VTech Movie Magic Digicam
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Takes 2.0 megapixel still photos, 1.8" color screen
- 4x digital zoom
- Records VGA movies with 640 x 480 resolution
- 256 MB internal memory
- SD card slot (memory card sold separately)
Customers also shopped for
Give your child the thrill of movie making with the V Tech Movie Magic Digicam. This digital video camera lets your child shoot his or her own home movies and take pictures that can be uploaded to your computer or viewed on your television. Designed for cinematographers ages four and up, the Digicam features durable construction and kid-friendly controls for fun and easy movie making.
This durable, kid-friendly digital camera records videos and takes pictures. View larger.
Built especially for kids, the Digicam has durable housing and rubber trim to help prevent damage. With a large handle, built-in anti-shake correction, easy-to-press buttons, and a 1.8-inch viewing screen, the Digicam makes it easy for kids to shoot their masterpieces.
Video Editing, Photo Effects, and More
This Digicam records VGA movies with 640 by 480 resolution. Once your child starts filming, the video camera offers plenty of fun features to add more pizzazz to the picture. The 4x digital zoom and special face-tracking animation lets kids add fun special effects to the show. And when it comes time for polishing footage, the Digicam offers built-in video editing.
|Use the built-in video editor to add fun special effects and animations to your projects!|
The camera also takes 2.0-megapixel still pictures, which kids can decorate with Digicam's cool digital stamps and borders. Kids can also entertain themselves with the camera's three built-in games that incorporate their photos.
View Videos and Pictures on Your Computer or TV
The camera comes equipped with 256 MB of internal memory, with the option to add memory using the SD card slot (memory card sold separately).
Video and pictures can be viewed directly on the Digicam, uploaded to your personal computer using the included USB cable (AVI file format), or viewed on a TV or monitor by connecting the Digicam with the included AV cable.
The camera requires four AA batteries.
What's in the Box
Digicam, USB cable, AV cable, and wrist strap.
Top customer reviews
This has been dropped and banged MANY times and yet it still works
My kid is more then happy to use this
It has games built in for more fun
It does drain the batteries pretty fast with constant play
The quality could be a bit better but after all it is a toy so keep that in mind
From the perspective of the adult who spent her hard-earned money on this contraption, though, there are a few issues that I think are worth noting. I've listed the pro's and con's below. Overall, the camera is an excellent purchase for the money (I got it for around $30) and I highly recommend it for kids 3-9.
- Very "tough" casing that has already withstood being dropped, tossed, smeared with food, etc.
- Good sized grip at base to make it easier for small hands to handle and mash buttons without dropping or becoming frustrated
- Big "OK" button makes it super simple to know how to take a photo
- Sound effects on every click so the child knows when a photo has been taken and when a button has responded to his/her touch
- Auto shut-off after 15 minutes or so to conserve battery life
- Easy enough interface for even a 3-year-old to master taking photos and videos, but has features that she can grow into and master for years to come (games, effects, etc)
- Simple but fun time-killing games that use the photos on your camera
- REALLY cool effects. For example, take a photo with your face on a cartoon vampire body, or add a birthday hat, cake, candles, and streamers to a video while you're recording! You also have the option to add the effects to the videos on the camera after you record them.
- Comes with bright and colorful cables that make it easy to connect to both the computer and TV for viewing
- Can accept large SD cards (I've tested up to 8GB)
- Photos tend to come out blurry unless you're in a very brightly lit room or outside on a sunny day
- There is no obvious "playback" button (viewing photos/videos is accomplished by pressing down arrow), which is somewhat confusing, especially initially. I had played with the camera before giving it to the child so knew that down brought up photos and left brought you back to the screen, but if not, it would have been a big problem the first night she was playing with it.
- Significant delay between pressing down arrow to view photos and time that photos actually appear on the screen, even with high-speed SD card
- If it really has the "Image Stabilization" that it claims, it needs improvement
- Camera would benefit greatly from a flash
- Photos camera takes might also come out less blurry if it was more than a 2.0mp camera (but that seems to be the highest quality kid-camera on the market right now)
I expected poor quality images since it is a kids' camera, but they are actually better than I expected. The image quality is quite good for the price as long as you have ample lighting. The only problem that I have had with the camera is the connection to the tv being frequently lost while watching videos. Jiggling the cord or moving it at all seems to lose the connection, and it's impossible to hold it completely still while operating the playback mode straight from the camera. So we are constantly reconnecting.
I would have given this camera 5 stars except that you really do need good lighting to take good pictures or videos. But you can't beat it for the price when you can find it discounted. And I seem to be having more fun with it than the kids!
In regards to specifics, it has a 2MP camera with 4x digital zoom, a 1.5" color screen, and shoots videos in 320x240 resolution (or 160x120 in low resolution mode) - These specs may seem low but my kids did not notice one bit. It has a slot to accept secure digital cards, a 1/8" port to output the video to a TV, and a USB port to connect to PC. It was very nice of Vtech to include the connection cables.
Video and picture won't drive you to replace your other digital cameras/camcorders but it's perfect for the toy's target age group. The digicam has several built-in backgrounds and effects that can be easily applied to videos/camera stills - Within 10 minutes, my kids were recording videos, taking pictures, and "editing" them on the camera. Another minor but cool feature is that the digicam has a few built-in games that can be played on the screen using the directional thumbpad.
Overall, I am very satisfied owner of this toy. I sometimes wish I bought 2 of them because it holds my kids' attention for quite awhile.