything but constantly loud music (metal, some electronic) the quieter moments in your music will let in far too much external noise, even with your Iphone at 75% volume. These phones are utterly hopeless on the NYC subways for most music. Even if you don't ride mass transit, the music in a Starbucks café was getting in the way of jazz and classical and could even be occasionally heard during a Muse album, which has pretty few quiet spots. The subway is a bit of a bridge too far for everything except canal phones, but Starbucks?

Basically if you listen to any music with peaks and dips in sound level, you can only listen to the M80s at home (assuming your place is nice and quiet - in my house, the air conditioning was overpowering the sound at some points!). What is the real point of small portable headphones with awful isolation? If portability is not an issue (i.e. you are at home) why not use full size headphones that are cheaper and sound better? I guess you could use these if you were hiking in a quiet natural setting, or were in the library. Or you could listen to metal all the time and leave the volume cranked, which may have other consequences for the long term... The HD25 isolates much much better, sounds better, and costs the same. It just doesn't look as nice.

So to conclude, I wanted to like these headphones more than I did. The aesthetics and build quality of the design are impressive, and its obvious VModa is trying to give Joe Public headphones that do sound decent. The boosted mids are defensible as they make some types of music sound really good, but the poor isolation in a purported portable headphone is the main issue for me.

Sound Quality is 3 and a half stars. Build Quality and Appearance are each 5 stars. Isolation is 2 stars. I'm rounding down to three stars because the isolation problem does not reconcile well with the VModas main raison d'etre which is portability. Because these are supposed to be portable, the cups are small, the frame is small, the cord needs to be removed when carried etc, all of which cause other issues for the user. Without good isolation, these deficiencies are all exacerbated. Three stars for me. If you like metal, add a star or two.

I hope VModa will go back to the design boards and produce the M80 Mk II; ideally, it would be somewhat larger, would have a slightly more naturally tuned driver, and would get rid of the sound ports and otherwise improve isolation. The M80 Mk I is great in many ways, and comes close to being top of its class.

Testing Methods: 20-30 hours of listening to Ipad and Touch Ipod, no amp used, including about 5 hours of A/B comparisons with other phones. Music Sampled: Rock - Muse, Lost in the Trees, The National // Metal - Lamb of God, Agalloch, Opeth // Electronic - Massive Attack (Mezzanine), Lamb, Portishead // Jazz - Kind Of Blue (Davis), Bill Evans Trio, Maiden Voyage (Hancock) // Classical - Bernstein's Mahler (DG), St Saens Organ Symphony, Brahms Symphonies.
3636 comments| 542 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
Want to say first that I'm not a musician or DJ so this won't be a technical bass treble equalizer blah blah blah type of comment bc they go over my head and get there fast. What I DO know is that my doc told me I'm technically deaf bc I can't hear certain high and low sounds. With these phones on, it doesn't seem like I have a hearing problem at all. Sounds are beautiful crisp and sharp whether out of my tablet, a phone call, DVR and even streaming unless the service is bad.... not headphones but my ISP. If I watch a race, I feel like I'm right there. Sound is perfect! I even bought the shields once I had them a few weeks. Of course I did a custom design and had a question. Was answered and they replied back not only with what I wanted to know but also suggested I reverse my design so it could be seen better. I believe his name was Eric? Super helpful guy whomever he was and he was right about that suggestion. It looks much better! You will not be sorry you bought these. I've had them about 6 mos and use them every single day just about the entire day long, well over 8hrs. So mine get alot of use and look just as new as the day I bought them. You will not be sorry with your purchase and go on and spring for those shields too. Just so you can be different from everyone else with your own design too ;)
on September 16, 2014
My co-worker has the M-100's, and I needed something less expensive and more balanced. The sound is very clear. I can hear sound from music I've listened to before that couldn't be heard before. They are very durable and feel like a high-end product. They are very comfortable, I can leave them on my ears for 6 hours, you barely feel them after a while because the cushions are so soft.

The nosie isolation is quite good, I always have to take them off if somebody is talking to me. It's not noise-cancelling, but it sure does block a lot of outside noise. I feel like I struck gold when I found this model for $100, when other variants are $200-300.

These are more comfortable and better sounding than the AKG NC945 which cost a lot more. They are definately much better than my 50 cent street headphones, those are garbage. Although the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones are probably the best you could buy I have two problems with it: The price, and the cheap plastic. Otherwise I would have saved up for those, but Im very pleased with these.
on November 5, 2014
These are amazing!! Best quality headphones I've ever had. The packaging extremely nice and the quality of the headphones is Top Notch! I've had them for a week now and super impressed with sound quality and comfort. Now with the Fitness/comfort - I extend them to the longest length and wear them with a baseball cap on with no fitment issues and very comfy. While at work I use them during day very comfortable for long use. Always use with my Android LG G3 phone and the one button wire works perfect also using for phone calls no issues at all. The case I use and comes in handy, I strapped it to my camera bag with no worries. Then I went to there website and notice you can get custom headphone plates that cover the earpiece, I ordered custom ones and maybe 2-3 days later they arrived and I could not be happier!! Oh the cable is covered with a cloth or threaded material not sure how to describe it but it is very strong and some may say a little stiff but I'd rather that then a thin plastic/rubber cable.

Did a lot of research on headphone and coming from skullcandy's I'm glad I tried V-Moda very surprised how good these are. Did not want Beats or Monsters seems like thats all anyone recommends or compares.
review image
on November 3, 2014
I listen to my iPod quite a bit. Mostly audio books, or music while I work around the house or yard, or at the gym. I am used to wearing 'in-the-ear style buds that are noise isolating, because I've often found on-ear style, like the Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones can magnify ambient noise - like cupping your hand around your ear.

I think the sound on these is exceptionally good. And I was impressed by the noise isolating ability of the foam around the ear. They are comfortable to a point. But after perhaps an hour or more, I start to become very aware of wearing them. Another half hour and they start to hurt - pressing in on my ears. Maybe it's a sign that I've just been listening for too long.

They come with a very nice, if somewhat bulky case - which I find I don't really use. Too much trouble to remove the cord and pack it up, just to leave it sitting on a counter. Maybe if I were traveling, it'd be worthwhile.

They have a limited in-line remote, which is handy to turn them off if someone wants to speak to me. There's a microphone as well, which I have not had occasion to use, since I generally use them only with the iPod, and not the phone.

The phones feel well made. I'm hoping they'll last a long time!
on December 12, 2014
Vmoda makes great headsets. Fantastic. But this set was just too small for my fat head.
on April 13, 2014
These are a nice set of sounding headphones. It has a slightly warm sound to it but not overly bassy. Almost neutral sounding except for the highest frequencies which are rolled off. But it's not a lean, analytical sound. It's quite musical. The headphones have a solid build to it and feel and look like they can take some abuse. These don't sound quite as good as the Sennheiser Momentum over ear model as the V-Moda sounds a little bit more congested in comparison. But then again I'd pick the V-Modas for use outside the home because of their build. The clamping pressure is moderate, not as soft as Beats Solos but not uncomfortable. The ear pads are comfortable but being an on-ear model, it won't be quite as comfortable as an over-ear model. The accessories that come with the headphones are great too. Isolation from external noises is about average. All in all just a nice portable, on-ear phone that you don't mind taking out of the house. The customizable ear shields are a fun bonus that I'm looking into.
on December 4, 2012
After much research, I decided to purchase new headphones. I had been looking for good headphones for about 6 months, until I finally decided to purchase the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. At first I was more inclined to in-ear headphones, particularly Klipsch S4s or Bose IE2. Then, I started law school and saw several classmates wearing Beats Solo and Beats Studios, apart from all the kids on the street. I started researching on which headphones I should get since I mostly listen to Rock and Jazz music. I was amazed about all the info I found. I started freaking out when I saw headphones on the 500$ area and I started to determine a budget. On or around $150.00 was the sweet spot. I was going to wait until Black Friday to see if I could get the Beats Solo, but after reading several reviews I started realizing what everyone was saying. Beats Solos are for bass enthusiasts, which is not bad, but I particularly wanted a rounder more sophisticated sound that didn't overwhelm the guitars on my rock tracks. I also wanted something that would make the mids sound good on my jazz tracks. I wanted something to help me study, not give me a headache.

I'm kind of new to the whole audiophile experience, so don't be quick to judge. I first came across V-Modas while window shopping at the mall. They were displayed at the Microsoft Store right next to the Beats. The price, of course, was the MSRP. So I went home and researched more to see what they were about. I logged into review sites like CNET, Engadget, etc. It wasn't until I reached Head-Fi.org that I was convinced.

The reviews there were very helpful, describing the aspects that I was particularly interested in. I also liked the comments posted by the CEO of V-Moda, Van Kolton. Finally, I decided to read the reviews here. I must say, I was debating between buying the Crossfade LPs, LP2 or the M-80. Black Friday weekend came around and the LPs dropped to an unbelievable 80$. However, I wasn't sure if I wanted so much bass in my headphones. After much debating and looking at my wallet and my needs, I decided to get the M-80s.

When I got them in the mail, first thing I did was open them and plug 'em to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2). I have a couple of songs in there, especially a couple of albums on FLAC. I am amazed. My 30$ Skullcandy headphones are worth nothing to me right now. I am hearing things I've never heard before with these headphones. The sound is more sophisticated. A rounder bass that doesn't overpowers the rest of the instruments. But sound isn't everything. These things are very well made. They look much stronger than my dad's Bose QC3, and I paid half of that here in Amazon. The headphones are also a visual wonder. They loko very stylish. The case is very sturdy too. You can toss it around and put stuff on top of it (books), without having to worry that the heaphones could get squished. One thing that particularly called my attention was the warranty that V-Moda is offering on these babies.

I also recommend that you buy them directly from Amazon or V-Moda and not a reseller/ebay. Apparently there are a lot of fakes out there and V-Moda won't honor the warranty. You should check out V-Moda's website for more details about this. If you have any questions, drop me a reply so I can elaborate on the matter. I must confess I still haven't burnt them in. Hopefully I'll get more out of them in a couple of days.

Edit: Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent portable AMP? Something in the $50-$100 area?