Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 161 reviews
on August 13, 2017
Absolutely love this book. Intriguing all the way through. The scene with Allen, Peggy, Elizabeth, and Major Andre together with Benjamin Franklin's harmonic device made me laugh so hard because it was as if the writers of AMC's TURN read the book to draw inspiration for their show. This book also made me fall even more in love with Marquee De Lafeyette, so much so that I even purchased a book called Lafayette In The Not So United States.
on May 17, 2017
Well written novel with true like characters. This book brings to life the struggles and enormous sacrifices ordinary citizens endured to secure their/our freedom. The heart wrenching set backs and the hard fought victories, not just on the battlefield.
on November 7, 2012
Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen have another winner in their stable with their follow up work to "To Try Men's Souls". This novel has tremendous, rich and poignant history that is far too often not discussed or appreciated today. The effort, the sacrifices and the utter despair that was forged into steel and resolve that this book discusses should give us all a better appreciation for the freedoms that we have and how they were attained.

Liberty comes at a terrible price and it was paid by real human beings that allow us to live the fruits and gifts of their suffering and toiling. I loved how well researched this book was, and all of the books that this duo do together, as well as how they are able to still keep the story flowing and the pages turning.

If you like history, especially the history of how this great nation came to be, then you will love this book! I cannot wait to move on to the last installment of the series.

Gingrich and Forstchen need to keep them coming!
on July 27, 2013
I purchased this book as the sequel to "To Try Men's Souls" after hearing an interview with Newt Gingrich. Both books are worth reading for insight into the realities faced by those who fought for our independence. We learned the history in school, but not like this.

"To Try Men's Souls" should be read before this one because it sets the stage for these battles and introduces you to the characters, including the foot soldiers who are significant heroes in the story. It gives great insight into the character, leadership and intelligence of George Washington.

"Valley Forge" starts off by showing that the Congress was pretty inadequate to support efforts back in those days, and the exact text could be lifted to describe typical actions of today. It's also an interesting read for those of us living in the PA/DE/NJ area given our familiarity with the territory. I have visited Valley Forge and plan to go back now that I have read the book.

Bottom line is that these books bring the history to life and leave the reader with humble appreciation for those who went before us.
on December 13, 2010
Had I not known of the outcome, this would have been a frightening story. The pieces fell into place for us freedom lovers, but the authors give us an immense appreciation of the fact that the odds of defeating Great Britain were overwhelmingly not in our favor. And the bigger story perhaps was, in the unlikely event of gaining independence, it was unlikely that the badly split colonial population would avoid some shade of dictatorial control by those who played at the top levels of colonial government. So many moving parts, the authors remind us, and so many ways for any of them to go badly for us.

I like a book that's like watching a movie, and this one is. The imagery of the book is skillfully crafted to give the story depth and to keep the reader turning pages while sharpening appreciation of the bequest of freedom, which we seem increasingly to regard far too lightly. The book made me shiver for the men sleeping, for several weeks entirely in the open, in the misery of the Valley Forge winter, I enjoyed the opulence of Philadelphia during that era. I enjoyed the warmth and scent of a hot buttered rum, which seems to have been the hand-warmer and spirit-raiser of choice. I was glad to meet and virtually see many interesting characters.

It is solid history combined with a well-told story with an essential theme. It would be an appropriate school text, perhaps to arrest the evaporation of knowledge of the nation's most important story on which all else has been built.
on May 9, 2017
Totally enjoyed the story of this historic event. Nice not to have excessive sex thrown in as so many authors seem compelled to do.
on June 10, 2017
I love learning about the Revolutionary War and the time period, learned some new things about G. Washington.
on September 7, 2013
To Try Men's Souls and Valley Forge should be required reading for every American Citizen. Sadly, most Americans have no clue what the men, women, and children of this time in America went through to secure the freedoms we have been so careless with. These books are excellent reminders of the truth concerning the history of this country. It is a truth that is not being taught today in government schools, and it is a truth that is being covered up and ignored by those who want fundamental change in America. These books brought tears to my eyes and sadness for the price paid for our independence. The courage and resolve of the people who wanted and fought for our independence was incredibly amazing, and we owe them a debt of gratitude. I highly recommend reading both of these books. And, I highly recommend these books for your children who are old enough to read at this level.
on December 23, 2014
The authors do a wonderful job of painting a picture of what our people went through to establish this country. It certainly makes you wonder if many of us today have the fortitude to endure the hardships our ancestors had to overcome. I also appreciate the effort devoted to Washington's character. I've always believed that he was that one in a lifetime individual without whom we would never have become the great nation we are today. I was surprised at how much I liked the first book I read by Gingrich since I don't always agree with his politics. But now, I look forward to each one because we share a love of country and it's glorious history.
on January 23, 2014
This historical novel is so well written, the reader feels the presence of the very icy blast of winter weather, the frustrations and depravation visited on the Continental Army by an inept, combative, uncaring congress (sound familiar?) and the courage of General George Washington. A must read, which I believe should be required reading in our schools. Were it not for the perseverance of George Washington and the help of the French, the Americans would never have won against the superior British forces. This book and the others in this series have inspired me to delve further into the colonial history of our country, and there is much to be learned. Do yourself a favor and read this exceedingly well-written, most interesting book and the others in this series.