- Hardcover: 704 pages
- Publisher: Phaidon Press; 1st edition (May 30, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0714849294
- ISBN-13: 978-0714849294
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 2.2 x 10.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 5.9 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 77 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #324,928 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Vefa's Kitchen Hardcover – May 30, 2009
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From Publishers Weekly
Alexiadou, a chef well-regarded in Greece for her books and TV series, has compiled recipes from every corner of the country, for every section of the menu, beginning with a delightful array of mezedes such as wine-steamed mussels and fava bean croquettes, then going through soups and salads, pasta, fish and shellfish, all kinds of meats, and baked goods. Though she certainly includes classics like pastitsio, spanakopita and baklava, AlexiadouÖs selections overall demonstrate the breadth and depth of Greek cookery with entries such as duckling with kumquats, pumpkin fritters and tangerine flutes. She opens with a brief tour of GreeceÖs main regions and their specialties, but the focus is more on cooking than chatting; a concise section offering historical tidbits and general instructions opens each chapter, and many recipes close with serving and presentation tips. AlexiadouÖs aim is to provide a wide assortment of authentically Greek dishes, bringing the country to life through the recipesÖ varied ingredients rather than through prose. Some of the ingredients, like colocasia, or sheepÖs milk, will be harder for the home cook to obtain than others, but anyone seriously interested in learning the full repertoire of Greek cooking will be willing to make the effort, just as they will want this book. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
"Lovely and well written... Phaidon has produced the authoritative tome on Greek cookery."-The Bookseller "Greek cookbook writer, TV presenter and chef Vefa Alexiadou has collected hundreds of recipes from all over Greece."-The Observer "Bulges with traditional recipes collected from all over Greece."-The Daily Telegraph magazine "Bound to become a contemporary classic... Will have you whipping up moussaka in no time. Thomas Cook magazine "The book's a stunner, beautifully designed, and should give hours of pleasure of page-flicking joy and cooking pleasure to anyone who appreciates real Greek food."-Time Out
Top customer reviews
1) I adore Moussaka, but had never made one before. It was absolutely delicious, and although an investment in time, it was a relaxing, easy recipe. And the high produce content is a nice surprise. 6 servings had 4 pounds of eggplant in it, and without a trace of bitterness. p419.
2) The Manitaria Sti Skara Me Vinegret (broiled mushrooms with vinaigrette) was fabulous and very different. There was orange juice in it. I took some liberties with the mushroom variety for aesthetics. p73.
3) Hirino Me Piperies (Pork with Peppers from Florida) p386. Wow! This may be my favorite! The pork shoulder melts into all the spiced onions and garlic, creating the richest dish, and the sweet, velvety peppers give it the perfect punch.
I have so many more flagged to try, and I can't wait!
entire experience alive. The taste is very authentic and varied. I am afraid, however, that I am not that much
of a cook and have used it less as my vacation experience wanes. It is a very large and heavy recipe book
with lots of goodies to offer, but you might want to make sure you are really going to use it a lot before you
invest. If you are more of a cook than I am, you will love it.
My favorite bonus feature ... Three built in ribbon makers! This makes menu planning much easier.
Recommend for anyone wanting to learn how to prepare Greek food right!