BCA Month Salon Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(4 star). See all 150 reviews
on August 4, 2017
We picked up the first book in the series at a thrift store recently and enjoyed it, so we ordered this book. I believe that one was her first novel. This one showed definite improvement in her writing skills, over the first. This novel was fast-paced, her vision of Faerie is interesting, as are the characters, so I didn't mind that it was written for a YA audience. We will order the third book soon.
on July 31, 2010
After finishing Tithe, which was just ok, I decided to continue on with Valiant. I must say it was MUCH better.

This book dives straight into the plot without the confusing introduction that was in Tithe. The first chapter gives you just the right amount of background to understand Val's state of mind in the rest of the book. It catches your interest right from the beginning, but it does not keep going and going and going to drag the plot down.

As the book continues on, you are introduced to a group of troubled teens who are well developed characters that, regardless of who you are, you can relate to on some level. This book was much more believable and enjoyable because of this.

The faeries in this book are similar to the teens: troubled yet well developed. You find yourself drawn to the faeries and also relating to them. I also found myself falling for a troll in this novel and rooting for the creature.

All in all, because of the much better and less co fusing writing and the well developed characters, I will continue to finish the rest of this series. I am hoping Ironside continues the getting better trend.
on April 13, 2011
I didn't really go into this book with many, if any, expectations because I already knew that it was going to have little to do with the first book Tithe. In this one the author didn't jump into the story right away. There was some lead up to the events and a little more explanation this time which I liked. Her descriptions of how it is to live on the streets of NY seemed so well put that I actually began to feel cold and dirty reading it. I, again, had a hard time picturing these characters so I just made up my own description and images of them (didn't mess with the story any, I just like to picture the characters clearly in my head).

If I were Val in this book I would have done a lot of punching in the face starting with dear old mom. I like the kind of bad a** Val was...a complete human willing to do anything for the "creature" she loved.

There's not much, good or bad, that I can say about this book...It just registers right there in the middle. Nice ending, it didn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside and it didn't have me throwing it aside ready to move on. Altogether, not a bad story and I'm glad I read it.
VINE VOICEon August 24, 2009
Starting off, I will say I was disappointed this did not pick up where Tithe left off. We got all new characters within the same world and Kaye and Roiben weren't reintroduced until late in the book, and dismissed just as quickly. That said, I did love this new story in that world.

While I did enjoy some of the new characters, most of the misfits were just scummy. I didn't understand why they would choose to live in an abandoned train station if taking Never made it so easy to get what they wanted; why not get an apartment? But at the base, they were just "drug" addicts, so I can almost understand the need for the fix and not really caring, but still.

The plot was new and enjoyable; the characters deliver packages (Never) to faeries that are outcast. Never helps these Faeries live in the city keep from getting too sick from the iron they are exposed to. When humans take Never though, they are able to, for a time, develop faerie powers such as illusions and glamour. It made for a vey interesting read, and also a sad, hard lesson in drug abuse.

The end was satsifying and I could hardly wait to start reading Ironside after that!
on March 5, 2014
This is a well developed tale with typical high school angst and some parental issues added as well. a good escape from the daily grind. I like the way the author develops the story.
on September 6, 2010
Holly Black's second modern tale of faerie leaves Tithe's Kaye and Roiben in NJ. This tale introduces new characters all living in some sort of exile in NYC. Faeries exiled from both the Seelie and Unseelie court are introduced and interact with new human characters, Lolli, Dave, Luis and Val.

Hard images of drug addiction, prejudice, family dysfunction, and homelessness are seen through the once innocent eyes of heroine, Val. Through the pen of Holly Black, the reader sees Val cope with horrors and adjust to heart-wrenching conditions. However, Val also finds solace and the freedom to love that comes from forgiveness.

This is a touching story that again shows the guiding force of humanity and concern for others as the key to self-realization and happiness.
on September 2, 2014
Once again Holly Black has drawn me so into a book I forgot to sleep and eat temporarily. Her writing paints a vivid picture and draws you in.
on October 20, 2012
I must say that enjoy books that flirt with Fantasy in a way that wraps around the real world. This series does this well. Val is a character you can follow through her world and want to help. You will find yourself looking for her when walking the streets.
on March 18, 2014
I loved Tithe and looked forward to sequel. Note that this is a companion with completely different characters, but still a well-written story with a kick ass heroine.
on June 2, 2014
I'm quite shocked, really....!

The Tithe was a very poorly constructed book IMO, and I didn't enjoy reading it at all!
The characters were weak and silly, the plot was choppy at best and the writing style was incredibly sloppy:/
In short, it was a book that tried too hard to be edgy at the expense of the story..

I had read it quite a while ago and had completely given up on the idea of reading any more Holly Black as a bad joke!

The girl at the local bookstore insisted that the second book in the series, "Valiant," was in fact very good reading material, So I tried reading a free online sample and the story intrigued me so much that I purchased this copy on Kindle.
I'm very glad that I took a chance on this book and purchased it, because it's like Valiant was written by an entirely different author than The Tithe :0

Honestly, the Tithe was SUCH a rubbish book!!

Anyways, this story wasn't rubbish at all:)
It had a cohesive plot and characters you could actually care about.
It was quite gripping and it kept me turning the pages so fast that I finished it in a day.
Well done Holly Black!