Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 1,056 reviews
on February 14, 2014
I was not impressed with this book at all. What recipes I did try, I just did not like. Also, i feel like if I cooked a lot from this book, I would end up spending 500.00 on my grocery bill. Just too many special and hard to find ingredients, and the recipes are way too time consuming. If you have the time and money for it, then go for it, but i don't. If you are looking for a cookbook with simple, easy to find ingredients that you can get at your local grocery store and quick, easy recipes, then i recommend all of the Happy Herbivore cookbooks.
on December 22, 2014
Too complicated for me. I guess I'm just a simple cook.
on December 27, 2016
Ordered new paperback, received grimy used hard back... :0(. Returned for full refund...
on September 12, 2015
no pictures :(
on June 24, 2013
Too lengthy recipes for a young mom. Not enough "kid" friendly dishes for a big family. Also lacked some pictures.
on December 15, 2012
Not what I was looking for. Not easy to incorporate into my daily cooking. Deffinetly for advance vegans, not fr beginners.
on February 3, 2016
Horrible recipes. I got rid of the book.
on September 10, 2012
As a single, busy, vegetarian man from a small town with very little cooking experience I have had this book for a year, and will never use it. Most of the recipes call for things I have never heard of, and or cannot buy at a local store. It all takes far too long to prepare, even if I didn't have to go to the grocery store before every meal. I have a small kitchen. I'm not going to store 4-5 different kinds of flower, every spice known to man, fresh sprigs of every kind, and dozens of other ingredients often times for a single recipe. Can't do it. Can't afford it, don't have the time, don't have the storage space. This book has been a useful reference as to how to cook certain grains, beans, etc, but I may as well just look online. Huge disappointment. Hard to believe this is so revered.
I am new at the vegan game and hoped to get an easy and simple start. The book hype indicated that menus were included so it sounded like just a perfect match for a newbie. Before I adopted Veganism I had been using the South Beach plan which included weeks of daily menus. I expected the same from this book when I saw that it supposedly contained menus. Well, there are no daily menus. Strike one.

Next, I picked out some recipes that seemed worth trying. I took a day off to shop for the ingredients of which many were complete strangers to my repertoire of stored food and spices. Between several grocery stores and a health food store I was able to purchase most of the ingredients by stopping at the bank and taking out a second mortgage to pay for these outrageously priced items. I took another day off to prepare two of the recipes. I have now used two days for merely acquisition and preparation. Strike two.

I decided that the hours of standing in the kitchen would be rewarded with the consumption of the two recipes I had prepared. I was excited to embark on this new journey and the anticipation of consuming what the book described as delicious entrees was at a high level. I dug into my work results and learned with clarity what the taste of swill was like. Strike three. Veganomicon is out.

I went back and read some of the other reviews. One lady recommended two other books and she received favorable comments for her suggestions. I am going to buy those books and hope for better results.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2014
I have had this cookbook for several years, I frequently pull it out thinking I can find SOMETHING to make, and then put it back on the shelf. I have loads of other vegan cookbooks, all of Lindsay Nixon's Happy Herbivore, Alicia Simpson's Vegan Comfort Foods, Chloe Cascarelli, and ten or so others. I use them all the time, they are completely dog-earred. This one, I don't get it. I am basically a lacto-ovo vegetarian, that cooks vegan 50% of the time. So maybe my sense of what tastes good is just different.