Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Duracell value Charger with 4 AA StayCharged Batteries 1 Kit (CEF14)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

This package (CEF14DX4N) includes four new Duracell 'Pre Charged' NiMH AA cells, plus a simple charger. The batteries are similar to the Sanyo eneloop low-self-discharge cells. In fact, based on their identical technical specifications and physical shapes of (+) and (-) terminals, I am convinced that the Duracell Pre Charged AA is actually SANYO eneloop AA underneath a different wrapper. Therefore all the good things you heard about eneloop apply to Duracell 'Pre Charged', too.

The 'value charger' (CEF14) included here, however, is not a good value because:

1. It is a timer-based dumb charger, meaning that it doesn't detect when cells are full charged. It simply charges at 360mA for 6 hours and turns off. You have to wait until your cells are fully exhausted before recharging, otherwise they will be over-charged. With a 'smart' charger, you may choose to top-off your rechargeable cells any time.

2. It can only charge either 2 or 4 AA cells in pairs. This is very inconvenient if you have appliances that require odd number of cells.

3. It can only charge two AAA cells, and you cannot charge any more AA cells at the same time.

My advice is to get the CEF23DX4N package for just a few dollars more (*). It comes with four Duracell Pre Charged cells (2xAA + 2xAAA), but the included charger (CEF23) is far superior in every aspect. It even operates from your vehicle battery, and doubles as an USB charger, too.

[Update on Dec 24, 2008]
I was only half-right when I boldly proclaimed that "Duracell Pre Charged AA are rebranded Sanyo eneloop cells" in my original review. It turns out that the first batch of Duracell AA cells I bought from Amazon are made in Japan, and those are identical to eneloop (both mechanically and electrically). But lately I bought some more Duracell AA from a warehouse club. Those are made in China, and they are identical to the Rayovac Hybrid.

[Update on Feb 15, 2010]
I have confirmed that the new Duracell 'Value Charger' has several improvements over the old model:
- Works from 100-240V AC (instead of just 120V AC)
- Able to charge 4 AAA at a time (instead of just two)
- Semi-smart charge termination (stops when BOTH cells are fully charged)
The only remaining drawback is thet it charges in pairs only.

(*) [Update on Oct 7, 2010]:
Duracell has discontinued the excellent CEF23 charger (at least in the US) last year. So prices for the remaining inventory have skyrocketed. If you need an inexpensive charger that can handle individual cell, consider the Sanyo eneloop MDR02 2-cell charger.
review image review image
3939 comments| 566 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2009
I purchased the CEF14 charger with four batteries and the charger supplied is not the same one pictured, nor is it a "dumb" charger as some have described. It can also charge four aa or aaa batteries and is not limited to two aaa's again as some have described. When I tested it, different batteries charged at different speeds and the charger switched modes to a trickle charge when a set became fully charged.

As for the batteries themselves, they do indeed seem to be comparable to Sanyo Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids at a slightly lower price.
99 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
Not sure how Duracell did it, but they solved the one con with the Ni-mH type batteries. These pre-charged, Ni-mH batteries don't discharge when not being used, so they're perfect for digital devices. This charger with 4 batteries doesn't cost much more than just the 4 batteries alone. Here's what you do: acquire twice as many of these batteries w/ the green label as what your digital camera will take. While you're using one set in your camera keep the other set in this charger. Then, when the set in the camera go dead, just swap them out with the set that's in the charger. You've always got a set of fresh batteries and no waiting for batteries to charge, plus no buying batteries for a long time. This is more expensive initially but saves a lot of $$$ in the long run.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2010
These batteries and charger were purchased at the recommendation of a friend for our son's gaming system. Once charged, these batteries are fantastic for the gaming set-up. I cannot imagine what it would cost in replacement batteries to keep the boys and their friends playing and am very grateful that these batteries exist. Rechargeable batteries have come a long way in recent years. These batteries are very efficient both in terms of how quickly they charge and how long they hold a charge. While initially more expensive that a traditional cell they quickly pay for themselves in their multiple uses. GREAT PRODUCT!
on July 7, 2011
I'm having second thoughts before getting these batteries...photography is my hobby and my slr camera uses 4aa batteries that would not last. So I decided to get the DURACELL value charger with 4aa batteries and I am greatly satisfied on how long does the battery last and due to this i bought another sets of 4aa batteries as backup. Now i am enjoying taking pictures without even worrying about my batteries!!! MORE POWER!!!
on May 21, 2010
This setup is simple. Plug it in and wait for the light to change color. It charges AA and AAA batteries. It will work in 120 and 240 systems (works throughout the world).
on February 13, 2010
I needed to get rechargeable batteries because the Wii remotes were eating AAs like crazy. This charger is a great deal and it works wonderfully and is exactly what we needed. I was a little dissapointed when I saw how much more AA rechargeable batteries cost then regular batteries. But I guess it's cheaper in the long run.
on November 24, 2011
I used to own a set of 4AA Duracell batteries and they lasted about four years. They didn't completely die out, but they lost charge within a few hours so I needed a new set. I've had this new set of duracell's for about 10 months. They work great, and can charge AAA batteries as well. I see no reason to pay more for higher quality batteries when this does the job. With my Xbox 360 controller, it would usually last me 3-5 days of gaming before i'd have to switch them out again. Recharge over night to save yourself waiting time.
on June 12, 2011
I have bought two of these now and I mainly use these batteries for my two year old's toys. The batteries come pre-charged so ready to use upon arrival. The charger is convenient and has a charge indicator. I don't have to worry about over charging and can leave it over night. The batteries sure have saved me a lot of money.
on May 24, 2011
This product is great if you have kids with LOTS of toys and games that take batteries. It only takes about 5 hours for them to charge and you SAVE so much on the cost of batteries! Great Great product!!