|Print List Price:||$18.99|
Save $13.00 (68%)
Valley of the Shadow (The Desolate Empire Book 2) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 552 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
I kinda liken this series in the realm of a pg-13 Game of Thrones-type genre. But Ochs is certainly churning these books out faster than Uncle George!!! ;)
I eagerly await the 3rd installment.
Speaking of Teodora, I would say that she makes the story interesting and fast-paced. At this point of the story, it’s her versus the rebels, so her rage and anger drives the plot. In fact, the characters on her side are constantly tasked with keeping key prisoners alive as well as whole towns and villages from getting destroyed. It’s not a job for the faint of heart. Even though I despise Teodora, it’s those feelings that made me realize that Ochs has devised quite the villain.
Another thing I enjoyed overall was Och’s ability to keep readers 100% up to speed with politics and war strategy. Never have I read a book where the strategy and results of said strategy were clearly explained—the explanation isn’t dumbed down in any way, so readers can easily follow each side’s mindset to the point where they feel like they’re a part of the intrigue as well.
I usually have a section that outlines things I didn’t enjoy, but to be honest, I couldn’t find anything that particularly bugged me. A few typos, but not distracting enough to cause a commotion. I would say that her organization of the overall story and her chapters makes it so you can easily trace and enjoy each character arc and the ending is satisfying. Everyone is accounted for, so all loose ends are tied, but with enough plot to graciously hand the baton to the next book, Hammer of the Gods.
Overall, Christina Ochs does it again by continuing the story of war, religion, and free will. Usually, there’s always a slight preference to an author’s first book over the rest, but she evenly spreads out her writing style and skills into this book without skipping a beat. Her storytelling style is controlled and engaging. If you loved Rise of the Storm, this sequel will not disappoint.
This novel is ultimately appropriate for young adults and older; intercourse and rape is mentioned but not explained in detail, in case that’s not your thing.
I would highly recommend picking up Valley of the Shadow.
Every character has fantastic growth, new ones are eager, and I even found myself feeling a little sorry for Teodora at some points. If you've read the first book, Rise of the Storm, you know how insane that idea is. Oh, and if you're wondering if our dear empress gets any worse? SHE TOTALLY DOES.
I always look forward to Ochs contributions to the Weekend Writing Warrior community (wewriwa.com). She's an amazing writer, and her love for the series is awesome. Her characters and interest in history make for a truly fantastic read, and I recommend this to all fantasy lovers. Especially if you like Game of Thrones. There are points that will touch your heart, make you gasp, hurt you, and make you want to stand up and cheer. Of course, this leaves with one more major question... What happens next?!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
When I read a book I usually get totally lost in it and I could easily be watching a movie, or even be there myself, alongside the characters.
It is just as great as the first book. Although I have classified this series as "fantasy" it truly has no classification...Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Norse & Viking
- Books > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > European
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > German
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Norse & Icelandic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Norse & Viking
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age