Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Vegan Tacos: Authentic and Inspired Recipes for Mexico's Favorite Street Food Paperback – September 2, 2014
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"Between this dish and Wyrick's many other variations on the vegan-taco theme, our Meatless Mondays (and Tuesdays, and Wednesdays...) are looking a lot more interesting." (Cookbooks 365)
About the Author
Chef Jason Wyrick is the executive chef for The Vegan Taste website. After being diagnosed with diabetes in 2001, Jason adopted a vegan lifestyle, lost 100 pounds, and reversed his diabetes. Since then, he has co-authored the NY Times bestselling book 21 Day Weightloss Kickstart with Neal Barnard, MD, became the first vegan culinary instructor in the world-famous Le Cordon Bleu program, and founded the world's first vegan food magazine, The Vegan Culinary Experience. Of Mexican and American heritage, Jason has presented for the American Dietetic Association, American Diabetes Association, Humana, The Wellness Community, and Farm Sanctuary. He is a regular guest at the Scottsdale Culinary Festival, and has catered for organizations as prestigious as Google, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, PETA, and Farm Sanctuary. He has traveled throughout Mexico and taught hundreds of vegan cooking classes all across the United States and has taught internationally in both Costa Rica and Italy. His recipes have appeared in Vegetarian Times andÂ have been featured inÂ several of Dr. Neal Barnard's books.
Top customer reviews
Vegan Tacos is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, it is all vegan with options for low oil, and gluten free on several recipes. But, this is THE most authentic and comprehensive volume on tacos available anywhere. With great subject matter and touches of family history and the history of this perfect street food, Vegan Tacos is as fun to read as it is to use for recipes. I will also mention the photos are vivid, breathtaking, and will leave you inspired.
I have had the privilege to make and eat several of these recipes already. I can’t pick a favorite, but you can’t go wrong with Tacos Veracruz (p.97) or the Tempura Tacos (p.182, my favorite) and Wyrick’s Guacamole recipe (p.234) is so fool proof but full of flavor that you will never buy store bought again
There are 17 chapters:
1. Tacos 101 – Everything you need to know about tacos
2. Taco Gear and Essential Ingredients – Equipment and ingredients for making authentic tacos
3. Nixtamal, Masa, Tortillas, and You – All about tortillas and how to make your own
4. Foundation Ingredients and Techniques – To help you build better tacos
5. Tacos de Asador – Tacos with fillings charred over an open flame
6. Tacos de Guisados – Tacos made with stewed fillings
7. Tacos de Comal – Tacos with sautéed fillings
8. Tacos Dorados – Rolled tacos fried golden and crisp
9. Los Otros Tacos – Tacos in a class by themselves
10. Tacos de Canasta – Classic breakfast ‘basket’ tacos, sauced and steamed
11. Tacos Mananeros – Breakfast tacos from both sides of the border
12. Tacos Dulces – Dessert tacos from simple to fancy, sweet and decadent
13. Fusion Tacos – Taco fusion from cuisines around the world
14. Top that Taco- recipes for chile-lime peanuts, crema, queso fresco, and more
15. Salsa and Guacamole – Authentic recipes for salsas, guacamoles and hot sauces
16. Sides – Flavorful recipes for cooking rice, beans, potatoes and more
17. Bebidas – Horchata, aquas frescas and other refreshing drinks
This is the star of my cookbook collection, and I own over 500, both vegan and not vegan. You will do yourself a flavor by grabbing a copy and grabbing a copy for your family and friends, so they can make you some tacos, too.
Most recent customer reviews
However, so far Mrs. Boss isnt into recreating any of his recipes, except we have made some of the corn...Read more