Oil month Automotive Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 15, 2017
Go to your NVIDIA control panel, and click on "Change resolution" under Display. Scroll down, click on "Output dynamic range" and set it to full. I've included a picture for help with this. It should fixed colors that look washed out, without having to modify any color settings. If you already made some, I suggest you factory reset your monitor (in the menus) as it will look strange after doing this. Other than that problem, this monitor looks great! Also, you shouldn't have to worry if you're using DVI.
review image
2323 comments| 292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2017
I read some pretty horrible reviews on Amazon today regarding Asus customer support, and thought, that can't be right! But now I fully understand the frustration that all of those customers have gone through.

I'll start out by saying when I build a computer, most of what I pay goes into Asus products (used to, but not anymore). Motherboards, video cards, DVD drives, monitors, etc. I also recommend Asus to others, probably at least once a month if not more often, since it's the brand I've always purchased for certain products. But my last few Asus purchases have been getting worse and worse. This monitor lasted a few months working as it should. Then one day I heard a loud buzzing sound, and it was this monitor. It sounded like it was about to explode or catch on fire or something horrible (almost worse than the nails on a chalkboard sound). So I rushed in the room and tried turning the monitor off, and the sound stopped. I wasn't sure if it was a one-time fluke, but it repeated again the next time the monitor was on for a while (although I tried to make a point of turning it off when I didn't REALLY need it on at the time).

Today the buzzing started immediately when I turned the monitor on. The only good part about that is it was an instant reminded to submit an RMA claim for my Asus monitor with a 3 year "Rapid Replacement" warranty. I submitted this online, received an e-mail, but there was no mention of the advertised Rapid Replacement, or the fact that Asus advertises that they pay shipping both ways. Rapid Replacement is supposed to ship a replacement monitor as soon as the bad monitor is shipped out, so I would think around 1-3 days downtime at most. HOWEVER, apparently all Asus had to do to get out of replacing the monitor in this way is say that the model isn't currently in-stock. Do they tell you they'll ship a replacement in a few days, after they locate one, or have stock available? Nope! They immediately send you through the more tedious "repair" process, then tell you that if the monitor is deemed non-repairable, they'll then replace it with the current model or possibly a different model if they don't have the current model.

So I asked how long this process would take. All I wanted to know was what the minimum and maximum amount of time that my "Rapid Replacement" warranty service would have me down for now. The rep had no response. I asked if it would at least be a maximum of 2 weeks, or a max of 1 month, or 6 months? He had no response other than to say he couldn't give me any type of maximum timeframe at all.

So then I asked to speak to a supervisor, thinking surely they can put themselves in the customer's shoes and understand how ridiculous of a response that was. I basically got the same run-around from the supervisor, with a few new twists. I told the supervisor, like I had told the previous rep, that I was just online looking on several different web sites and saw this exact model available on every site I went to, and none of them indicated low stock. So it's not as if it's discontinued or in short supply. I even said that what a company should do, and typically does from my experience, is replace the defective product with a model that is equal or better in comparison to the product the company doesn't have. I mean it's not the customer's fault you don't have this model in-stock, right? By the end of the call, he told me he would submit for an escalation asking for a replacement model, and that if that was approved, I MIGHT receive a replacement of equal or LESSER value. "Um, did you mean to say equal or greater value?" Nope, he confirmed, "equal or LESSER" value. Hmm, seems like a backwards way to do business, if you're trying to satisfy your customers and not make your defective products the customer's problem, doesn't it?

Needless to say, I will never be purchasing another Asus product again, nor will I recommend Asus to anyone. This experience was beyond sub-par, so I can't in good conscience, recommend them anymore.

If some seemingly miraculous change happens with this case and the Asus gods swoop in and make this all better somehow, I will update my review. ;-) And if not, I may add a few videos to this review so you can hear the very disturbing buzz, and maybe even the ridiculous responses from support (since it was on a recorded line).

UPDATE 6/15/17:

I've been meaning to submit an update and finally got around to it. Asus never called me back. The escalation must have been all talk because I never heard from anybody after that point. And when I tried calling them back, they acted as if I never called the first time, but gave me the same run around all over again, and still no call back. Wow, such a popular monitor available everywhere, and twice now Asus does not have it in stock, how convenient right?

My monitor continues to buzz like it's going to explode if I forget to turn it off. Sometimes it does it immediately when I turn it on. And sometimes when I turn it off to stop the loud buzzing, then turn it back on, the buzzing continues. Like others have mentioned here, I think I'm switching back to Viewsonic monitors as well. As for all other components in PCs that I build, I'll be switching to anything that isn't Asus.
1414 comments| 395 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 5, 2012
First off to address the complaints of "graininess" observed by some owners due to the matte finish: Lower your brightness! The pearly shimmery effect is only noticeble at the maximum 100% brightness which is around 270 cd/m2 (~20 cd/m2 higher than advertised). However, at the max brightness level, most users would find it uncomfortable to use for more than 30 minutes anyway. The factory settings are only set to this max limit to impress buyers in stores and when they turn on the monitor for the first time! The recommended comfortable brightness level for any monitor during regular use is 120 cd/m2 which translates to a setting of 35-40% brightness on this model. The user can easily change this setting through the OSD menu using the built in buttons.

Pros:
Price - Comparable e-IPS displays from other manufacturers are $200+ (see LG)

e-IPS panel - Viewable from virtually any angle

Matte display - Reflections from nearby lights do not impact the display. Great for nightime/sunlight users.

Negligible ghosting - 5ms response time combined with the built in Trace-free feature set to 60 eliminates most ghosting. This makes the monitor great for gaming and HD video watching. Only professional FPS players would need a higher response time.

Thin - Roughly the thickness of a MacBook Pro! Very slim on a desk or a mount

100mm VESA - Standard mounting holes w/ removable black rubber covers to hide the holes for users that prefer to rock the stand (blends in if not mounted)

Power efficient - 24-30 W after calibration

3 yr warranty/exchange: Asus will replace your monitor within 3 years and pay for shipping both ways. I haven't tried this myself, but I hear Asus customer service is above average for the industry.

Thinner than average bezel

Matte back - Has a carbon-fiber-like texture on the back that makes it look modern

Cons:
No built in gamma correction - Must be adjusted using your video card

e-IPS - Unlike higher quality IPS panels there is a very small amount of color/gamma distortion if viewed at an angle. However it is still exponentially better than any TN panel. Higher quality panels that completely remove thus effect cost $400+ currently and only graphic designers/photo editors really need that level of color accuracy.

$40 more than cheap TN panels - Extra cost for the latest gen display. Better viewing angles and colors. You be the judge.

Recommended calibration settings:
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 80
Red: 100
Green: 100
Blue: 98
Trace free: 60

These are the settings I came up with after calibration. They can be used as a starting point or ballpark figures if you don't feel like spending hours reading up on monitor calibration techniques. Your actual ideal monitor might vary slightly.

TL:DR
Best price/value monitor currently on the market <$200
1010 comments| 483 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 3, 2012
So far I am very satisfied with the monitors. These are actually my first IPS and I can say I am simply amazed and the picture. Before I go on let me post my settings because out of the box settings are the WORST and will make you want to return the item.

Splendid: Theater
Saturation: 70
Color Temp: User Mode with all colors maxed
Skin Tone: Natural
Smart View: Off

With those settings everything should look great IMO. I actually bought 3 monitors because I am running SLI configuration for programming and for gaming. Because I have such a small desk, at the moment, I had to angle the monitors 75 degrees from the center monitor. So if you can picture that in your mind, I want to say I have NO problem seeing anything. The colors still look great and gaming is just as fun. Only problem (this is not the monitors fault) is my head hurts from turning lol, just wanted to share that :P

Some might ask if the 21 inch is too small. I can say I was worried about this too because I was using my PS3 3d display beforehand and can say that text is a fraction of a bit smaller. Unless you have really bad eyes, these monitors are perfect size. I also like the size because I have heard the bigger you go, the more you can see the LED backlight. In my case I can say on a totally black screen I see MINOR backlighting; nothing that would make the screen look awful, don't let that turn you away from the monitor.

Some reviewers have had bad outcomes with dead pixels and what not, I bought 3. Not one of them has had any problem except for user error. This user error was I thought all 3 monitors were dead because when I "touched" the power button it didn't respond. Don't fall victim like I did, the power button is under the screen, it is not a fancy touch sensitive button like I thought, again user error. You have plenty of connection options except display port but that is alright because I prefer DVI and HDMI so it really is user preference. No speakers but again doesn't bother me, I use a headset. Lastly, the design is sleek but the stand feels cheap. Just touching the monitor a little and you will notice a bouncing effect (monitor rocks back and forth). This could have been made better but I don't plan on moving them or touching them so not a big deal breaker.

So overall I am very happy with the purchase. The picture looks great at all angles, the frame rate if perfect (even for hardcore gaming, tested BF3 with ultra-settings, SLI 670s, and all three monitors in surround mode and it was PERFECT/BREATHTAKING), and the price couldn't be any more appealing for IPS. You will easily tell the difference from TN to IPS and you will never go back. Thank you for reading the review, if you would like to know more and any questions PLEASE leave a comment. I tend to check my amazon comments often and will do what I can to better help you.

Posted pictures, comment if you need more or anything else. I also want to update that the first thing I did when I got these monitors was run over to YouTube and play a Dead Pixel Color Test. This allowed me to check every pixel and confirmed that all 3 monitors were flawless.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
3737 comments| 257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2016
I got this gem for 89$ after a 20$ rebate from Asus. How can you go wrong with 24 inches Asus for 89$??!! Came yesterday and I immediately hooked it up.

Packaging - The monitor in Asus box is very well packaged, Amazon put it in a MUCH bigger box with stuffing's and made it very secure for shipping.

-Assembly -Took all of 30 seconds to pull out the round-ish plate desktop stand and attach to the neck stand already part of the monitor. To my surprise, the plate had a nice size bolt in it with a flat blade screwdriver slot..but...there is a small swivel handle attached to the bolt, lift it up and you simply use it to turn the bolt and attach plate to neck, then fold swivel back down and its good to go! All of 30 seconds, incredibly nice touch for such an inexpensive monitor.

Picture - Not what I expected here, there are 4 or 5 preset you get by pushing thru one button.For displaying windows it looks perfect on any setting, absolutely no issues there but then I put in a DVD movie and also tested on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I don't know who came up with these values for each but they are all terrible, 3 of them make the monitor look all washed out like a VHS tape from late 70's and the other 2, Scenery and Theater I think add some color but they are over contrast and saturated, yet though after watching a movie for a bit on the Scenery it didn't seem so bad. But they really do stink. I suggest you do what I did, go thru the menu system and write down the color - contrast.- brightness settings for each, find one that's close to what you can stomach and then adjust to your taste. After that I was happy. The instructions are terrible, just a description of the specific function for each and then their functions for operating the menu system. I say they are terrible because they did only that , and there is no explanation for terminology or what other things meant in the menu, I no newbie, I'll look on the web site for better explanation of "slpendid" or "splendor" some auto control you can mess with I think? Not a real big hit though.

Features & Stuff - I was very surprised to see that with the power cable a VGA and DVI cable was included. There is no HDMI cable though, I wasn't expecting any and the VGA and DVI is a big plus for a budget monitor. (henforce implies VGA, DVI HDMI inputs). The stand besides having the nifty swivel screw in device will also allow you to till it up and down a good amount and it stays in place nicely, not like other junk monitors that just slump down and stay there. VESA mounts, a shocker at this level as other name brand pricier monitors do not include this. There is also a head phone jack which is supper nice feature, its audio from HDMI. That's great because all speakers on monitors really stink, just read any review of one that has them, so rather than drive up cost and waste money on features you can use, Asus puts it to a high quality head phone interface the you can then use your headphones or send a wired or wireless signal to your GOOD speakers. For control there are 5 buttons on lower right underneath, for power, contrast, brightness, menu and something else I cant remember, and then a function for menu control. The menu is quite extensive allows you alot of control and you can also adjust audio from there, a place not easy to regularly get to so set just once and then use your source or your speakers to adjust. If you are driving speakers do not set this to the highest level, set it to mid at most, as the higher you go the more distortion you will get, this is true and same concept of amp and pre-amp let the amp do the bulk of work. 2ms is very fast, and unexpected again for this proce point, but I'm not a gamer but it will be a noticeable feature in action movies which I watch alot.

Other Thoughts - So despite my comments on the pre-sets I love this monitor ! 24 inches, tons of room for all the windows I have open for engineering and a big screen to watch movies and your 16:9 pictures and home videos will look like never before on these. A tilt-able stand - vesa mount supports, 3 video ports - audio and Asus quality all for 89$ It's a no brainer, even the 109$ is more than worth it. I will probably get another. One word of reviewers who complain about picture quality - spend more money and get a better monitor, being so picky about video quality here is like buying a 4 cylinder 110hp engine and complaining that you can't keep up with a 754 hp Dodge Hellcat. My eyes are crappy anyway so there is no need to buy a high end monitor, even if you have good eyes you will love this monitor.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2016
This may get a little long but bear with me :) Having never brought monitors before I spent a lot of time looking on the Internet and reading reviews. I was looking for a reasonably spec game monitor around $150.

I soon realized the specs and size I was aiming for would cost more even if i included black Friday deals. After much consideration I purchased this monitor.

Two months in I love how fast it responds while gaming with no ghosting. The colors out of the box are terrible and I did have to mess with the color options. I would HIGHLY suggest you review a few things:

1. While I don't know if this is still true check out the review 'Awesome but beware' by Frank a. Hurtado about different companies making this monitor. Make this item a gift when you purchase it for easier return.
2. Check out 'You get what you paid for' by Nick for helpful ideas on changing color options. If you hate dealing with options I would suggest you at LEAST change the skin tone to neutral (removes the ugly yellow tint people complain about) and lower the brightness.
3. Try different view modes since font quality is not great on scenery
4. There is no HDMI cable so you will need to buy one
5. Keep the box! They require you to use same box if you ever need to have it repaired.

Overall I would recommend this monitor.
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2013
The Asus VS247H-P is a good budget monitor for console or pc gamers looking to get a monitor with crisp images, great contrast and depth in shadows and highlights, as well as a very quick response time. The monitor soon falls behind when you want to do anything more than quick performance.

The color depth on the panel I received was subpar for a TN monitor at this price range, and for video and photo editing I began to have issues distinguishing colors and getting them where I needed. On the pannel I received I had non-linear saturation performance across all colors, and it was especially bad in yellows and violets. The yellows and violets also seemed to have the worst hue accuracy; I often found the yellows to quickly tint green or orange as I changed the hue settings even slightly. The colors on this pannel are vibrant and the great contrast ratio of the pannel adds to the performance, but I would not recommend this monitor to someone looking to any type of editing work.

On the the other hand I can see who Asus is aiming this monitor at; the gamer who wants fast performance at a very low cost. This monitor offers a blistering response time of 2ms and I had no issues with ghosting or artifacts at any frame rate. The dynamic range of the monitor is impressive for the price and I was able to see detail in highlights and shadows with no issues. This is the selling point of the monitor in my opinion, and it does it very well.

Pros of the Asus VS247H-P:
- Affordable for a 23.6" pannel (it's not really 24")
- Bright, even backlight
- Impressive contrast ratio and dynamic range
- Good maximum saturation levels
- Impressive response time (2ms)
- Easy to navigate menus, good calibration ability
- Lightweight, sturdy frame
- Easy to wall mount

Cons of the Asus VS247H-P:
- Below average color performance for a TN pannel
- Major issues with hue and saturation accuracy
- Below average viewing angles for a TN pannel
- Connections on back are perpendicular to the back, making it difficult to mount flush to a wall
- The stand is a bit wobbly, could be improved

One thing to know is that one monitor may not perform identically to another due to the nature of pannel manufacturing and design, so I may have ended up with a pannel that performs less than average. Even so, the color performance and especially accuracy on the Asus VS247H-P is not up to par with the rest of the monitor's performance. Where this monitor shines is its performance for media like gaming and video. I would recommend this monitor to the average gamer looking to get good performance for their money. I would not recommend this monitor for the editor looking to get serious performance. Is it worth the price? Maybe, but if you want to get even more bang for the buck then I would recommend the very similar ASUS VS239H-P which is an IPS pannel only .6" smaller diagonally and offers the same contrast ratio, clarity, far better color performance across the chart, and an IPS pannel for outstanding color accuracy and viewing angles.
on July 26, 2016
I've had the original 'Good' version since 2013 when they came out, and as you can see in the pictures, the 'Bad' model is much more yellow and less blue than the original. I've filed for a replacement with hopefully a good model and will update the review to five stars if I happen to get that one instead. Having used the original since they came out I will say though that if you do get the good version it's a fantastic monitor, it's not too overbearing on the eyes and colors are mostly true with a little change here and there on the monitor and maybe your graphics card. I love this monitor when it's the good one, and I didn't realize how poorly washed out the 'bad' version was until I got mine in the mail today. Also the height difference doesn't matter that much to me but the bad version feels much less sturdy at the base.

I'll update when I get the replacement monitor and hopefully bump this up to five stars, but for now it's a solid 4 based on the original monitor and a 3 on the 2015 model.

Again: Left is the Good version, right is the bad version. It's much more apparent in person as well.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 29, 2017
This monitor was GREAT, at first. I have owned this monitor for about 10 months at this point, and I originally purchased 3 of them... In the last week, I have had pixels constantly going dead on me, on ALL of the monitors. I believe I am still within my warranty, and will try and get a swap. I will update my review as things progress.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 21, 2015
The best part about this monitor is the price. This was my first monitor purchase. I am trying to create a desktop set up for my 13" macbook air.

Pros:
-Price
-Size - it is relatively thin and light
-once calibrated the screen can look nice and viewing angles are great
-So far I have no compatibility issues using this with a mac running 10.10.1

Cons
-out of the box the calibration was terrible and all the presets were also terrible - and I am not a photographer or graphics artist etc. I know very little about proper colors but I could just tell things were off.
-the base is basically unusable without some kind of workaround

If you plan on doing any serious typing at your desk while using this monitor and your desk isn't made out of a solid block of wood you will have an intolerable amount of wobbling. I didn't think it could be that bad with so many 5 star reviews. IT IS THAT BAD.

Luckily there are a few options to rectify this. You can buy a good vesa mount monitor stand to replace the stock stand. But this will increase the total cost and then you might have been better off buying a pricier monitor. OR you can find something to stabilize the ends of the monitor. I am using stacks of books on either side of the monitor to stabilize it. Working pretty well so far although I probably won't be able to easily access the controls or the on/off button using this method.
review image
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse