Truck Reviews HPC Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

The Original Vacu Vin Wine Saver with 2 Vacuum Stoppers - Black
Color: Black with 2 wine stoppers|Change

on May 8, 2017
I own an "Original Vacu Vin Wine Saver". We've used it so much over the years that it needed to be replaced. So, with that, I bought this one, and it is not the same product.

The pump does not click when a sufficient vacuum has been pulled. It's cheap and wobbly. The two stoppers it came with are made of a rubbery black material. There is no "Vacu Vin" labeling on the pump. This appears to be some cheap knock off.
129 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on January 29, 2018
Returned, don't recommend it.

What is pictured and what's actually being sold are two completely different products. I received a plastic bag (no box, no logos) with 2 rubber stoppers and a cheap plastic pump. The stoppers smelled strongly of rubber and couldn't hold a seal on a bottle. The pump doesn't provide enough vacuum and it doesn't make any clicks. Made in the Netherlands? Not really, there is no country of origin on any of the items.

My original review wasn't published, I imagine there are many other 1-star reviews that are being hidden.
25 people found this helpful
on July 7, 2016
My wife loves red wine. I don't. We're also poor. This means that when we open a bottle, she's had to do one of two things.

1) Drink it all at once. This leaves my 90lb wife in a pile on the bathroom floor. No fun.
2) Leave it open. The cheap stuff we buy goes bad pretty darn fast. She either drinks the stale wine, or makes sangria.

This was a nice cheap vacuum that worked well and held a seal on a variety of sized bottles. My wife can enjoy a glass a day all week and not feel guilty about it going bad. I won't say that it's saved my marriage or anything like that, but it's nice little addition to our kitchen.
103 people found this helpful
on March 10, 2016
I love wine, but not every day, and not a whole bottle at a time (like my ex). Living alone, I almost never open a bottle unless friends are over for dinner. But with this pump, I can, and it lets me salvage any leftover juice. On average, red wine has lasted me 2-3 more days than if I wasn't using the pump.

I noticed some folks were complaining about the lack of instructions. Guys, it's a pump. It takes out air. You put the stopper in the bottle, pump on top, and... pump out the air. When you hear a click, which is apparently a patented indicator held by Vacu Vin, you know you've reached "optimum vacuum level." Easy as taking a swig.

The stoppers are made of rubber and the pump is plastic. It feels cheap (expected for the price) but I've dropped it here and there and it stands up to my abuse.

I even use the Vacu Vin to keep other things fresh, like coffee. Suddenly, empty wine bottles have many more uses.
7 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2017
Works very well, I give a couple extra pumps after the click sound. Wine definitely tastes better then just re-corking it for later. I can stretch out a bottle over 4 days of my favorite Malbec so this allows me to have the amount I should have 1 glass a night for good health with a meal. By night 4 there is a little oxidation but not nearly as much as you would have without the product, first 2 days are excellent since it removes much of the air in the bottle reducing the effect of the exposure greatly. I am pleased and this is saving some bucks on purchasing more wine then I need so that its fresh.
5 people found this helpful
on April 18, 2016
I bought this about 3.5 years ago for my husband and he's been using it ever since. It was the first vacuum pump he had ever tried with his wine bottles so we really didn't think much of it. It did what it was supposed to do and you can feel it working with each pump getting gradually harder as the air into bottle runs out. When it is completely vacuumed the pump makes a clicking noise to indicate that you are done. Easy-Peasy.

Well recently I bought my husband a new pump that came with 6 stoppers since sometimes we have parties and have more than two bottles left open and unfinished. The new one I got is a different brand entirely but I liked it because it had plenty of extra stoppers. Turns out this one is so much better!! The other one makes no indication of when you are done sucking out the air. The pumps don't get easier so the first pump feels the same as the 100th pump. When you pull the pump off the little stopper does seem to be secure but you can pull it out without pushing the air release button so it can't work that well. Anyhow, all this to say this Vacu Vin Wine Saver is the one to get. I will just buy some more little stoppers for the pump we already have and return the pump I just bought that was more money and didn't work.
5 people found this helpful
on January 22, 2018
I found this version to be adequate for what it is intended to do. You put the vacuum stopper on your wine bottle in place of the cork, then you pump out air through the one way air vent on the stopper. After the pump gives you enough resistance, you have removed a significant chunk of air from your wine bottle.

The problem is that the wine that is inside your bottle has already been exposed to a lot of air upon initial opening. Don't be fooled into thinking that you will have unlimited amounts of time to finish your bottle. I would say that your wine will have maybe an extra day or two tops before it starts to lose it's quality. I have definitely had wines where I have pumped the crap out of them and had them go completely bad about a week later.
2 people found this helpful
on February 24, 2016
This is a cheap way to extend the life of your wine and not feel like you need to drink the entire bottle in one sitting. Maybe you don't "need" to, but this will help. After I open a bottle, immediately vacuum the bottle. It will easily be fresh the second day. I can't taste a discernible difference between the first opening and second day. It holds up well a third day later also. I've tried 4-5 days later but it's not for me. Maybe it's still drinkable but I don't.

PRO TIP: Other reviewers have stated that they have a difficult time pumping till they hear the click. I'm really not sure why they are having issues. It must be their form. My fiance can do it as well and she is no bodybuilder. Place your wine bottle on a flat surface and make sure you are above it. If you are at a table, make sure it's stable and can handle you pushing down with force on it. I would suggest placing the bottle on a kitchen counter or even the floor than a table. To get the best angle, be sure you are above the pump.
4 people found this helpful
on April 8, 2018
I've used this a few times since I bought it about 6 weeks ago and never have gotten the "click." I've had my husband try, I've pumped 40 or so times and still nothing. I get a weak seal at best with wine that tastes off the following day.

I figured maybe I had gotten a dud, but after reading several recent reviews it seems that the issue is more common than I thought. I'm glad I only spent $8 or so, but disappointed in the poor product I received. Nowhere on the pump or corks does it say Vacuvin which makes me wonder if this is some type of cheap knock off.
One person found this helpful
on September 30, 2017
After searched around and read many reviews, I ended up buying this wine saver (a plastic hand pump and two plugs) which is the #1 best seller in wine accessories and has a rating of 4.5 stars out of >2K reviews. Tried it a few days, and it's a total disappointment. Perhaps it used to be a good product but the quality went south, or I got a defective part. The one I received does not work well and only produces a weak vacuum that doesn't last even a day. Every time when I pull the handle up, it makes a whistle-like high frequency noise that is very unpleasant to hear. The description says that the vacuum will be ready when you hear the patented "click" sound. That never even happened once. I have no way to tell if the vacuum is ready at all. Complained to Amazon customer service and got a refund. Hands up for Amazon, hands down for this product. I wish there is an option to give zero start. Save your money and get a real wine saver, and don't waste time on this piece of junk.
One person found this helpful