Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop STEM Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 143 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 187 reviews
on November 10, 2014
I am a vegetarian and really want to be a vegan but I struggle with eliminating dairy from my diet all together. The Veganist helped me see the cruel business of dairy and eggs and has really opened my eyes. I'm even searching for "cruelty free" dog food for my dog. While it would be great if everyone turned to a vegetarian lifestyle we know that isn't a possibility. I just wish that everyone would be more conscious of their choices and the impacts they make in the world. It is too easy for humans to "overlook" the horrible treatment of animals so the average person participates in this multiple times daily because of their choices. I do think that this books recommends too many processed vegan products rather than more natural alternatives. The fake meet products should be limited in ones diet due to ingredients like "soy protein isolate". Sticking with real, un-processed plant based foods as much as possible is the healthiest way to eat.
on December 14, 2014
Not earth shattering, not a lot of new information if you're already up to date, BUT this is a great resource for people who are exploring vegan eating for the first time. Sure you can find a lot of this stuff for free on the internet. It's better, for me anyway, to have it all located in one place and not have to pull info from everywhere on the net. Plus, there are answers to questions I wouldn't have thought to even ask - especially about viruses. No, there are no recipes, this isn't a cookbook - it's a book about a lifestyle change. The only personal issue I have with this book is that it promotes processed vegan/vegetarian foods - but, having frozen or prepared food is something that many Americans already have, so it does fit in with the "lean-in" option that the book emphasizes. Though I will point out that some of the prepared foods are NOT vegan, they are vegetarian. Read labels carefully, friends. I have already recommended this book to some people because overall it does present and promote a healthier lifestyle.
on November 27, 2012
The Veganist evangelizes all the reasons to go vegan: lose weight; minimize your risks or prevent cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, melanoma; save money; help the environment as well as stand against the horrible consequences and cruelty of todays factory industrial farming that have exploded exponentially in the hands of a few the past 30 years. It is not the family farm that people my age grew up with.

This book supports everything I've read in the past and more. It also backs up its claims with support from the American Dietetic Association, Dean Ornish and others.

Some of the facts are mind boggling:

14 billion tons of animal excrement per year. Water used for livestock. 240 trillion gallons per day. enough for every human being to take eight showers per day. 40 billion tons of soil erosion per year. Livestock sector is responsible for 19% of greenhouse gas emissions. 90% of Amazon deforestation due to raising animals.

It goes on and on. In a time of dwindling resources and population growth these are huge issues.

On a personal note, since I've lived this lifestyle imperfectly, I feel better physically. I feel happier, less moody, more alert.... I've also been very concerned about skin cancer and my diet perhaps has cleared up my areas of concern. However, I did not lose weight. I gained weight. Perhaps, as my doctor suggested, I wasn't getting enough protein and my body was storing up fat.
on December 3, 2013
Since my husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol and Type II Diabetes, we're making a real effort to eat better. Right now we're more "flexitarian" than "vegetarian" since we occasionally eat meat. But we've cut back a bunch on meat and dairy, and some of the recipes in this book are okay. But I still haven't run across any that are "wonderful". And several that were really bad. It's not easy becoming vegan in your 60's. But this book was better than others that I've seen....they were horrible. So I can't really give this a "4"....."3" is about all I can do.
on April 18, 2017
Great book
on February 20, 2013
This is a book I refer people to a LOT when they not just want to be Vegan, but healthy. I refer them to it and I keep my version simply because I cherish this book so much. I love how Kathy not only educates the reader about the foods we eat, but also about the spiritual aspect of how we eat and gives alarming, yet truthful statistics about the issue of obesity in our society AND how diet is diretly related to a lot of the diseases in our society. She does not condemn the reader, she just gives the facts! I could not put this book down!! Been vegan since September 24,2012 and will be vegan for LIFE!!!! knowledge is power!!
on January 13, 2014
I was really expecting a great book. This was not a book, I even highlighted, or referred back to. It was a waste of money.

Pretty much all the info in this book was already in my knowledge, from Food Matters, Food Inc., China Study, All the Documentaries that are out there on this subject.

Save your money because this book is merely just the same information your already know.
on April 28, 2014
I bought it in CD format for listening to during my commute. Next time around, I will be skipping the information on what happens in feed lots ... I already know way too much about this, and it's pretty graphic in spots and I don't want to listen to that again. I'm more interested at this point in ideas of how to make the vegan way of living my own. But this information is definitely worthwhile for a newbie to read or hear.
on August 6, 2014
Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World. THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE. I read it first about 3-1/2 years ago. It sounded like the old snake oil gimmic, "take this and it will cure all your ills." The claims seemed outrageous and unbelievable, and yet I couldn't resist giving it a try because the author did claim this could reverse my diabetes, lower my blood pressure, improve my cholesterol and help me lose weight. When I started doing vegan, I weighed 50 pounds more than I do today, my blood sugar was controlled but I was on the highest dosing for oral medication for it and was headed for insulin. My cholesterol was high, my triglycerides were high and I was on medication for blood pressure control. I also could not take statins because they caused muscle problems for me; niacin didn’t work for me either because of side effects. I kind of threw myself into vegan and I fasted all refined sugar, and it worked well immediately. The thing I noticed first was I had more energy, and with more energy I was able to exercise more regularly. After only 3-4 months, my blood tests showed some improvements in both my blood sugar (fasting glucose, A1c and cholesterol/triglycerides) and my blood pressure had improved some. These results really encouraged me. After 6 months, I began to count calories since the weight was not coming off consistently. I continued to fast sugar except for an occasional treat, and found that eating vegan is much more satisfying than counting calories on other diets. The complex carbohydrates are much more filling and since they don’t jerk your blood sugar around, they don’t cause that craving and hunger we fight so much to lose weight. I found that Agave syrup worked for my morning coffee and palm sugar was also a good one for various uses in cooking. Over the last 3-1/2 years, I cut back the diabetes medications at several intervals when I was getting low sugars, and after 3-1/2 years, I am completely off the diabetes medication. About 6 months ago, after being off the diabetes medications for 6 months, my A1c was 5.9. I did have to count calories and exercise as well to lose the weight, but I lost 50 pounds (I am not at an ideal weight now though, still working on it). My cholesterol has not looked this good since I was in my 30s (I am now 57 years old). I think anyone with health problems which threaten the happiness of their future, really needs to take a hard look at the vegan way of eating. We give up so much to be chronically ill, surely we can give up meat and dairy (and refined sugar) to be well. This book will teach you what you need to get started, I hope it helps you the way it helped me.
on August 3, 2013
This book has some good information but it's not what I thought it was. If you want to be convinced that you should be a vegan, then this book is for you. If you are already convinced, then you might want to get a different book that is more about the nuts and bolts of eating a vegan diet. The pantry list is good, but there are many books with that. I was hoping for more about how to go about the change, not so much of the convincing.