Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 56 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 70 reviews
on January 15, 2012
I purchased the leap frog letter learning tablet before purchasing this one and was very disappointed. This letter tablet is far superior. The leap frog tablet uses a series of lights under the screen that light up and the child traces the dots, leaving a irregular pattern on many letters. In my opinion this teaches the child to make the shape of the letter wrong. This vtech tablet has the letters shaped correctly, so the child learns to write the letter correctly. This one fact was so important that I got rid of the leap frog and gave my daughter the vtech for Christmas. She loves it, spends so much time learning her letters. There are some child game systems out there that offer letter tracing as a part of the system, but I found this a better option for my daughter because I wanted her to focus on the letter writing and not be distracted by the other games.
on December 29, 2011
My son is 3 1/2. He has no attention span and likes things that involve running, jumping, etc. It is difficult to get him to do anything that involves little physical movement. However, he seems to like this toy. We have had it about a 3 days and this is my take on it.

Pros:

* It has both capital and lower case letters
* The writing surface is easy to use and accurate
* It tell my son he has done a great job when he actually traces the letter correctly. If he does a poor job on the letter and hits the check to say his is done, it asks him to retry tracing the letter.
* It seems durable and has already taken a tumble out of the van door into a puddle. It is working fine.
* It has a shape tracing and free draw activity. There is also a hiding letter game which is good.
* you can turn down the volume.

Cons: Just a few...
* I wish that it started in the capital letter activity instead of requiring the child to select it.
* I wish that they had the same device but added a number activity to it
* The little pen is a bit thick for my son
* I wish that it did not say "see ya" when it was turned off. My son has started saying that which is annoying and he keeps turning it on and off just to hear the "see ya." It really is not the game's fault he knows how to push my buttons ;) However, I do not like slang so I would have preferred something like "I'll see you later" or "until next time"
on March 28, 2013
I purchased this for my 3 year old daughter to practice letter recognition and writing. She had absolutely NO interest in the alphabet workbooks I had purchased to get her started with learning and tracing letters, no interest in alphabet coloring books, flashcards, etc. I was not very hopeful when I got this toy but it was another chance so I took it. It did take her a few days to understand that she had to press a function button to choose which activity she wanted, but every kid at this age needs some practice with toys like this. Once she got the hang of that, she started tracing the letters on screen and she does a really good job. She does get easily frustrated so sometimes she will re-do the tracing a few times until it is "perfect" in her mind, but she does enjoy the toy and has really learned a lot from it. Before purchasing this, she could only recognize the letters A, O, T, and Q and she could only write A and T. Now, probably 3 or 4 weeks after purchase, she can recognize A, B, C, L, O, Q, S, T, W, and X. She can write (on her own without tracing) A, L, O, T, and X. I'd recommend this product to anyone with a child who needs help with letters and other methods have failed, or in addition to other methods. The only thing I don't like about the toy besides the function button is that it includes a game where you have to guess which letter is hiding behind the animal and it's really hard to tell so it gets frustrating for my daughter and I imagine other children, especially when they don't know all of the letters yet as is. I am, however, looking forward to purchasing the version of this toy that teaches numbers.
on December 15, 2013
This toy is simple, sturdy and enjoyable. My daughter would pick it up for five or ten minutes at a time and practice her writing. She can write most of the letters of the alphabet in large part to the toy (She lives in a non-English speaking environment) and it helped her writing. It's not high tech, and it doesn't have to be. Sure, the graphics suck, the sound is bad and the screen is small. But it's just a simple writing practice device and not a TV.

And about letter formation. I've taught the alphabet to many kids, and I've used many different workbooks. Every book has different ways to write. So really, I don't see how anyone can say that it's writing the letters the 'wrong way.'

+5 stars because it does what it says it will do. It's durable, and can help make writing fun for your kids. Obviously not a replacement for parenting, nor is it a "sit here and play for 3 hours in the car cuz I don't want to talk to you" toy. (That seems like a reason some parents buy toys?)
on December 4, 2012
One of the best toys i have purchase for my 4 year old in a long time. i had a choice between this and the Leapfrog version but after reading several reviews from different websites i choose the VTech. Its durable and engaging for a child like mine that is rough and can't sit still. It is the first toy he reaches for when he comes through the door.

There are two things though that they can improve on:
1) the size of the screen; the leapfrog version has a much larger screen
2) contrast on the screen; it is hard to see in some lighting situations.
on August 14, 2013
I bought this toy for my daughter's 4th birthday. We were excited when we first got it. It's a nice toy for confidence in learning to write. However, if you have younger children and don't keep this toy put out of reach at all times you will find the toy unusable until you relocate the stylus that pops off very easily. My 2 year old has popped the stylus off several times. If you are busy & forget to put the toy up after each & every use, you may endure the same frustration I'm encountering. I don't know why they would make a toy for preschoolers that so easily comes apart. I normally give good reviews & am not picky, but I would not have bought this toy if I would've known it came apart like this. If you don't have younger kids or if you're super organized then it is a fine toy to have.
on January 20, 2014
Great way to teach little ones their writing! I have 4 year old twins (they were 3 at time) they got their writing down faster with this, because it was looked at as a toy and fun to do, and every time they got a letter right they got all excited, great way to learn and the price is right!
on October 23, 2013
This VTech tablet keeps my kids entertained for quite a while, and I'm pleased that it's educational. However, the pen's cord is a little short, and the stem of the pen separates from the tip (that keeps it attached to the tablet) too easily. Our pen stem went MIA for a couple weeks and I have to keep my eye on it very closely to make sure it doesn't separate and get lost again.
on January 14, 2014
My granddaughter loves this "computer" as it helps her with letter formations and sounds. A good addition to pre-K education.
on October 9, 2013
This is a great concept and my grandson enjoys using it, when he can see what he is writing. There is no backlight so in dimly lit locations it can't be seen without straining his eyes. If it the screen were backlit I would give the product 5 stars. He doesn't enjoy it and use it as often as he would if he could see it better.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.