Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 86 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 94 reviews
on November 19, 2016
These radiator air vents are great for fast venting and adjustability on single pipe low pressure steam heating systems. Bottom line: These work very well. The adjustable aperture gives homeowners like me the ability to vary the venting rate for each radiator, and more easily balance my system. The only drawback I have had is with faster venting, you tend to pick up more moisture in the steam. The vents can get waterlogged and not function properly. These vents don't drain as well as other designs, so make sure the radiators are pitched toward the supply valve and that the supply valve is wide open. Generally you can just blow the vents out if they get water in them. If you are getting a lot of water in your vents, make sure your near boiler piping is correct, and that the boiler is skimmed and clean. Dirty or surging boilers or improper piping can cause wet steam, and lead to water hammer. Sometimes these vents can get stuck due to crud and deposits. A good soak in warm white vinegar will usually get them working again. I gave 4 stars due to the fact that I had a few that stopped working after a couple of years. Overall a pretty good vent. For great tips on understanding your steam heating system, check out Dan Holohan's books like "The Lost Art of Steam Heating". This is a must-have if you own a home with steam. FYI, 3 psi is pretty high pressure for single pipe steam. If your system is up in that range, you will damage your vents. We run on 12 oz of pressure with a vapor stat in lieu of a pressuretrol. Big savings on fuel. We also have installed 2 large Gorton main vents in a manifold on each main. This greatly improved steam delivery and cut our bills by more than half.
on February 10, 2017
I thought that I was going to love these little radiator valves and I did until my steam boiler flooded with water spraying out from all 5 radiators on our top floor. It turns out that the Varivalve does not have a float so if water makes it as far as the radiator it can spray into the room via the valve.

My temporary “fix” was to put a bowl under each valve and silver foil covering each valve downward to the bowl directing the sprayed water into said bowl.

My long-term fix was to replace all five Varivalves with Hoffman 1A Steam Air Vents (they're also variable) which have a built-in float to shut off if water makes it as far as the valve. As to the Varivalves, they’re down in the basement. Considering the water damage to our wood floors, I suggest avoiding any and all radiator valves without a float.
on March 7, 2017
So I moved into a house from the 1950s being a child of the 1980s I wasn't used to steam heat. Previous owner took good care of the house but he left me with the cheap Home Depot steam valves which are made in China and when you shake them they feel like rock candy . After a few months I noticed that we heard this whistling sound in our kitchen and I realize that the steam was escaping because the valve wouldn't close. I read a lot about different types of valves holfman an other famous brands but I didn't like the idea of having to choose the size because the size of the whole depends how much Air escapes and makes your radiator heat up faster or slower . I didn't want to be put in a situation where I spent 25 bucks on a valve and the opening was too large heating up the radiator too fast and then having it fail and having steam come out of the large opening. I thought one at first and then I started to buy more and more for each radiator they're quiet they feel like very heavy lead weights they are very durable I would recommend to anyone if they hear it hissing or if they have water dripping from one of the valves just buy it . Just take a wrench try to go counterclockwise if the valve is on your left and if it's on your right turn towards you . Just make sure that the direction looks like it's counterclockwise and if you feel too much resistance try pushing back a little bit. After you remove the old valve just take some of that pipe tape use for shower heads the white stuff and wrap it around gently are used one layer just so I could feel the threads. I installed it and tightened by hand and then I realize that the valve was upside down so I tighten the rest with the wrench but not too much you will have to use a little bit of elbow grease but don't screw it all the way in. Once in a while I do here just a tad bit of a hissing sound it's not much I figure it's expected after all air have to escape but it's a nice town like the wish wish wish not the annoying sound like this teakettle going off. I can tell it's air because I put my hand next to it and I can feel the air coming out that steam. I think I have to mention is these valves can get pretty hot so you need something really durable don't settle for the Home Depot ones even though they're cheap because eventually they'll break they just can't hold up to the pressure of steam they should be banned. I know they're like $20 plus but it is the best investment I ever made
on October 27, 2014
I Purchased these last year and am a steam fanatic. I have read many books on steam heat and have two perfectly balanced and maintained systems. I loved these the first year I had them. As for this year not so much. They have been failing left and right. As some one with 32 steam radiators between both houses it has been a terrible investment. They seem to pool water in them and then rust in position and make it very difficult to adjust them. They have also been plugin and not reopening. I have switching to Hoffman as these ones fail. These are only good for extremely hard to heat rooms that do not normally get warm.
on January 9, 2017
Ordered two of these and they both failed closed after a month of use. You can't blame it on my steam system I have three other radiators with valves that are over 15 years old and those old valves are still going strong.

It's also not a vendor issue, I went to the local plumbing supply store and all they had were these again. I purchased one and out of the box it was stuck open. Purchased a cheap $5.00 valve at the bog box store and it is working fine.
on December 15, 2016
Ordered these a couple months ago and finally got them installed two weeks ago. Sadly, both of the installed valves are spewing a few drops of condensate every time the boiler turns on, and making a mess out of my wood floor finish. I would like to return/exchange them for proper working valves, but it appears that I'm stuck outside of the 30 day return window.

I suppose if they were working as they should, I would give them more stars, but it's hard to tell how much these can actually regulate the amount of steam that gets to the radiator, assuming that valve faults are preventing them from doing their job properly.
on January 13, 2017
I purchased 12 of these in March of 2015. They have ALL failed at different points. I relied on the "no hiss" promise. Many have failed completely. I suspect that what might have been real brass is some alloy of far less quality now. So much for the company based in New Jersey. I will use them for fishing weights, I guess.
on March 25, 2017
A little pricey but worth it. I like that you csn adjust the flow easily.
on April 5, 2017