Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Van Der Hagen Select Shave Soap, 2.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Not just with the soap itself, mind, but with the deal. Shaving soaps, assuming one shave each morning, can last a couple of months before you need to throw a new puck into the shaving cup. If you assume about 2 months per puck, and this comes in a pack of 12...well, you see where I'm going with that. That's a GREAT value. It can be argued that shaving foams and gels last nearly as long, but the difference with shaving soap is how it works on your skin. Shaving soaps usually have special moisturizers that provide for a smoother face than regular shaving foams or gels. Also, the lather is not nearly as thick, so a lot less actually goes down your sink.

A little trick for you: Fresh out of the shower, apply baby oil to the area to be shaved, then apply the shaving soap with a shaving brush in against-the-grain strokes, like you're painting. I say baby oil instead of preshave oil because baby oil does three things: soften the skin even more, help keep the hairs in place for an easy shave, and seems to help keep the lather from running or dissolving too fast. I do it every morning and the end result is a much closer shave with less blade snags.

I've tried the generic Williams Mug soap sold at CVS, the Colonel Conk brand, and now this - and I can say the Van Der Hagen brand lathers the absolute best. It's thick without being "foamy", and applies very nicely. Don't let others who tell you "just use bar soap" fool you. You can shave with bar soap, yes...but shaving soap lathers quite differently from regular soap.

Good stuff and well worth the purchase. It's basically a dollar and some change per - which is comparable to other soap brands - but it performs like more expensive types. Mix it with a hot towel treatment and you'll be in shaving heaven.
2121 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2009
Van Der Hagens select shave soap is a suprisingly good shave soap. It lathers very well, keeps your skin soft and never dries, provides a close shave, and has a great but faint smell! I have tried many different types of shave soaps, and while van der hagen is not the best, its close enough and one of the cheapest around! Now i have tried all 3 van der hagen soaps: select, deluxe, and glycerine. deluxe and select are almost identical but the select has a slightly better scent, so I am giving the slight edge to the select, thus making the deluxe mostly useless. The glycerine however is slightly better for people who suffer easily from razor burn. Overall Van Der Hagen select shave soap(and glycerine) is a great shave soap for the price and should not be missed or avoided!
on June 13, 2010
Excellent product and service. I have tried Williams soap and other similar products. VDH, however, is by far my favorite because it 'feels' very clean and smooth when applied. There is no 'slick' feeling during and after shaving on the skin due to lubricant additives. During shaving, the blade rinses off cleanly and easily with cold water leaving no residue on the blade. After shaving, the soap washes off cleanly and completely from the face with cold water - not leaving behind any residue or odor on the skin. The 12 pack reduces cost on a per puck basis so it is much more economical. I rate both the product and the seller highly - both highly recommended.
on February 14, 2014
I prefer a old fashion double edge razor for a close shave.
I enjoy a brush lather since it is warm on the skin. This shave soap does
not dry my skin out and I am pleased with it.
One trick I learned is to place a little baby oil on my face before I lather
up. It helps the razor cut the whiskers better. I use the gel type of baby oil.

This is my 2nd order of this product and I am pleased with it.
on December 27, 2011
This seemed like a great deal on what's regarded as a decent cheap soap, so I picked up a puck the last time I was at my local pharmacy to give this a try. Everything started off well. I wasn't sure if I was fond of the scent when I opened the package, but as it lathered I really liked it. Is subtle and, yes, it is an "old man" type of scent, but I found it rather pleasing.

The lather I got wasn't bad at all. It was certainly thinker and richer than the Col. Conk I'd been using. While shaving it seemed that the razor wasn't gliding quite as nicely as with other soap even though I just popped in a fresh blade. After a moment of being on my skin I could feel irritation starting. That was odd for me since I don't have super sensitive skin or anything. As I finished shaving it got worse.

My alum block stung worse than ever and my face and neck were bright red. There was a small on my chest where I had dropped some lather while brushing my face and it too was red and irritated. Now my entire face looks and feels like a fresh sunburn.

I can't bring myself to give this only 1 star despite my bad experience since so many have little to no trouble and soap is a very personal item. For whatever reason my skin completely rejected something about this soap, and I've tolerated quite a few. Before buying this large pack I'd recommend buying one at a local store (almost all big stores sell these for about $2-3). If you like it, great, you know where to get a nice sized pack of them at. If you hate it like me, you don't have another 11 to throw out.
on February 25, 2014
This soap creates a thick, long lasting lather. I use a Parker 100% Black Badger Bristle Shaving Brush. works great for my straight razor shave. The soap is very, very, very lightly scented. should not affect the scent of your chosen after shave lotion. I have been using this soap for about 3 yrs. with absolutely no skin irritation. Which is good since this 12 pack is going to last me another 3 or 4 more years.
on March 23, 2014
I have hard water. I bought soap and cream in the $1-$10 range, and eventually figured out what lather is supposed to be like, burning my face off in the process. I also discovered that what passes as "artisan" soap is just cheap soap "base" with marketable stuff melted into it. Then discovered an EZ DIY solution: http://amzn.com/lm/R3Q4Z8M61R614L You may now advance directly to the $20 experience, my fellow cheapskates!
on October 31, 2014
This is the soap I will use over all others. It foams well and the foam stands long enough to shave comfortably even in a desert climate. What makes any Van Der Hagen soap stand out over almost every other offering is that you can microwave it or heat it over low heat and it melts. So what? It can be poured into any shape of shaving cup or bowl and fill it uniformly without that annoying air gap you get with the usual shaving cake. Any other brand that I have tried has been destroyed by heat.
on October 7, 2014
This is the only shave soap I've used, but I'm rather new to the safety razor scene. For now, I'll keep using this one, as it lathers very nicely. These have no smell or anything as I believe they are unscented. I have sensitive skin and this does not irritate my face at all. Perfect price, at about $2/per puck and they last forever!
on March 23, 2015
I thought I'd try this since there were so many good reviews, but I found it way too hard to work up a good lather. Smells clean, and is inexpensive, but definitely more a shaving 'soap' than a cream or lather. I'll stick with Taylor of Old Bond Street, Art of Shaving (pretty expensive for the amount you get) or Proraso.