Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 10, 2014
I am a vegetarian and really want to be a vegan but I struggle with eliminating dairy from my diet all together. The Veganist helped me see the cruel business of dairy and eggs and has really opened my eyes. I'm even searching for "cruelty free" dog food for my dog. While it would be great if everyone turned to a vegetarian lifestyle we know that isn't a possibility. I just wish that everyone would be more conscious of their choices and the impacts they make in the world. It is too easy for humans to "overlook" the horrible treatment of animals so the average person participates in this multiple times daily because of their choices. I do think that this books recommends too many processed vegan products rather than more natural alternatives. The fake meet products should be limited in ones diet due to ingredients like "soy protein isolate". Sticking with real, un-processed plant based foods as much as possible is the healthiest way to eat.
4 people found this helpful
on November 27, 2012
The Veganist evangelizes all the reasons to go vegan: lose weight; minimize your risks or prevent cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, melanoma; save money; help the environment as well as stand against the horrible consequences and cruelty of todays factory industrial farming that have exploded exponentially in the hands of a few the past 30 years. It is not the family farm that people my age grew up with.

This book supports everything I've read in the past and more. It also backs up its claims with support from the American Dietetic Association, Dean Ornish and others.

Some of the facts are mind boggling:

14 billion tons of animal excrement per year. Water used for livestock. 240 trillion gallons per day. enough for every human being to take eight showers per day. 40 billion tons of soil erosion per year. Livestock sector is responsible for 19% of greenhouse gas emissions. 90% of Amazon deforestation due to raising animals.

It goes on and on. In a time of dwindling resources and population growth these are huge issues.

On a personal note, since I've lived this lifestyle imperfectly, I feel better physically. I feel happier, less moody, more alert.... I've also been very concerned about skin cancer and my diet perhaps has cleared up my areas of concern. However, I did not lose weight. I gained weight. Perhaps, as my doctor suggested, I wasn't getting enough protein and my body was storing up fat.
on December 3, 2013
Since my husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol and Type II Diabetes, we're making a real effort to eat better. Right now we're more "flexitarian" than "vegetarian" since we occasionally eat meat. But we've cut back a bunch on meat and dairy, and some of the recipes in this book are okay. But I still haven't run across any that are "wonderful". And several that were really bad. It's not easy becoming vegan in your 60's. But this book was better than others that I've seen....they were horrible. So I can't really give this a "4"....."3" is about all I can do.
4 people found this helpful
on December 14, 2014
Not earth shattering, not a lot of new information if you're already up to date, BUT this is a great resource for people who are exploring vegan eating for the first time. Sure you can find a lot of this stuff for free on the internet. It's better, for me anyway, to have it all located in one place and not have to pull info from everywhere on the net. Plus, there are answers to questions I wouldn't have thought to even ask - especially about viruses. No, there are no recipes, this isn't a cookbook - it's a book about a lifestyle change. The only personal issue I have with this book is that it promotes processed vegan/vegetarian foods - but, having frozen or prepared food is something that many Americans already have, so it does fit in with the "lean-in" option that the book emphasizes. Though I will point out that some of the prepared foods are NOT vegan, they are vegetarian. Read labels carefully, friends. I have already recommended this book to some people because overall it does present and promote a healthier lifestyle.
2 people found this helpful
on August 3, 2013
This book has some good information but it's not what I thought it was. If you want to be convinced that you should be a vegan, then this book is for you. If you are already convinced, then you might want to get a different book that is more about the nuts and bolts of eating a vegan diet. The pantry list is good, but there are many books with that. I was hoping for more about how to go about the change, not so much of the convincing.
3 people found this helpful
on April 18, 2016
This book was very informative and helpful when it comes to understanding a vegan diet. Kathy Freston is a great writer and it was a quick read. I enjoyed learning more about the vegan diet and incorporating some aspects into my life.
on February 20, 2013
This is a book I refer people to a LOT when they not just want to be Vegan, but healthy. I refer them to it and I keep my version simply because I cherish this book so much. I love how Kathy not only educates the reader about the foods we eat, but also about the spiritual aspect of how we eat and gives alarming, yet truthful statistics about the issue of obesity in our society AND how diet is diretly related to a lot of the diseases in our society. She does not condemn the reader, she just gives the facts! I could not put this book down!! Been vegan since September 24,2012 and will be vegan for LIFE!!!! knowledge is power!!
on August 11, 2011
I was disappointed with this book. I should have believed the low scores. If you want a book to help you defend the vegan lifestyle then this is for you. But if you want a book to help guide you into the vegan lifestyle then this is not for you. I will certainly miss bookstore where you can look through a book before purchase. This one will be donated to the library.
5 people found this helpful
on December 14, 2014
Very informative for vegans or for people on the fence whether they should be vegan. Once you read this, you will definitely never touch meat or dairy. You have to remember that there are other proteins that you can eat, it does not always have to be meat.
on April 18, 2017