Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Vatch's Thai Street Food
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$34.99+ Free shipping

on July 18, 2014
This book uses several ingredients on a regular basis in almost all the recipes that I cannot find locally since I live in a rural area. I have not made any of them yet as a result. It is also not as vegetarian as I expected. Apparently, Thai food is not traditionally vegetarian and I did not know that before I got this book. I will probably try some of the recipes at some point if I can figure out how to substitute for the ingredients I can't find or make something that does not require them. It does look like a good book and most of the recipes don't require a great many ingredients or expensive or specialty equipment. I bought the book because my husband and I enjoy eating in a local Thai restaurant so I thought I would try to cook some of it, but it is very different. No Pad Thai recipe that I could tell, which is my husband's favorite, but that could be because it is an Americanized dish. This book is for serious Thai cooks, in my opinion.
on October 9, 2009
As a Midwesterner, I am new to Thai flavors. I can't just go to the corner and have a choice. As someone who loves new flavors, this book provides! I love hot, sweet, spicy and wow in my food and I can actually find doable recipes that I can make at home. While lemongrass is out of my reach, this book provides ideas and tastes that I can make here and that transport me to the Far East. That I might actually duplicate some of the delicious Thai street foods here is a real treat. I invite you to use this book as a guide and make your own "street food"!
I used to travel on business to Thailand freqently, so I'm always looking for authentic tasting recipes. In this book, I finally found a perfect recipe for Laab (Larb or Larp).

Plus, I really like how he tells you what region the dish is from, and many have a little history with it. Like Thai Dim Sum, for example, was an attempt of the street vendors to attract the Chinese immigrant workers in the area.

Many of these 'street' dish recipes just aren't found in other cookbooks. I enjoy just browsing through this book:)
on May 12, 2010
The pictures in this book are beautiful and it's a pleasure to read. The recipes I've tried have been excellent. My only caution is that a lot of the recipes are for deep-fried foods, which are convenient to prepare as "street food" but a pain in the butt in the home kitchen. It's definitely still worth having on your shelf.
on December 20, 2016
Most useful cookbook I've ever had. Interesting anecdotes too. If you want to cook thai food, this is the easy way.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 26, 2017
Great book, replacing my old copy I lost!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 9, 2010
Great book, I was expecting the "usuall" Thai cookbook ...... this is so much more,unusual recipes, great pictures.
on May 21, 2011
Vatch's Thai Street Food gave me a more quick and simple recipe guidebook for some of my favorite Thai recipes. They were easy to follow and tasty to eat! One of the most beautifully translated dishes was the "Steamed fish with Chili paste" or the Oo pla, I steamed white fish in beautiful little banana cups (the cups I had made the night before) and presented them to some guests to their excitement and pleasure. The presentation was gorgeous and they were a hit. Recipes are also categorized by region (North, By the Sea, Around Bangkok, etc.) with a bit of interesting history to some dishes which I always love to learn about. Great coffee table book as well, pictures are colorful and beautifully presented.
on March 14, 2007
What a remarkable book! There is as much space devoted to conveying Thai culture and food history, as there is recipes... complete with both genuine snapshots of Thailand eateries, as well as gorgeous pictures of finished products.

Book offers a nice selection of ingredient introductory material, history, cultural snippets, and cooking tips. Recipes are easy and unfussy, but not geared toward novice cooks (i.e., directions include "Fry until golden brown," doesn't tell you over what heat).

If you want a taste of Thailand cuisine, this is the book to get! Real, everyday dishes that are simple to prep.
on January 18, 2006
I bought this for my husband, an inspired cook, after returning from a year of living in Bangkok where we ate wonderful street food every day. We have one of Vatch's older cookbooks and turn to it again and again when we want to make Thai food that tastes like real Thai food and not the overly saucey, overly sweet stuff that is sold in most Thai restaurants in the U.S. This cookbook has been great! We've already made a number of the dishes, including kao mon gai (chicken and rice) and guawaydiow (street noodles). The flavors are authentic and Vatch gives a wonderful sense of what it is like to be there. This book is particularly good for those that miss the regular, everyday, and oh so delicious food that rarely appears in standard Thai cookbooks, but that is regular lunch or on the go fare in Thailand. Highly recommended.
11 comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse