Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Size: 24-Inch|Style: HDMI, DVI, VGA|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,732 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,903 reviews
on December 6, 2012
This is the third monitor I have used with my new computer, which was purchased in late November, 2012. I confess, that at best, I'm a simple man and not a techie, so I wanted a good monitor for my simple means. I use Photoshop, read and create a lot of documents, play some games, and watch YouTube, as well as the occasional DVD on this computer. For these uses, this monitor ranks far above what I really need, but at least by having this now, I have some room to grow with as my needs change. Granted, I don't know enough to be as nit picky as some people are, but I can attest to this, based on the other two monitors I tested, this has so far proved to be a solid, superior monitor.

PROS:
It has a 2ms response time. This pretty much eliminates blur on fast action videos and games. BUT, you need to have a fast graphics card as well for fast response time.

The screen is matte / non-glare. This was crucial for my needs.

My eyesight isn't all that great even with my glasses, but I can say that this monitor is very crisp and clear. I no longer have to hunch forward to read fuzzy lettering.

It has various inputs, VGA, DVI, HDMI, so this will work with older computers, as well as the newest ones.

There is an option for the monitor's photo sensor to recognize the light of the room, and adjust itself accordingly. Note: This option has to be selected in the menu.

This monitor allows for Picture In Picture. I don't have a use for it, but some of you may desire this feature.

The cords can be routed through the arm of the base which will make everything look more tidy.

It has a VESA mount, so if you want to attach an upgraded monitor stand or wall mount, you can.

It arrived in perfect condition. No dead pixels, no scratches, no worries.

IT HAS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY! This was a high sell point for me.

CONS:
The menu for adjusting the screen is less than helpful, but some trial and error will eventually get you to change the settings if you need to. Personally, I just had to turn down the brightness, and that was good enough for me.

It does NOT come with a manual or an installation CD. Sometimes the CD will include the manual, but again, you don't even get the disc. However, you can download the manual from their website. After doing so, the only useful thing I got out of that was learning how to navigate through the menu buttons.

MY BOTTOM LINE: In my humble opinion, I have to say that this monitor is of superb quality to the average / above average consumer. As I said before, this was the third monitor for my computer, and it would seem that 3rd time was the charm.

Thank you for reading this review, and I hope it was of help to you. If so, please click the "YES" tab so that Amazon and I will know that at least I did something which was of use to someone else. And if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask me. I don't know much, but what I do know I'll be happy to share with others.
22 comments| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2010
I've been shopping around for a new monitor for quite some time. I always do my research before making a purchase, and it was no different with this monitor.

Having been a past ASUS component owner who is impressed with the quality and innovation in their products, I ended up searching around for quite a while only to come back to them.

I started out with quite a list of features I was looking for in a monitor, and I wasn't sure I could find any monitor that could satisfy the list of essential features. But then I found the VE278Q.

The monitor has everything I wanted in a top of the line monitor, and it delivers in every way exceptionally well. I'll do a pros and cons list first, then round this out with more info:

PROS:
+Excellent color quality - very rich and accurate color when calibrated.
+Super fast - no ghosting.
+Even lighting - no backlight bleeding.
+Wide range of input options, and audio options.
+Very bright, instant on with no warm up time, and outstanding contrast.
+Solid range of adjustments, video modes, and display capabilities.
+Anti-glare coating removes nearly all glare.
+Price is low for such quality monitor.
+No dead pixels.
+Very good max viewing angles with minimal color distortion
+Decent internal speakers that don't waste visible space if you don't need them.

CONS:
-I can't really think of any

RATING:
VALUE: 10
FEATURES: 10
SETTINGS: 9
QUALITY: 10
DESIGN: 10
OVERALL: 9.8

ADDITIONAL INFO:

**** Input options:

HDMI, Display Port, DVI, and RGB inputs - an outstanding range of input options. It also has a stereo audio input that will output sound from the internal speakers, which I might add aren't half bad for a display thats so thin. They don't have much distortion even at max volume (which is pleasingly loud), and thanks to internal Bass and Treble settings you can make them sound pretty good, though still not as good as a dedicated desktop system. I didn't expect much from them, but I was surprised. There is also a line out jack that works wonders for HDMI content. I currently have audio coming from my PS3 (along with 1080P video) in a different room through an HDMI splitter into this monitor, going out the line out on the monitor and into the line in on my PC, which then outputs the sound to my high quality desktop speakers that are connected to my PC (this lets me share audio between the two). The way it handles HDMI audio is a truly outstanding bonus, and it really made this monitor far more useful to me as a secondary display for my other HDMI entertainment devices.

**** Video options:

The display features customizable "Splendid" picture modes (5 total, with sRGB being raw, and non-configurable), sharpness adjustment, "Trace Free" which attempts to remove any additional ghosting as far as I can tell, and ASCR (ASUS Super Contrast Ratio) which is available as an option for all display modes except sRGB and "Standard", and AI Light which adjusts the back light to a balanced level with the room lighting.

Of those options I use the following settings. I set Sharpness down from 50 to 40 to give the display a nice smooth look for reading text, and it works very well, since the display is otherwise one of the sharpest I have seen. I set "Trace Free" to 0, since with a 2ms response time, ghosting is essentially nonexistent (this monitor is fast!). I leave ASCR on, since it really does do an amazing thing for gaming - the display can literally go pitch black when a dark scene is on the screen, and then within 1-2 seconds ramp up to eye burning max brightness when needed. AI Light works great, but it should be noted that it is only available when ASCR is disabled, since both cause adjustment of the LED lighting.

The monitor has no gamma adjustment, but it does feature custom color temperature settings with an R/G/B adjustment menu along with some presets (Cool/Normal/Warm). My current settings for R/G/B are R: 83, G: 76, B: 69 to make it match the calibrated output tone of my top of the line theater projector. I set color to 43 for all modes to prevent clipping, and contrast to 67 to keep color tone balance consistent across the entire grayscale, and again prevent clipping. It looks very, very nice with a bit of adjustment. Uncharacteristically warm for an LCD, in a good way. I've always been a fan of the warm, smooth, fast look of CRT's. This monitor is the first one I've seen that I could say matches and exceeds all of those characteristics.

**** More features:

Picture in picture works excellent, allowing you to move the smaller image window and change its size. You can have picture in picture from one of the other inputs that you aren't currently using as a primary for the entire screen. Audio tone adjustments allow you to make audio from the internal speakers sound pretty great for internal speakers in my opinion, and if nothing else they give you some freedom to tweak the sound coming from your HDMI line thats coming out to your speakers or headphones. The buttons on the bottom of the display are hidden well, which I like, and offer quick access to PIP, backlight brightness, speaker volume, input, and Splendid modes. Overall I love the ease of access and the audio/video features of this monitor. Its uncommon to find many of these features in a PC oriented display.

**** Design/quality:

The design of the monitor is very nice. I love that the screen is antiglare, and the entire monitor is glossy. It really makes the image look raw and undisturbed in contrast to the glossy exterior. Its great. The backlighting is extremely bright if you want it to be, instantly lit with no warm up, has a very neutral color tone (I expected the typical LED blue hue), and lights the screen very evenly without any bleeding at the edges. It also makes little to no heat, no hum, and shouldn't dim over time like traditional CCFL panels. The display controls are hidden pretty well, but are easy to access when needed. The speakers output audio from grills on the top of the monitor, and sound pretty decent. The AI Light sensor sits at the top of the monitor between the two speakers. The base is very sturdy and actually looks pretty nice. It has as much tilt range as I've found myself needing. The monitor has well placed 100mm x 100mm VESA mount holes as well, which I plan to utilize very soon.

OTHER NOTES:

+Gamma was hard to pin down to 2.2, since out of the box it sits at about 1.8 (This could be related to my default ICC profile, as there is no driver disk with the monitor).

+Yellow push was visible in skin tones out of the box, though there is a skin tone setting to adjust around this a bit (This could also be related to my monitor ICC profile).

+I loved this monitor so much that as soon as I used it for a week, I purchased a second one. If there are noticeable differences between both monitors I will make note of it here.

UPDATE - December 9th, 2010:

As noted above, I have returned to report if there were any differences between the first VE278Q and the second one that just arrived today. I'm very pleased to say that they are visibly identical in all but completely black scenes (there is a slightly different spread on the back lighting between them). The color tone is within 100K of the original at the same settings. There are again, no dead/stuck pixels or sub pixels. Call me impressed. With extended desktop between these two identical monitors, I now have an outstanding work station. Hope this review helps others! If Amazon gets some more of these in, I may get one more for my other desktop - these are too good to pass up.
2424 comments| 385 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2015
Man, where to start with this thing?

Well, first of all, let me start with the good, as there is very little bad. I wanted a monitor mainly since they were less expensive than a TV and would do the same things I wanted a TV to do. Mainly I use this to play Xbox next to my bed, as well as watch Netflix, and it has been a great experience so far!

Let me cover a few things about it before I get on the pros and cons.

This monitor is by no means a top-quality 600 dollar Sony 4k display, but for a price around or below 150 dollars? This thing is perfect. Whether you are building a PC and need a single (or double) display to work or game, or if you are like me and want a monitor to play console games, this works great. I would however, NOT use this as a 'living room' TV, even if you could hook up a cable box to your Xbox to do so. The monitor simply isn't big enough to serve as a TV. Ideally this is best when at a desk or next to a bed. The furthest I watched this from was about 10 feet away, and it was hard to even read anything on the screen with my glasses on. So the view angles aren't to spectacular. This display is a monitor to the core, even if it has an LED display. This does also have built in speakers, but they are nothing to go crazy about. If you want to listen to music on your computer, please buy speakers. The built in Stereo speakers are 'tinny' and sound like its coming out of a metallic can.

Anyway, lets get to the pros and cons.

Pros:
- Small, portable, nice and wide when you are close. (Double edge sword)
- Comes easy to install with a stand that requires no tools to put up.
- Yes, this can be mounted! It has a VESA Connector, 100x100
- Nice colors and good customization.
- All buttons but the power button has a satisfying "Click".
- Nice arsenal of connections/ports.
- Looks very nice close up.

Cons:
- Small, can't see from far away, can really only serve as a 'monitor' rather than a 'TV'
- Awkward viewing angles
- Ports are located awkwardly, especially the headphone jack
- Speakers are honestly terrible, plug in some (long) headphones
- The piano black finish will suck your fingerprints from a mile away
- Mail-in rebate is basically a free meal at Mcdonalds, not really worth doing.

Overall this is a great monitor, if you are on a budget, you should strongly consider this one.
on January 14, 2013
I compared all of the 27" monitors in a couple of stores and found that the ASUS was really the winner hands down. I ordered on a Wed from Amazon, expecting 2 day delivery but it was delivered next day! Great service guys as always.

The unit was perfect in every way, no one dead pixel and plastic wrap covering every exposed part of the bezel. Yes the Theater mode is scary bright so try one of the other presets or just adjust it yourself. You get two HDMI inputs, plus VGA. I like the Eco power option as well to make it even more friendly. 2ms response time is really great at this price. No its not an IPS panel but it also doesn't cost $100 more.

Overall, no issues whatsoever. Maximum PC gave it a 9 rating so its not just a personal opinion. Three year warranty with cross-ship to cover you so no need to buy any extended warranty. Honestly, for this price, its a real deal.
on February 6, 2017
Horrible monitor, could not get the color calibrated no matter what I tried. Colors were either washed out or almost fluorescent. Spent a good part of a day trying to get this monitor to work using all sorts of combinations. None of the presets were close to acceptable. I have 2 24" ASUS monitors that are great so when I wanted a 27" at a reasonable price ASUS is where I looked. A large majority of 5 star reviews. My experience was far different. I am a photographer and I need solid, consistent color for photo editing. What you see on the screen is not even close to what you get on the printer. Even though I am in my 60's I am a gamer and if I didn't need the color for photography and I didn't have a reference, this monitor may have been OK. I love Amazon because of their return policy. This monitor goes back today
on November 26, 2015
Great monitors got 2 of them.great picture quality.
on May 23, 2012
Overall Review
First impression is extremely attractive with a beautiful MATTE screen, zero glare. It did take a little while for me to get it to display my desktop. You have to manually select your input. Once you have selected it powering it on/off brings you back to the last selection. The "Splendid Technology" is exactly what we are familiar with already when it comes to higher end LCD/LED TV's. Allows you to change your viewing mode to scenery/standrad/night/theatre/game/sRGB. So in conclusion, not only do I love this monitor and recomend it, I am going to order 4 more for Eyefinity Portrait Mode.

24 vs 27
I was in turmoil over the 24-inch or a 27-inch, The difference in size is literally minimal. The actual viewing area of the 27 is exactly equal to the 24 with the bezel. Considering that the bezel is only 5/16, I personally could not justify the extra 100 bucks. The 27 does have Picture in Picture so that might be a factor for many.

Inputs
There is a great deal of discussion about the inputs so here is the truth. The connections you can actually plug into it are. HDMI, VGA, DISPLAYPORT(NOT MINI), 3.5mm audio in, 3.5mm audio out(headphone jack), and the standard three prong removable power cable..... NO DVI and not MINI DISPLAYPORT. The controversay over the DVI is confusing. The monitor does include an HDMI-DVI cable but the HDMI end goes into the monitor.

Cables included
Standard power cable(removeable), HDMI to DVI, male to male 3.5 audio cable, and VGA cable.

Stand
This does come with a 2 piece stand, kinda strange because I have never seen one like it. Not better not worse just different. I am thinking it was just a packaging thing but either way I have no intention of using it but I did attach it just to review it for you. I has a good range of tilt up or down. Though it does tilt dwon way more than up, almost face down. The up is more than sufficient at about 20 degrees. Round base so the mount doesn't swivel.

Mounting
This does allow you to remove both pieces of the stand with 2 simple screws so you can mount it on a standard Vesa for 24-inch monitors. If you do not know what a Vesa is but you have mounted a flat screen before, odds are you used the VESA as it is the standard.

Feature Positions
Facing the monitor there is 6 downward facing buttons on the bottom right (not touch sensitive just standard momentary) for controlling the power, volume, menu, and etc. Nothing else to talk about on the front but a very thin bezel.

Facing the back of the monitor all of your connections are downward facing(meaning that your cables will route downwards once plugged in). The power is on the left and everything else is on the right. Remember this is if your facing the back. The cables will be hidden from view once routed because the connections are recessed up about 1/4 of the way.

Size (Overall Dimensions)
22 5/16 wide, 13 5/16 tall and 1.5-inches thick, 25 13/16 X(diagonal), and an exact 24-inch viewing area. If you want to inlay this the outer 4 corners are bull-nosed and the front panel edges are softened with a 4-5 degree pitch.

I may or may not have over explained this monitor but I have been around the block a few times when it comes to shopping for monitors for various reasons so I tried to be as helpful as possible and cover everything I have researched for in the past.
66 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
A search for Amazon "Displayport 1.2 Daisy Chain Monitors" brings this product up as the very first listing.

In the product description, it states "DisplayPort connectivity transmits high-definition visuals to external displays that are superior to DVI and VGA ports, supporting multiple monitors on one cable so you can daisy-chain two or more together."

To me, this implied that the monitor supports daisy chaining. However, after purchasing two of these displays, I discovered that it does not (each display only has one DisplayPort input).

This advertising is extremely misleading and a bit infuriating.
on September 20, 2015
I have been a loyal fan of ASUS for about 10 years, having built up a number of computers using their mother boards and finally, buying one of their economy gaming computers - all wonderful. About two years ago I purchased an ASUS VE247 monitor and have happily used it with its DVI input. I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi computer and plugged it into the ASUS HDMI input - The ASUS VE247 did not detect the HDMI signal and gave a "No DVI" message screen for a few seconds and went to sleep. After a couple of hours of reading and debugging the Raspberry Pi; I thought to just plug into the HDMI on my Samsung TV. WHALLAH! It worked fine. So I figured that there was just something wrong with my particular ASUS monitor - no problem, I used it in DVI mode with another computer anyway. So I ordered an ASUS VE228H monitor to use with the Raspberry Pi.

SURPRISE! The VE228H behaved the same way. So I sent an inquiry to ASUS technical support and after a day, got their long-winded canned response (indicating that they had not really read my inquiry). If you simply unplug from their unresponsive monitor, and plug the same cable and plug into the TV and the TV works, then unplug from the TV and back into their monitor and it does not detect the HDMI signal, it is not the level, or bent pins, or faulty cable, DUH!!##! And that is with both ASUS monitors, and that is with turning them on and off and unplugging them and resetting them - all with the same result - thank you very much ASUS support.

Additionally, I tried the following:

1. I purchased an HDMI to DVI converter plug, and the ASUS monitor works basically fine (but, of course, without sound) - again demonstrating thatthe HDMI interface is the most likely problem, in that it probably does not conform to the international standard in some way.

3. The very same applies to my other Asus monitor, a VE247. My Samsung monitor does not have an HDMI input, but also works with the HDMI-DVI converter plug.

4. Additionally, I tried the same Raspberry Pi computer and HDMI cable with a Westinghouse LVM37W3 monitor and it works perfectly.

5. Using the Samsung DVD player that is normally connected by HDMI to my Westinghouse monitor, I tried it with both, the new ASUS ve228H monitor and the old ve247 monitor and in both cases, I get the "No DVI" message on the screen. In other words the monitors have no idea that an active HDMI source is even connected to them. It is the same using the Raspberry Pi. And as with the Raspberry Pi and Samsung TV, I simply unplug the HDMI cable from the unresponsive ASUS monitor and into the Westinghouse monitor and it immediately detects the HDMI and after a few seconds the appropriate image from the DVD appears. Unplug the HDMI from the Westinghouse and plug back into the ASUS and the "No DVI" message appears on the ASUS.

CONCLUSION: There is something drastically wrong with the ASUS implementation of HDMI. And on the basis of only one contact, I would say their support is pretty useless as well.
For me the monitor with the HDMI to DVI converter is ok. It required some configuration from the Raspberry Pi side to get to display in 1920x1080 mode; but that is done. I had not planned on using the monitor's speakers any way, so it works for me, just a lot of wasted time. If someone really wants to use the HDMI input on the monitor, look somewhere else.
on May 9, 2014
This was a pretty good monitor out of the box, and the speakers were useless like most people say, and it gave me about 3 months of satisfying use. I even gave it a four star review. But I think I've just changed my mind.

When I first got the monitor it was hard to get the color scheme right but I figured I could tolerate a unusually bright picture if I was getting 24 inches of 1080p picture, right? Another minor gripe was this little 'ghosting' effect that dark text on a white background had, but I dug through some other Amazon reviews and found a work-around for it, and it was only an issue when I was working with long papers and reports for school. So again, I tolerated the issue because having a big monitor was really nice and overall it was a decent machine. Unfortunately my desire to spend as little as possible has finally caught up with me. I have just recently noticed a vertical stripe of dying pixels about an inch wide running down the center of the monitor. The colors in the stripe are noticeably darker than the rest of the screen and there is some distortion with text. I doubt this is a factory defect because I have heard of others running into this issue. I would check to see if this is under warranty but I'd rather buy a different, more reliable monitor than get another cheap one that will have all the issues I've had with this. Shell out the extra 20-30 bucks to get a higher-end screen and save the 165 I just wasted on mine. In the end, you get what you pay for.