Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
There's nothing quite like the gourmet vanilla beans to make your desserts stand out.
Our beans are traditionally cured over several months to ensure that the full flavor of the vanilla bean is developed. We do not sell quick cured vanilla beans where the beans are cured in 7 to 10 days.
These vanilla beans are triple inspected. The first inspection takes place during packing and is for smell, appearance, and mold. The next inspection takes place during vacuum sealing and is for mold and appearance. The final inspection takes place before shipment to ensure that the vacuum seal is intact and that there is no mold.
Gourmet vanilla beans are primarily used in desserts like creme brulee and vanilla ice cream. They can also be used in exotic main courses like Vanilla Scallops on a Skewer or Turbot with Vanilla, Asparagus Tips, and Chicken Cocoa Grue Sauce.
Some facts about vanilla beans:
- Bourbon refers to the formerly named Bourbon Islands (now Reunion) off of Madagascar. Bourbon alcohol is not used in vanilla beans.
- Vanilla beans are the second most labor intensive spice after saffron.
- They originated in Mexico.
- Vanilla beans must be hand pollinated outside of Mexico because the pollinator, the Melipona bee, cannot survive outside of Mexico.
- When the vanilla orchid blooms, it must be pollinated with 24 hours or else the boom dies and no vanilla pod is produced for that bloom.
- Vanilla is an orchid, and the beans are the fruit of the orchid.
- It is the only orchid fruit that we eat.
- There are over 200 organic compounds in vanilla. Artificial vanilla (vanillin) cannot capture the complexity of natural vanilla.
- The United States consumes roughly half of all vanilla beans produced in the world.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Cured vanilla beans.
***Storage*** Triple wrap in zip lock freezer bags immediately upon receipt. Do not freeze or refrigerate them. Store in a cool, dark place. ***Homemade Vanilla Extract*** 1) Use 1/4 pound of beans for every quart of extract that you want to make. 2) Chop the beans into 1/2 inch pieces. Do not try to slice extract grade B beans. 3) Use inexpensive name brand Vodka 70 to 90 proof (35 to 45% alcohol). 4) Shake daily for one month.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.