Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VIZIO E390VL 39-Inch 60Hz 1080p Class LCD HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on May 24, 2012
I purchased a Vizio E390VL last week from my local Costco ($399.99) and couldn't be happier. I live in the mountains, so I don't have a lot of the "modern" technology that much of the U.S. has, so I was looking for a great TV that was not over-accessorized with a bunch of widgets, social media, streaming movies, etc., built in. This TV fit the bill precisely. In all honesty, it does have one LAN connection, but it's hard to find almost anything electronic that doesn't have an internet connection.
When I got to Costco, I was planning on purchasing the 37" Vizio E370VL ($394.99), which appears to be an exact replica of the E390VL, but for only 5 bucks more, I was able to get 2 more diagonal inches of screen size from this brand new model, at 39".
This TV has many desirable features, including ambient light sensor, so the picture brightness is automatically adjusted for room light conditions. One of the best things I love about this TV is the OUTSTANDING sound - not the tinny sound many people have come to expect from a mid-sized flat-screen television. I have this TV in my bedroom and have not even considered upgrading the sound from the factory supplied speakers.
Overall, I would buy another Vizio in a heartbeat. Costco offered a standard 2 year warranty and I purchased an additional 3 years of warranty service from Square Deal (at Costco) for only $29.00. Great deal!
on July 8, 2012
I researched for about 2 days, reading reviews on the internet and looking at TVs at Walmart, Costco, SavMart(local),Target, Shopco, and Sears. I ended up with a Vizio E390VL at Costco. I had read where Vizios were a decant television wirh good features for the money. It was certainly one of the least expensive, well under $400. A lot of the reviews on the internet talk about picture quality. It seemed to me that the quality was good on just about every TV I looked at. The reviews to me were mostly just splitting hairs. Anyway, this Vizio has a nice crisp picture in HD, and even the non HD chalnnels look decent. There seems to be little bluring with fast action, which surprised me being that it was only 60Hz. In Costco the Vizio was playing right next to a Samsung 120 HZ. The picture was a little brighter on the Samsung, a bit more subdued on the Vizio, but I thought that I might like the Vizio better in a dark room being that sometimes TVs in dark rooms can be a bit too bright. I guess this Vizio has a way of self adjusting the light depending on the brightness of the surrounding room, and of course in Costco the store lighting can be pretty bright. Afer I set the TV up in my home, the picture seemed to be just the right brightness. There are also easy adjustments to the picture that can be made later if you want the colors to stand out more or whatever. The bluring of the picture with fast action also seemed to minimal, which surprised me being that it is 60HZ. One thing to remember with buying a new TV is to check out if the TV has enough of the right kind of jacks in the back. This model has 2 HDMI and only ONE set of 5 analog jacks. The analog jacks I use for my old VCR. My DVD player has a HDMI plug, so one HDMI is all I needed. There is also one audio output jack for a head phone. This model also has a computer hook-up jack, unlike the 120 HZ Samsung that was next to it in Costco. This Vizio also has one USB plug, but I have not used it yet. One thing that makes this model cheaper than other models is that it is florescent back lit instead of an LED LCD. To me the only difference is that this TV is thicker than the LED TVs. For me that was meaningless. Floescent back lit TVs are less expensive, but picture quality is just as good as far as I could see. As far as longevity of the TV goes, there is no way of knowing for sure with any TV. Because this TV was so inexpensive, I did not buy any insurance (Costco has insurance you can buy). I'll take the chance and just throw it away when it goes bad. Anyway, I am happy with my purchase. The initial set up was easy using the quick start guide that came in the box. It took the TV about 10 minutes to automatically find all the channels. It is easy to use and has a great picture. You have to get the complete users manual off the internet, but I have not had to look at it yet.
on August 8, 2012
I bought the Vizio E390VL at my local Costco for $369 on sale. Bought it for my bedroom, and real it's probably too big for a bedroom, but it looks great. I mounted it on the wall in the corner so that it can be directed to anywhere in the room. There is very little glare, and the brightness is great. It has a feature to auto-dim in low light, but I turned it off because it seemed to be a little too dark. You'll have to play with the settings as there are a dozen different pre-programmed profiles, i.e. Golf, Football, Baseball, Video Game, Movie, etc. I think I set mine to football as it made the greens really pop while watching the olympics.

The two HDMI ports are easy to access, one is on the left side along with the power, channel, and volume buttons. Remote control is easy to understand, no issues there. The volume seems to be good, it goes up to 100 and I've never had it over 40. I'd say you won't go wrong with this TV.
on October 21, 2012
I've always been a fan of the Vizio product line. My first TV was a 26" LED LCD TV that I bought for my college dorm room. With that being said, I felt the need to get a bigger TV. I immediately started looking for another Vizio as a replacement. I've never had a problem with Vizio's, so my decision wasn't second guessed. They offer good quality TV's for a reasonable price. I stumbled upon this one, which caught my due to it's odd size. I wasn't really looking to spend more than $450 on a TV and the 42" that Vizio offers is close to $550. I asked myself why pay another $100 for just three inches? So my decision was made. I purchased this one and got it in two days due to my prime membership. Out of the box I was very pleased with the design. The piano finish looks great and construction of the item seems stable. I got it all set and ready and boy was I impressed. Picture quality is good and bright thanks to the LCD. The colors look great as it has a very rich detail. The amount of plug ins is sufficient. You have 2 HDMI ports, a component port, USB plug in, headphone plug in, and digital out. The only downside is that the stand has no swiveling capability, so the TV cannot be turned unless is hooked up to a wall mount. All in all, I am very pleased with this TV, as it satisfies my needs.

The Good: Good size, Full HDTV 1080p, Sufficient amount of device ports, Great picture quality, Bright display thanks to LCD back light.

The Bad: Stand doesn't swivel.
on August 28, 2012
I bought this TV for our bedroom, and it's a great choice for that purpose. For a main, family room application I would imagine you would want a larger size unit with higher refresh rate and LED back-lighting - which may matter when watching sports, etc.

For the bedroom, or second TV use in general, this is a great choice. It does not have all the greatest features, but look at the price. In my use, the picture is just fine. Additionally:

* You can tune the picture and sound to your tastes. Several picture and sound profiles are built-in for you to choose from. But you can also go full-custom and tweak them to your heart's content.

* The speakers are pretty good. Sound quality is a highly subjective matter, but for me, in a bedroom application, the TV sound system is just fine with way more volume capability than I will EVER need. If you're going to use the TV in the family room and watch movies with great sound effects, you will need a sound bar type setup - which is the case with all these flat-panels.

The one negative I have found so far: the remote control is pathetic. Small buttons with zero ergonomic help in using it in the dark environment of a bedroom. I guess at this price you can't ask for too much. Definitely count on replacing it.
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2012
This is my second Vizio and I bought it for a spare room in our house. We're talking about a short room where there's not more than 6 feet between you and the screen, and for that it's been an excellent TV. I did a lot more research than I'd wanted to, simply because I was trying to find the best possible deal and the newest possible TV tuner: my cable provider has a very picky signal, and the older TV I had suddenly started getting zero channels one day. My criteria were simple:

- 1080p
- at least one HDMI input
- at least one Component input
- new enough to have a good ATSC/NTSC/QAM digital/analog tuner

The TV has a clean, clear picture with a remarkable amount of color. Signal quality is very good despite my home having some issues with the cable in the walls. The remote is very compact and while its buttons do require a bit of pressure to mash on, they are very responsive. Setup was very easy and the scanner picked up 92 channels, mostly perfect and a few near-perfect: that was more than I expected. The side HDMI has also made it very easy to quickly stick a laptop on and surf from the couch. It doesn't have built-in goodies like YouTube or Netflix, but that's what the laptop is for...

The only real issue with this Vizio and the other one I own is that powering up or switching inputs can sometimes be slow--just be patient and you'll get your signal.

If you're looking for the latest & greatest hi-tech TV, or you're considering the VIZIO E390VL as your main TV in a home theater setup, it's probably not going to blow you away. But if you want a great entry-level TV, spare room TV, this Vizio E390VL gives you great bang for your buck.

Tip: on a side note, I decided on an articulating wall mount that, truth be told, was a bit of overkill...but I've been very happy with mounting this TV using a Cheetah Mounts Plasma LCD Flat Screen TV Articulating Full Motion Dual Arm Wall Mount Bracket For 32-65" Displays Up To 165LBS With 10' High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet Fits Up To 24" Studs.
on April 10, 2015
Bought 5 Vizio televisions for a weekend house that we use very infrequently. Was satisfied until now - after 2 1/2 years of very little use, one of the 39" televisions has failed completely. Will not be buying this brand again.
on April 16, 2013
I got this 39" tv for my bedroom. I have it on a tall dresser and it still has a great picture from an angle when I lay in bed watching. Many other reviews said they found lots of channels right away, but I didn't have as much luck. I didn't realize I would need to attach an antena to get any channels, so make sure you have an antena or cable to hook up. This wasn't a huge concern since I'll mostly use the tv to watch DVD's and Netflix. It does take a minute to turn on when you hit the power button, but after that is very responsive when you change the channel or adjust the volume, etc. The picture and sound is great, I'm very happy with my purchase.
on February 18, 2013
Was a little skeptical getting are refurbished one since you never know but I decided to try it anyway since it came with the warranty. Arrived on time and it is just what I wanted. Picture and sound are good but i was using a dinosaur before so anything is an improvment. The only thing I noticed was the remote that came with it was a little dirty with dust and fingerprints which was a little gross to me but I'm not going to complain. Overall, so far I am happy with this product but I have only had it about a week so we will see.
on July 18, 2016
Very good picture for the price. Super lightweight for mounting or transporting. Sound is pretty bad, as is the case for most flat screens. Mine has seen fairly limited use, as it's mounted in a bonus room, but it's still doing great after 3 years.