- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
VIZIO M420NV 42-inch Class Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV (2010 Model)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- SRS TruVolume and SRS TruSurround HD audio
- 100,000 to 1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
- Less than 2" (max depth 9.41" with stand)
- 1080p HD with Razor LED backlighting
- 120Hz refresh rate
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
- Brand Name: VIZIO
- Model Number: M420NV
- Display Technology: LED
- Display Size: 42.00 inches
- Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
An amazingly slim 1.15" HDTV profile.
120Hz processing for lifelike detail and a blur-free picture.
Deep blacks and brighter whites via a 100,000:1 ratio.
Razor sharp clarity via full 1080p High-Def resolution.
Also included is the digital ambient light sensor ensuring you will always have the best picture and most efficient energy savings by adjusting the brightness based on the lighting conditions of your room. Experience advanced audio technologies such as SRS TruSurround HD with explicit dialog clarity and SRS TruVolume to neutralize the sound in between commercials and your favorite movie or TV programs. Enjoy ultimate connectivity with up to four high definition inputs and take pleasure in knowing this energy efficient LED backlit LCD HDTV exceeds new ENERGY STAR 4.0 guidelines by 30% when turned on and consumes 51% less energy than the 2009 model, conserving our planet's resources while saving you money.
- 42-inch LED Backlit LCD HDTV featuring 1920 x 1080 pixels and support for 1.06 billion colors.
- Razor Thin Profile only 1.15" thin, with a maximum depth in places of 2.0".
- Full 1080p High Definition Resolution gives you over 2 million pixels, making the clarity and detail of your picture razor sharp.
- 100,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio giving you deeper blacks and brighter whites.
- 120Hz refresh rate teamed with VIZIO’s Smooth Motion Video technology reduces judder giving you a smooth and fluid natural picture with lifelike detail.
- Ambient Lighting is achieved as energy efficient sensors auto-adjust brightness for the perfect picture regardless of room conditions.
- 178/178 Degree Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle results in a crisp and clear picture that is easily visible from just about anywhere in the room.
- Two Built-in 10-watt Speakers provide clear room-filling sound.
- SRS Audio Technologies: SRS TruVolume evens out dynamics to limit volume inconsistencies between programming, while SRS TruSurround HD delivers immersive virtual high-definition surround sound out of the unit's two speakers.
- Included Remote is stylish and enables you to easily control every function of your TV.
- ECO HD exceeds the current ENERGY STAR 4.1, saving you money on utilities, while limiting the impact on our planet.
- Warranty: One year parts and labor, and free lifetime technical support.
- HDMI (with HDCP): 4
- Component Plus Stereo Audio: 1
- RF: 1
- Composite: 1
- Computer Input (RGB): 1
- SPDIF Digital Optical Output: 1
- Stereo Audio Output: 1
- TV with stand: 43.9" x 24.9" x 2.0" (WxHxD); 39.51 pounds
- TV without stand: 45.3" x 32.7" x 12.8" (WxHxD); 36.4 pounds
- What size TV should you get?
What's in the Box
VIZIO M420NV 42-inch LED backlit LCD HDTV, detachable base with thumbscrew, VIZIO VUR12 remote (includes 2 AAA batteries), user manual, registration card, quickstart guide, power cord, safety strap.
- Screen Size: 42-inches
- Tuner: ATSC/QAM
- Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Signal Compatibility: 1080p (FHDTV), 1080i(HDTV), 720p(HDTV), 480p(EDTV), 480i(SDTV)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 100,000:1 w/DCR
- Brightness: 450 cd/m2
- Response Time: 6.5ms
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz
- LED: Yes - edge lit
- Picture-in-Picture (PIP): Yes
- Picture-outside-Picture (POP): Yes
- V-Chip: Yes
- 3D Comb Filter: Yes
- 3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down: Yes
- ATSC with 8VSB and QAM Demodulation: Yes
- ATSC with MPEG-2 Decoding: Yes
- NTSC Video Decoding via Video: Yes
- Progressive Scan Video: Yes
- Remote Control: universal remote - VUR12
- Panel Lamp Life (typical): 30,000 hours
- Voltage Range: 240 Vac at 50/60Hz
- Power Consumption: 75W (Avg), 0.37W Standby
- Wall Mount Hole Pattern: VESA standard 200mm x 200mm
| || |
With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience.
If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.
Read about our customers' top-rated TVs on our reviews pages: TV Reviews, 4K TV Reviews, LED TV Reviews, Plasma TV Reviews, and Smart TV Reviews. Shop our popular TV brands: LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and VIZIO.
Top Customer Reviews
I purchased this TV because it exceeds Energy Star 4.0 standards, and Vizio has a great reputation for making TVs that last (unlike Samsung, which is a brand that I replaced when BOTH of my Samsung TVs stopped working). This is also the only American brand, which all things being equal (and actually, they aren't because this TV outperforms other brands in my humble opinion) is a nice bonus for this purchase.
The installation was much simpler than with the older sets I have purchased. It needed no adjustment, the picture came up sharp and clear.
The Vizio uses less than 1/3 the amount of electricity as the older, smaller set did. The picture is very bright and very sharp. It is also clear from a very wide angle (which was a surprise as well). My last , older Vizio, had faded or messed up picture when viewd from too sharp an angle, not this one.
It also delivers a good picture in a bright , sunlit room.
And after a couple of weeks, I can honestly say that I could not be HAPPIER.
Although it was a bit fuzzy at first (making me fear that I had made the wrong choice), after approximately 40 hours of run time, the tv callibrated itself into the clearest, sharpest screen I have ever viewed.
Yet, I must say that my FAVORITE feature has to be the thickness (or lack thereof, I should say) of this television. After living a lifetime with those outdated, "pregnant" back televisions, I love that, although larger screen size, it takes up less space - really opening up a room. (Which I'm sure will only improve much more when we finish remodeling and transfer to a wall mount.)
Remote: super easy to program for DVD players, Wii. (Was already fully functional for a Charter digital cable box)
Side USB ports are wonderfully convenient for hooking up computer, camera, or flash drive. Just plug in and go.
While it may seem a little pricier compared to other brands of the same size, it offers more features, has superb quality, and is recommend not only by me but by numerous other reviewers.
I know someone else that has this model though and there are no problems at all. The picture is great and the sound is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I just think that edge lit LED TVs need to be researched a little more to reduce the clouding issues, because some of them are severe. I think I happened to get one that was just worse than others, but there is a chance that this will happen.
This replaces my 4 year old 37 inch Magnavox HDTV. Was very pleased with it. No problems. Still sharp picture. However, the color was no longer vibrant. Moved it to a spare room for Wii play. I think LCD TVs are good for 4 years max - due to color fading. To be clear, color fading is tolerable in the kitchen TV, and bedrooms, but not in my main TV.
I am satisfied with my one year old 32 inch Vizio kitchen LCD HD, and went with Vizio again.
Since I was going from 37 to 42 inches, and have a glass stand, I wanted a light TV. This weighs under 40 pounds, with stand.
Easy to handle. The base had a single screw (directions said 4, not true), which you hand tighten. Easy installation. The Magnavox base was difficult to install. Had to call their tech support for help.
These come with a good instruction manual, and are very easy to setup. Sound is good. Picture, very good in HD, good in standard. Soon, all programs will be in HD. Blu Ray discs look great, as do sports events and movies.
Purchased at my local warehouse club, as their extended contract pricing is very low. I have had surge damage, on several occasions, and buy these warranties to protect against that. Great price for a TV less than 2 inches thin.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought refurbished in 2011, still reliable and picture-perfect.
- Very lightweight and thin, could easily setup and move myself
- Very low... Read more
First time I have ever bought an off-brand but glad I did. I have a 55-inch Samsung and I don't think there is very much difference in quality of viewing, color, etc. Read morePublished 15 months ago by Janet Lirette
I've never had any problems with this television. One possible thing of note is that this television came with no dead pixels, which would cause me anxiety if it did. Read morePublished 15 months ago by Craig Carpenter
Had it for two years and the main board died on it. It was great until then but I'd prefer a led hdtv that lasts a lot longer.Published 16 months ago by Mezzie Mezz
Had this TV for awhile now, no issues great picture quality. I will definitely buy a vizio again.Published 18 months ago by JAH
I cannot say enough about this television. It has delivered and never let me down. It runs almost 15 hours a day and has for almost three years now. Read morePublished 19 months ago by Never Pay Full Price
Incredible almost 5-year old TV for those wanting to maintain more privacy by doing w/out WIFI but still get a uniquely-configured & awesome TV. Read morePublished 20 months ago by HuzbendDaddy
failed on me with in a month otherwise it was good. I may not buy things like this used...just sayinPublished 22 months ago by mark hartje