Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 28, 2014
I purchased this TV on June 5th. Around December 23rd, it suddenly developed a vertical black line with a circle at the bottom. The vizio Customer Service folks informed me that it must have sustained an impact (it had not), then informed me that I refused to believe the explanation and there would be no replacement under their limited warranty. Prior to this, I was satisfied with the TV, but a black line in the middle makes it useless, and the Vizio Customer Service folks calling me a liar was a less-than-pleasant experience.

Upon contacting Amazon, they promptly offered up a replacement TV. That was refreshing.
review image
1212 comments| 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2016
Great TV while it worked. Unfortunately 19 months later the picture went out. So I did some research online and did the 'unplug for 30 minutes', 'hit the reset button for 30 seconds' thing and it didn't work. Frustrated I just left it unplugged for a while that afternoon and tried to wrap my mind around having to replace a TV less than 2 years old. Just for the heck of it I plugged it back in a few hours later and it worked! I was good to go for about a month then one night the picture just went black, still had sound but no picture. Tried the same trick as before but no dice. I called Vizio and they quoted me $335 to fix it. Uh, no thank you. Being that its out of the 1 year 'limited' warranty I'm now out of luck and will be purchasing a new (non Vizio) TV. Most likely this time I'll purchase the extended warranty which is of course another racket these days. There is no reason why a $700 TV shouldn't last longer than 20 months.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2014
After doing a good bit of research, I settled on the Vizio because it seemed like a pretty good deal at just under $800. Overall I've found the TV to work pretty well. The screen is huge and has really been great for playing video games (one of the main reasons I was looking to upgrade to a bigger TV). I'd previously owned a Samsung and an LG, and I've found that overall this TV performs about as well as those.

That said, I've found two issues with the TV that are worth mentioning. First of all the "Active LED Zones" concept sounds good on paper, but I found it to be very irritating when watching shows with a lot of dark scenes. What you find is a kind of flickering effect as the LED's turn off and on based on the content. So I just disabled this feature and the picture is great without it.

The second thing to mention is that I've been having a very occasional issue where the TV will just lock up and shut down. Like I'd be in the middle of watching a movie, and the sound cut off, then the TV just turned off completely. Doing some searching, this seems to be an issue that others have encountered. It's happened to me only a handful of times, so I don't see it as a big deal provided the frequency doesn't increase over time.

Overall, it's a good TV and certainly a great value. If the powering off problem remains a relative infrequent occurrence, then I'd probably bump this to 4 stars.

Edit: Bumped to 4 stars as I've had this TV for a while now and I honestly don't remember the last time it shut off for no reason. Really happy with my purchase. I've never turned the LED zone feature back on and been very happy with the picture quality.
22 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2016
Purchased this TV on January 30th of 2015, received it fairly quickly in early February. Loved the TV.... up until December 30th 2015. This is when the TV screen stopped functioning (it is completely black), there is still sound but absolutely no visible image. I paid $600 for this TV not even a year ago and it is now useless. Hands down the worse purchase I have made.

UPDATE: Spoke with Vizio customer service, they sent a refurbished TV, which I received nearly a month after my initial call to customer support. Worked fine for literally TWO days, and back to the same issue again. I suppose I will call support again, but I really really do NOT want to wait a month for another broken TV... PLEASE save yourself a ton of hassles and inconvenience and do NOT buy a Vizio.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2015
Updated! The backlight burned out after 25 months. Apparently this is really common for Vizio TVs according to other stories I've seen on the web. Vizio told us there was nothing they could do-goodbye.

Good: The picture is fabulous, though I spent forever trying different settings. There are settings listed in other reviews, C-net reviews, and elsewhere on the web. None of them really helped. I just kept fiddling with the settings.
I also like that I can name the HDMI inputs, which is nice to keep straight which is the cable box, the Apple TV, the DVD player, etc.
This TV is cheap.

Bad: The sensor for the remote is really small, not that sensitive, and for some reason is jammed way down in the left hand corner. From 15' away, the response is sluggish, and the slight overhang of the cabinet the TV is in kills the remote action from most angles. Had to buy an IR repeater ($8 here on Amazon --IR Hidden Infrared Remote Extender Receiver Emitter Repeater System). A better place for the sensor is the middle top of the TV (bottom is often obscured by soundbars).

Other: Smart TV functions. Can't review this, because I don't use it. The remote has dedicated buttons for some of the functions. AppleTV and Airplay are better options for getting streaming to the TV (or Chromecast or whatever). If there was a "Dumb" version of the TV that was cheaper, I'd be all over it. Just ask yourself this question, who would you rather have programming your apps, Apple/Google, or Vizio?

Also, don't listen to the guy who says the screws are too short. The metal plate the rises up from the stand fits inside the TV, not flush with the back. Slide the plate into the slot at the base, and put the screws through the back of the TV. The triangle of the stand fits into the triangle depression on the bottom of the TV. That being said, the TV sways alarmingly front and back on this stand. Do not rely on the stand to keep the TV from tipping forward on your baby. Seriously. Mount it to the wall, or get some earthquake straps.
22 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 13, 2016
It was a nice tv but it died after 1 year and 10 months. Estimate was $334 to repair it. For $100 more I can buy a brand new one of another brand.
Update: On the bright side, VIZIO tech support said it sounded like the power supply board failed. I'd never even considered fixing a TV before but since it was already toast, I had nothing to lose. So I watched a youtube video, ordered and replaced the power supply board. The TV is working again! I was impressed that board replacement was no harder than adding a card to a PC. Getting the back cover off was the only tricky part. I was also impressed that you can purchase all 4 replacements boards as a kit for only $79.
on February 11, 2016
DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR TV ON AMAZON. The tv itself was great. came in great packaging and the picture was crystal clear. There were times it would not connect to my hulu or pandora but I assumed it was an internet connection issue. I came home one christmas day to find that my tv that I had for only ONE YEAR had no picture but only sound. When the warranty company came to pick it up after about 2 weeks they told me the tv was not fixable. HOW? A brand new tv breaks after only one year and theres no way of fixing it. What could have possibly gone wrong?! ON TOP OF EVERYTHING the warranty was crap. Theyve had my money and tv for almost 2 months now and they arent even sending me back a full refund. I will never buy a tv on amazon again. you're better off going to best buy or another electronic store where if you are having issues you can speak to someone first hand.
on January 10, 2015
Vizio E550i-B2 Review: 55 inch LED TV

Ok so a brief back story on my TV experience before this TV. Ive had a 50" AKAI Plasma since 2005. It did the job, and served me well over the years. But It was old, and was not full HD, had no hdmi hookup, and started showing me its last leg this last year. but over these last 3 years i have been religiously looking for a new TV. I did tons of research, and spent may days and hours on Amazon, checking prices, stock, and reviews. A couple years ago, I bought a high end LG led tv. Maybe it was the LG xx7600?? I cant remember off hand, but it was the 2nd to the top. I paid about $1600-$1800 for it. I had it, used it, and didn't like it. The picture wasn't clear, and the fake motion blur killed me. That point forward, i thought LED wasn't for me. So I tried staying true to plasma. I really wanted the Panasonic GT50 or the Newer VT60. But with much procrastinating in hopes of the price dropping, I soon totally lost my window when they decided to discontinue them, and the remaining stock had skyrocketed to several thousand.

After that, I didn't know what to do. Plasma was pretty much out, and i wasn't liking my brief experience with LED. I looked, and looked, debated on expensive high end 3D tvs that i would probably never use most of their features anyways. Running out of time with my current TV on its last leg, and cyber monday sale nearing its end, I finally jumped. I bought this 55" Vizio Led TV. Again, i was weighing all my options from expensive Samsungs, to cheap TCL roku TVs. But it was Vizio's popularity and good reputation among friends and other people I know that made me go with them. Plus the sale price, and the Amazon Prime member discount was hard to pass up. I believe I paid $528 for the 55" at the time, which is great!

So how do I like the TV you ask?? I like it! i like it alot actually, but I don't love it. I don't find myself blown away with HD goodness all that often. Coming from a 10 yr old standard HD Plasma, i thought I would be in awe. But most of the time i just think that looks pretty good. Things like Xbox 360, and some movies are a huge upgrade, and really look amazing. The overall picture is good, and i am more than satisfied.
At first it took a good bi of tinkering and getting used to. Coming from a plasma, the whole motion blur thing is weird and hard to get used to. The colors looked fake, and cartoonish. Peoples faces looked like they were caked in makeup or animated. One thing I learned, the whole 120hz and 240hz motion blur crap, is just that, crap! The best picture is when you turn off that feature. I see it on so many reviews and calibration settings. Not just this TV, but most others as well.

As I said the tinkering, and adjusting. I googled calibration settings. And after i changed them all to match the ones that I found, it definitely made a difference. Much more true to life, and consistent.

One thing I don't like is the remote. Its so small, and has no light. i have to constantly try and see what i am pressing. They should have included a better remote.
Also, i have a dead pixel or two in my TV. I know its there so it annoys me. But I dont know if its worth the hassle of going through warranty or a return to get it fixed.

Overall for the price, i am pretty happy. I can wish for some improvements, but Its better than spending $1000 on nearly the same thing. i am satisfied and I would recommend this TV.

Calibration settings i used: Definitely helped the picture

---Picture settings menu---

80%: 0, 0, 0
90%: 0, 0, 0
100%: 0, 0, 0
on February 22, 2014
Had this for a week. Great blacks and detail. After a couple hours of picture tuning I have an excellent TV for Blu-rays and games. Not using apps much other than Netflix via PS3. Again Picture and 120HZ motion is great for everything especially for around $700.

TURN OFF Active LED control. Makes movie faces look like wax and smoothed over. It also reduced color which I found unnecessary.
You're better off turning off all "advanced picture settings" which makes the picture look too processed and noisy.

UPDATE: This will give you an amazing HD picture. Took me 3 months to get it down. Enjoy!

Start with "Normal" pic mode
Color 54
Tint -1
Sharpness 30

Keep film mode to Auto.

If you're a gamer switch to Game mode with these pic settings and you're good to go!

Over time the picture/LEDs are settling in very nice.
1515 comments| 587 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2014
My wife and I were kind enough to hold on to my brother's Samsung 50" TV while he and his family were moving. We ended up having it for about 5 months. Once he got settled into his new place we gave it back to him and bought this Vizio Smart TV. I was worried that the picture quality would be vastly different, but that was not the case. This TV has great picture quality! As for the Smart TV features, we already had an Apple TV, so I haven't navigated the Smart TV options extensively but the user interface is very intuitive. Connecting to the Wi-Fi was simple as well as the rest of the setup.

My wife and I purchased a used one via Amazon Warehouse deals. We couldn't be happier with our purchase. It came in the original box which was obviously not new. However, upon opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to see the TV wrapped just like as if it was brand new. There was not a scratch anywhere to be found on the TV or any of the accessories.
22 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse